Extended Stay Vehicles

Items that do not fit the categories above.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
CheapCigarMan
14ers: 58  2 
13ers: 108 2
Trip Reports (1)

Extended Stay Vehicles

Post by CheapCigarMan »

Several of you have updated / modified trucks, campers, vans, or vehicles designed to stay in the mountains or anywhere away from your house for extended periods. They have enough creature comforts to both live AND work from them. Showers, wifi, extended cell coverage, toilets, satellite TV, running water, stoves, etc.

Interested in such a vehicle myself I was thinking there might be some on this forum that would like to share about their ESMV "Extended Stay Mountain Vehicle" :)
Looking for design ideas, things to look for, include, tips, and places to look for such a vehicle. Advice and tips on both creature comforts and connectivity for work as well (wifi, satellite, etc.)

Discussion could include the 4WD aspect. How practical are such vehicles to get to 4WD roads and TH's.
Are there such factory stock made vehicles?
If so, pros and cons of factory made vs custom?
Shops or dealers that specialize in selling such vehicles?
Other?
I should be on a mountain
Will_E
14ers: 58  58 
13ers: 214 37
Trip Reports (21)

Re: Extended Stay Vehicles

Post by Will_E »

If I ever become independently ridiculously rich I’m buying an EarthRoamer and swapping in a manual transmission.
CheapCigarMan
14ers: 58  2 
13ers: 108 2
Trip Reports (1)

Post by CheapCigarMan »

Will_E wrote: Mon Nov 08, 2021 1:10 pm If I ever become independently ridiculously rich I’m buying an EarthRoamer and swapping in a manual transmission.
I guess so, HD model $2 million and their LTi model $700,000.
I should be on a mountain
climbingcue
14ers: 58  8  27 
13ers: 318 22 11
Trip Reports (0)

Post by climbingcue »

I would just like a AWD sprinter van with just a bed and heat. The prices for the van with nothing in them are completely out of control. Hoping the market crashes and I will be able to get one at somepoint. Until then I will be sleeping in my 4Runner.
Consecutive months with at least one 13er or 14er, 73 months
Mtnman200
14ers: 58  1 
13ers: 440
Trip Reports (85)

Post by Mtnman200 »

Ben (SupraNihilEst) has been living/working out of a van he customized. If he doesn't comment on this thread, you might want to PM him.
"Adventure without risk is not possible." - Reinhold Messner
12ersRule
14ers: 58 
13ers: 157
Trip Reports (4)

Post by 12ersRule »

My extended stay vehicle is a VAN down by the river!

two lunches
14ers: 37  2 
13ers: 59
Trip Reports (0)

Post by two lunches »

i more or less live out of my 4runner on weekends in the summertime-- if i purchased an awning with some side panels, i'd be able to set up a little shower/restroom for myself. with that small addition it would do everything i need it to. there is perhaps a little more setup/takedown time associated with not having lots of dollars to spend on a super awesome van (instead of purchasing, say, a home) but she'll get the job done.
“To walk in nature is to witness a thousand miracles.” – Mary Davis
9patrickmurphy
14ers: 50  1  2 
13ers: 320 24 2
Trip Reports (1)

Post by 9patrickmurphy »

I lived out of a 4Runner for about 4 months between graduating and starting a job. Got rid of the 4Runner earlier this year and recreated a similar setup for my Subaru Forester. It still fits a twin bed, though the headroom is reduced. Still, plenty of room to sleep in and holds all the supplies I need. I lived out of it for two weeks this past June. While the 4Runner (or a Land Cruiser, if I was richer) is a lot better offroad, it sure is nice to get 30+ mpg when I'm not trying to get to a silly remote trailhead!
bdmtns
Trip Reports (0)

Post by bdmtns »

There are so many options (van, truck bed camper, tow-behind/teardrop camper, rooftop tent, build-a-bed in the back of a truck or SUV, etc...) which is nice, and overwhelming. I think it's mostly a matter of narrowing options down to what works best for you in terms of cost and convenience. I can tell you how we came to our decision to purchase a truck bed camper.

After going back and forth between van vs truck bed camper, we opted for camper. Due to home, work, and many outdoor opportunities in very close proximity, we are essentially a one car family so adding a third vehicle seemed silly, and expensive. We already had a one ton truck to facilitate the camper. Campers are cheaper than vans. (ok, there wasn't a lot of back and forth at all) Also, by virtue of traveling with a high clearance 4wd truck, we can gain access to basically anywhere we want to go. Yes, the camper changes the handling but it's still just driving a big pickup truck. It goes.

In terms of amenities, and maximizing space...
- Hard no to a bathroom for us. We've both camped/backpacked for years and thanks to pit toilets, wag bags, the groover on long trips, and digging holes, a bathroom was absolutely not something we wanted to take up precious space. We have a solar shower type thing for when it's necessary.
- Yes to a sink and running water, however once the camper has been winterized it's back to jugs which really isn't that bad. Also yes to a built-in 2 burner stove and fridge.
- No to tv. No to wifi booster-- either we go somewhere we know there's enough service to work remotely (or in town from a coffee shop or library) or take vacation. Friends who frequently work remotely do have a Verizon booster and attest to it working.

If you have friends that have any of the options you're considering, with whom you can tag along or (ideally) borrow for a weekend, I think that's the best way to decide what you want, and then you get to start whittling down necessities, and from there stalk online sites and talk to dealers everywhere. I do know that a lot of truck bed camper manufacturers build to order, so it allows you a lot of customization.

If you have questions or want more specifics, please let me know!
Ptglhs
14ers: 58  8 
13ers: 86 3
Trip Reports (4)

Post by Ptglhs »

I have spent weeks car camping with sedans. If you're okay with 15 min of set up and tear down it's much more fuel efficient than a house on wheels. The draw back is lack of access to 4wd THs. I think a dream vehicle for me would be a short wheelbase lifted jeep which could go nearly anywhere, hopefully still get 30+ mpg (not nearly as good as my 45mpg elantra, but there are trade offs), and just have a tent and pack in back for when I wanted to head out.
Kiefer
14ers: 58  39 
13ers: 317 24
Trip Reports (20)

Post by Kiefer »

Mtnman200 wrote: Mon Nov 08, 2021 2:57 pm Ben (SupraNihilEst) has been living/working out of a van he customized. If he doesn't comment on this thread, you might want to PM him.
Second this. He gave me a tour of it one night in Ouray after dinner and that thing is freaking dope! It's SUCH an awesome way to do mountains/peaks and see the country if you can work remotely. I'm actually a bit jealous of it. :wink:
Jakomait
14ers: 58 
13ers: 181
Trip Reports (7)

Post by Jakomait »

CheapCigarMan wrote: Mon Nov 08, 2021 11:22 am Several of you have updated / modified trucks, campers, vans, or vehicles designed to stay in the mountains or anywhere away from your house for extended periods.
Other?
You need to head over to https://expeditionportal.com/ and prepare to be overwhelmed. The forum threads as as vast as the internet itself!
Giver skidoo