American Perimeter Trail

Items that do not fit the categories above.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Ptglhs
14ers: 58  8 
13ers: 86 3
Trip Reports (4)

Re: American Perimeter Trail

Post by Ptglhs »

stephakett wrote: Mon Nov 22, 2021 11:14 am Dude why does it always have to be something negative with you? constant poo-pooing other people's ideas. i still owe you that hot chocolate, though-- would that cheer you up? [-o<

anyway, i think this trail is a neat idea, but i'm with jaymz- that segment where you walk all the way across texas looks like an 800~ mi scrub brush NIGHTMARE. i'll be interested to see people attempt this in the future and how they find gear that works for so many situations over such a long period of time. i'd also be really interested to see if there would be additional loop projects for the AT area.
This didn't start out as overtly negative. I said it sounded like someone who loved through hiking and wanted to contribute something new. I then laid out why I thought it was an odd suggested route: omits the ice age trail in WI, drops southeast early and misses the Adirondacks -a really beautiful part of the country- and then runs parallel to the AT. There's a lot of trails which jump off the AT in the mid atlantic region. It's possible to head west from the AT in TN weeks stomping around Smokey Mountains National Park, were one so inclined.

I think having a 2nd north south foot path would cause a massive logistical headache and it would be better, where a through trail already exists, the AT and PCT, to ensure access to other trail systems: Smokey Mountains national park, Shenandoah, the rail trails in WV, Monogahela NF, etc. Also, parts of the Western portion of this trail, should it follow the PCT, could benefit from trail work to get through hikers off dirt roads and onto foot paths.

Not sure how this individual is planning to deal with the massive private property issues in TX, the mid west, and southern portions, or the lack of water in the SW portions. He's done a lot of through hiking, so I'm sure he's got the water access part down. I've hiked in TX, not a place I'd care to try to grind out 30+ miles a day.

Hot chocolate is nice, esoecially after winter summits.