Should we get Bill a little something this year?

Items that do not fit the categories above.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
dpage
14ers: 58  2 
13ers: 28 3
Trip Reports (1)

Should we get Bill a little something this year?

Post by dpage »

With the holiday season in full swing, I started thinking of those I've left off my Christmas list too long and Bill came to mind. I considered starting a GoFundMe for his new found desire to start woodworking. Knowing these tools aren't cheap and that my tiny salary barely feeds and clothes my children, I felt the need to turn to this platform instead. I considered starting another poll as to whether we go with just the tools, some classes, or an internship with Precision Peaks for him but was concerned that an additional poll would crash the server. Woodcraft is a bit far from Breckenridge but maybe we could just get him as gift card there and let him decide what he needs to whittle some new skis for whenever snow starts to fall again. Any way, just brainstorming...if I can't come up with anything good I might just donate to the site instead and hope he doesn't have a head injury from bashing his against the wall the past couple of days.
BKS
14ers: 58  5  1 
13ers: 54 7 3
Trip Reports (3)

Re: Should we get Bill a little something this year?

Post by BKS »

Was the woodworking comment bill made recently serious? or was it merely a tongue-in-cheek comment when responding to endless foolishness on the forum.

Does anybody know? If this is a real interest, I’d like to contribute to this as I buy and sell lots of woodworking tools and would love to help introduce him to the wonderful world of wood as he introduced me to my other great hobby- mountains.

There are much better and cheaper ways to get into it than walking into a woodcraft or rockler store.
peter303
14ers: 34 
13ers: 12
Trip Reports (3)

Post by peter303 »

Some previous years Bill suggested a modest donation to 14er.com expenses, say $20, and I did. I havent seen that request lately. 14ers.com is one of my favorite websites.
cougar
14ers: 58  2 
13ers: 135 2
Trip Reports (10)

Post by cougar »

A lot of woodwork these days is done with a cnc laser cutter. Those are good for making mountain images like the site logo, which would be great on coasters and charcuterie boards,, and much more.
http://www.listsofjohn.com/m/cougar

"If we don't change direction, we'll end up where we're going."
"Bushwhacking is like a box of chocolates - you never know what you're gonna get."
"Don't give up on your dreams, stay asleep"
BillMiddlebrook
Site Administrator
14ers: 58  46  19 
13ers: 172 44 37
Trip Reports (2)

Post by BillMiddlebrook »

Aww. No need to get me anything, I already bought a new ski setup for the resorts!

It takes $ to run this pig so I do appreciate donations but please don't feel obligated to donate. Aside from that, come to the gatherings if you can. I try to make it to the Spring and Fall ones and it's always a lot of fun and I get to meet new people.

I've done a lot of work on my last few homes, including some seemingly endless finish carpentry projects, but I'm not taking up any sort of woodworking.
"When I go out, I become more alive. I just love skiing. The gravitational pull. When you ski steep terrain... you can almost get a feeling of flying." -Doug Coombs
SchralpTheGnar
14ers: 51  49  1 
13ers: 38 30
Trip Reports (22)

Post by SchralpTheGnar »

I’ll send you an autographed picture.
12ersRule
14ers: 58 
13ers: 157
Trip Reports (4)

Post by 12ersRule »

Good to hear you're not taking up wood-working, Bill. A co-worker was really into that and was always coming in with his hands bandaged up in some gauze or something. It's probably a more dangerous pastime than bagging 14ners.

I donated, but am hoping you could change my username back to 49ersRule now that they're playing better, but have it automatically revert back to 12ersRule if they lose to the Seachickens this weekend.
Dave B
Trip Reports (9)

Post by Dave B »

I heard he really likes those roof-mount fly rod cases. Let's get him one of those.
Make wilderness less accessible.