Rank the state highpoints above 9k feet.

Items that do not fit the categories above.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Salient
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Rank the state highpoints above 9k feet.

Post by Salient »

Why 9k in particular? You may as well just round up to 10k or 11k since Guadeloupe Peak is 8.7k and Mt Hood is 11.2k.

(Ranking the top 13 peaks by difficulty: What It Takes)
Be the best you that you can be.
greenonion
14ers: 50  1 
13ers: 2
Trip Reports (0)

Post by greenonion »

Jakeb5260 wrote: Sun Nov 21, 2021 5:40 pm In your opinion, what are the easiest to hardest state points above 9k?
Especially looking forward to hearing what folks have to say about Gannett in WY, Borah in ID, and Granite in MT
Last edited by greenonion on Mon Nov 22, 2021 8:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
Scott P
14ers: 58  16 
13ers: 50 13
Trip Reports (16)

Post by Scott P »

Jbrow, why do you even care if you are never even going to hike anything?
I'm old, slow and fat. Unfortunately, those are my good qualities.
EigenDylan
14ers: 16  4 
13ers: 24
Trip Reports (0)

Post by EigenDylan »

https://www.summitpost.org/the-effort-s ... es/1046476

The only one I've done is "mount" sunflower, so idk the validity of this but it at least seems like someone put a lot of thought into it
docinco
14ers: 50 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by docinco »

Jakeb5260 wrote: Sun Nov 21, 2021 5:40 pm In your opinion, what are the easiest to hardest state points above 9k?
jbrow, that you again? and yet again?
Jorts
14ers: 58  4  2 
13ers: 102 11 5
Trip Reports (10)

Post by Jorts »

greenonion wrote: Sun Nov 21, 2021 11:05 pm Especially looking forward to hearing what folks have to say about Gannet in WY, Borah in ID, and Granite in MT
I can't speak to Borah or Granite. Did Gannett on Glacier Tr from Dubois. It was long (~52mi RT) but not overly technical or difficult from that approach. My party and bchalk's party (they approached from Pinedale and we randomly ran into them on Gooseneck Glacier) were stormed off at 0800 about 100 vertical feet shy of the top while we were traversing the summit ridge.

It was June. We didn't observe any open crevasses and the bergschrund was well bridged. Running from the electrical storm, I think every single one of the dozen or so of us up there navigated the berg unroped. And from there it wasn't even steep enough to glissade - plunge stepped our way down.

The Winds are so breathtaking and remote. They really dwarf the Weminuche.
Traveling light is the only way to fly.
IG: @colorado_invasive
Strava: Brent Herring
Ptglhs
14ers: 58  8 
13ers: 86 3
Trip Reports (4)

Post by Ptglhs »

Scott P wrote: Sun Nov 21, 2021 11:09 pm Jbrow, why do you even care if you are never even going to hike anything?
Considering he wasn't asking about desert peaks or employment it didn't even occur to me this might be Mr Redundant.
twhalm
14ers: 57  2 
13ers: 43
Trip Reports (2)

Post by twhalm »

Is "Jbrow" just creating accounts to skim information for a travel blog or something?
Ptglhs
14ers: 58  8 
13ers: 86 3
Trip Reports (4)

Post by Ptglhs »

greenonion wrote: Sun Nov 21, 2021 11:05 pm Especially looking forward to hearing what folks have to say about Gannett in WY, Borah in ID, and Granite in MT
Gannett peak from the Dubois, glacier trail side is a long undertaking, but not difficult. I would say it's like doing snowmass in early June, twice in a row, with easier rock. I don't know how else to analogize it to CO hikers. I brought crampons, ice axe, helmet, but not ropes. Honestly, I think if you went late June/early July when the snow bridge was in good shape you could do it with microspikes and an axe. There was one part where the slopes was 55-60°, right over the bergschrund, but that went quickly. The rock on the upper slopes was class 2. The rock in the terminal moraine and on the slopes leading up to the 1st ridge was more loose and steep. Dealing with the boulder hopping and route finding at 3am in the moraine on summit day was the hardest part.

It's a fun trip, but book enough time for it: 5 or 6 days. I did it in 4 and my feet were torn up.
pvnisher
Trip Reports (8)

Post by pvnisher »

I don't know if this guy is a freelancer who tried to get this forum to write his pieces for him or what, but that's my suspicion.
For other readers of this thread, please don't do his research for him.
docinco
14ers: 50 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by docinco »

yup, just don't feed the bro, let bill work his magic and establish his own new FKT for "this user does not exist"'.
Scott P
14ers: 58  16 
13ers: 50 13
Trip Reports (16)

Post by Scott P »

Ptglhs wrote: Mon Nov 22, 2021 9:15 am Considering he wasn't asking about desert peaks or employment it didn't even occur to me this might be Mr Redundant.
He's asked this same question before too.
I'm old, slow and fat. Unfortunately, those are my good qualities.