Rank the state highpoints above 9k feet.

Items that do not fit the categories above.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
greenonion
14ers: 50  1 
13ers: 2
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Rank the state highpoints above 9k feet.

Post by greenonion »

pvnisher wrote: Mon Nov 22, 2021 9:35 am I don't know if this guy is a freelancer who tried to get this forum to write his pieces for him or what, but that's my suspicion.
For other readers of this thread, please don't do his research for him.
Well anyway… I get the annoyance responses to probable jbrow. But I was hoping for some good content on the subject of those three cool peaks in WY MT and ID, and Ptglhs and Jorts delivered on Gannett. Thanks Ptglhs, Jorts.

Anyone want to chime in for my selfish interest in Borah and Granite? I do remember a fairly recent Borah post that was well done. Otherwise, leave jbrow alone, point made. He’s easily identified but sometimes good stuff comes out of ideas, even if formulaic from jbrow. (And dude I sincerely apologize if you’re sincerely not jbrow, scottp being the resident expert 🙄)
Aphelion
14ers: 58  17 
13ers: 48
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Aphelion »

greenonion wrote: Mon Nov 22, 2021 9:23 pm
Anyone want to chime in for my selfish interest in Borah and Granite?
I can't speak for Borah, but Granite via Froze-to-Death in early July is a solid undertaking. Early July is the same time I climbed Gannet via the Glacier trail the year before, but while Gannet was a fairly straight-forward moderate snow climb with maybe one steep section, Granite was all sorts of interesting. Lots of moderate to steep bulletproof snow, sketchy exposure on the snow bridge, and verglas completely coating the first crux that forced us to find an alternative line that was more 5.low than 4, but dry and in the sun. In early conditions I think Granite was a significantly more difficult climb than Gannet, but if you went for it in late summer or early fall after Granite melts out and Gannet's bergschrund/crevasses open up, that would likely reverse.
Scott P
14ers: 58  16 
13ers: 50 13
Trip Reports (16)

Post by Scott P »

greenonion wrote: Mon Nov 22, 2021 9:23 pm Anyone want to chime in for my selfish interest in Borah and Granite?
Borah is probably similar in technical difficulty to Pyramid, but steeper and with different scenery.
I'm old, slow and fat. Unfortunately, those are my good qualities.
Hoot
14ers: 58 
13ers: 150
Trip Reports (36)

Post by Hoot »

Jakeb5260 wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 12:41 amCan anyone here who has done Granite talk about this crux section?
I climbed Granite and Borah back-to-back this past August.

We climbed Granite via the southern approach spending one night camped at Sky Top Lakes. We were lucky to catch the southwest ramp completely dry. While we walked across some soft low-angle snow descending below the ramp, we climbed around the snow which was hard on our way up. For us, the crux climbing in the southwest ramp couloir was at most difficult class 3 in a couple of places and with minimal exposure. Thanks to beta we got from climbers hiking out, we didn't carry a rope beyond our camp and we didn't need one. There are plenty of loose rocks in the couloir and with other climbers around, there is the danger of rockfall. Both of my partners got dinged by rocks on their helmets in the couloir. But we climbed on a prime Saturday in August and there were about a dozen climbers on the route. My sense is that completely dry conditions on this route are rare. But if you get lucky as we did, Granite from the south is a very long (and beautiful) hike, with lots and lots of boulder hopping, and a fun class 3 scramble to the summit. I highly recommend this approach and route!

Borah was comparable to a more difficult Colorado 14er, but it didn't seem as difficult as Pyramid to me. Like Granite, the route was completely dry for me. The class 3 scrambling on Chicken Out Ridge was fun and never very difficult or very exposed. While I did a short easy class 4 scramble up to COR from the saddle on our return, I could have avoided that. From what I understand, crampons or microspikes will be useful on Borah most of the time.

Details in the linked reports.
docinco
14ers: 50 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by docinco »

yeah, not too hard. go do it and get back to us. holding our collective breath.
12ersRule
14ers: 58 
13ers: 157
Trip Reports (4)

Post by 12ersRule »

Whitney, Elbert, Humphreys, Wheeler - all a 4 way tie. All are walking. Some may be longer or higher than others, but in the end, it's all the same. I'lll leave it to minds greater than myself to discuss the nuances of what walking at 14500ft means vs. 13000ft.

Regular walking, not fancy walking.

angry
14ers: 58  45 
13ers: 231 8
Trip Reports (0)

Post by angry »

The only HP that really matters is Denali.
pvnisher
Trip Reports (8)

Post by pvnisher »

So is Jakeb actually jbrow?

Jake brow? Jake Brown? Brownstone? Brownlee? Brownburg?
It all seems a little too obvious, like, at least make the username different.
Yanivarc
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Yanivarc »

Kinda late to the party...

But from my previous 15 failed attempts, Kansas' "Sunflower Mountain" is BY FAR the hardest state high point. It's prominence, steepness, but absolutely stunning mountain scenery views really put Denali to shame!!! (and K2, for that matter)

Experts say that the crux of the route reaches a whopping 5 degrees. I do have to say, it is by far the toughest one of them all, no question about it.

P.S. 2nd hardest is probably Ebright Azimuth, Delaware.
timisimaginary
14ers: 3 
13ers: 1
Trip Reports (2)

Post by timisimaginary »

Yanivarc wrote: Tue Apr 12, 2022 2:58 pm Kinda late to the party...

But from my previous 15 failed attempts, Kansas' "Sunflower Mountain" is BY FAR the hardest state high point. It's prominence, steepness, but absolutely stunning mountain scenery views really put Denali to shame!!! (and K2, for that matter)

Experts say that the crux of the route reaches a whopping 5 degrees. I do have to say, it is by far the toughest one of them all, no question about it.

P.S. 2nd hardest is probably Ebright Azimuth, Delaware.
as one of those hardy souls who has managed to summit Ebright Azimuth, i can say it lives up to its reputation. it was daunting indeed, but having conquered that formidable foe, i now have the confidence to attempt other massive climbs like Florida's Britton Hill. i hear that one rivals the 8000ers in difficulty and danger, so i may have to get on the stationary bike to prepare myself.
"The decay and disintegration of this culture is astonishingly amusing if you're emotionally detached from it." - George Carlin