Extended Stay Vehicles

Items that do not fit the categories above.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
curt86iroc
14ers: 14 
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Extended Stay Vehicles

Post by curt86iroc »

climbingcue wrote: Mon Nov 08, 2021 2:26 pm I would just like a AWD sprinter van with just a bed and heat. The prices for the van with nothing in them are completely out of control. Hoping the market crashes and I will be able to get one at somepoint. Until then I will be sleeping in my 4Runner.
my hope is, in 3-5 years the markets will be swamped and the prices for decently used vans will tank...
cedica
Trip Reports (0)

Post by cedica »

curt86iroc wrote: Tue Nov 09, 2021 1:48 pm my hope is, in 3-5 years the markets will be swamped and the prices for decently used vans will tank...
Like in "soon this gig economy will end and people will have salaries and insurance and will be able to afford permanent housing instead of living in vehicles"?

Probably exact opposite of that is going to happen.
eaagaard
14ers: 16 
13ers: 2
Trip Reports (8)

Post by eaagaard »

Waiting eagerly for Justiner to chime in on this one…can’t wait for the photo(s) showing his set-up on extended adventures. :-D
RETEP 1
14ers: 58 
13ers: 38
Trip Reports (0)

Post by RETEP 1 »

I can’t really add anything when it comes to WiFi or working remote. I’ve gone from camper to pop up but I always end up back at a 4wd truck and a topper with a platform. I can store as much gear as I want underneath the platform and camp virtually anywhere I get sleepy. Probably similar to a van in some aspects but I have an 05 fx4 f250 with a topper and 50k miles that cost me under 10k…
XterraRob
14ers: 42  7 
13ers: 14
Trip Reports (4)

Post by XterraRob »

Me and 12ersrule share a lifted Plymouth Voyager.
RIP - M56
Re-introduce Grizzly Bears into the Colorado Wilderness™
Tim A
14ers: 28  3 
13ers: 51 1
Trip Reports (18)

Post by Tim A »

For the last decade I’ve lived out of my Subaru Outback in the summer for 9-10 weeks at a time during my teacher summer break. I shower every other week at a truck stop or laundromat and use public libraries to get work done about once a week. It doesn’t include much in the way of creature comforts but for the cost and mileage it’s an very affordable way to see much of the country. One can adjust to a minimalist lifestyle in just a few weeks with the right flexible attitude.

My main struggle with it has been finding places to spend time in the car on ‘off’ days (not climbing, rafting or driving) during the heat of summer. Shade is an absolute must, but this past summer in the PNW when it was triple digit heat my rest days were very uncomfortable and unfortunately involved a lot of idling to run my AC to keep from melting.
719BR
13ers: 8
Trip Reports (0)

Post by 719BR »

Tim A wrote: Wed Nov 10, 2021 5:54 am For the last decade I’ve lived out of my Subaru Outback in the summer for 9-10 weeks at a time during my teacher summer break. I shower every other week at a truck stop or laundromat and use public libraries to get work done about once a week. It doesn’t include much in the way of creature comforts but for the cost and mileage it’s an very affordable way to see much of the country. One can adjust to a minimalist lifestyle in just a few weeks with the right flexible attitude.

My main struggle with it has been finding places to spend time in the car on ‘off’ days (not climbing, rafting or driving) during the heat of summer. Shade is an absolute must, but this past summer in the PNW when it was triple digit heat my rest days were very uncomfortable and unfortunately involved a lot of idling to run my AC to keep from melting.
not trying to be a jerk, but how does one go two weeks without showering? please tell me you meant every other day. otherwise that's a bridge too far
oldschool
14ers: 58  6 
13ers: 2
Trip Reports (23)

Post by oldschool »

brichardsson wrote: Wed Nov 10, 2021 6:41 am
Tim A wrote: Wed Nov 10, 2021 5:54 am For the last decade I’ve lived out of my Subaru Outback in the summer for 9-10 weeks at a time during my teacher summer break. I shower every other week at a truck stop or laundromat and use public libraries to get work done about once a week. It doesn’t include much in the way of creature comforts but for the cost and mileage it’s an very affordable way to see much of the country. One can adjust to a minimalist lifestyle in just a few weeks with the right flexible attitude.

not trying to be a jerk, but how does one go two weeks without showering? please tell me you meant every other day. otherwise that's a bridge too far
I have done hikes of 300+ miles and had one pair of pants, one shirt, 2 pair of socks, 2 pair of underwear. It's a mind set. If you want to do it, you will. If you don't, you wont. I carry 5-7 baby wipes for each day. I wear a merino wool shirt that naturally fights bacterial smell. I hang socks and undies in the sun to kill bacteria.

It's a bridge too far only if you determine it so.....

The interesting question for yourself may be...."what is so bad about being smelly/dirty? "

Mike
"There's a feeling I get when I look to the West and my spirit is crying for leaving" Led Zeppelin
painless4u2
14ers: 58 
Trip Reports (8)

Post by painless4u2 »

Alright, alright, alright. Not showering is a thing, you know.
greasy.jpg
greasy.jpg (9.86 KiB) Viewed 1306 times
Bad decisions often make good stories.

IPAs + Ambien = "14ers" post (Bill M.)

In their hearts humans plan their course, but the Lord establishes their steps. Proverbs 16:9
timisimaginary
14ers: 3 
13ers: 1
Trip Reports (2)

Post by timisimaginary »

brichardsson wrote: Wed Nov 10, 2021 6:41 amnot trying to be a jerk, but how does one go two weeks without showering? please tell me you meant every other day. otherwise that's a bridge too far
going two weeks without a shower ain't so bad. living with someone who goes two weeks without a shower is a different story.
"The decay and disintegration of this culture is astonishingly amusing if you're emotionally detached from it." - George Carlin
timisimaginary
14ers: 3 
13ers: 1
Trip Reports (2)

Post by timisimaginary »

cedica wrote: Tue Nov 09, 2021 3:29 pm
curt86iroc wrote: Tue Nov 09, 2021 1:48 pm my hope is, in 3-5 years the markets will be swamped and the prices for decently used vans will tank...
Like in "soon this gig economy will end and people will have salaries and insurance and will be able to afford permanent housing instead of living in vehicles"?

Probably exact opposite of that is going to happen.
i don't know, everyone had pretty rad vehicles to live out of in Mad Max and Road Warrior, but a lot of them still ended up moving to the Thunderdome.
"The decay and disintegration of this culture is astonishingly amusing if you're emotionally detached from it." - George Carlin
SkaredShtles
Trip Reports (0)

Post by SkaredShtles »

oldschool wrote: Wed Nov 10, 2021 7:32 am

I have done hikes of 300+ miles and had one pair of pants, one shirt, 2 pair of socks, 2 pair of underwear. It's a mind set. If you want to do it, you will. If you don't, you wont. I carry 5-7 baby wipes for each day. I wear a merino wool shirt that naturally fights bacterial smell. I hang socks and undies in the sun to kill bacteria.

It's a bridge too far only if you determine it so.....

The interesting question for yourself may be...."what is so bad about being smelly/dirty? "
Srsly. Kids these days are awfully soft. :mrgreen: