Abandoned vs. closed

Items that do not fit the categories above.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
justiner
14ers: 58  8 
13ers: 138
Trip Reports (40)

Re: Abandoned vs. closed

Post by justiner »

letitbeirie wrote: Fri Nov 05, 2021 12:04 pm
justiner wrote: Thu Nov 04, 2021 12:10 pm Also it would be fun what Nolans 14 route segments are listed in this guidebook, that were then, "lost" to just be "found" later.
I fanned through it again and it doesn't look like there are a ton (that aren't also in modern guides), but I think I found one: Grouse Canyon. The Nolans 14 route looks like it shares the start of the route with Ormes' book by climbing the old road bed from Wendon Gulch instead of the trail from the bottom of Grouse Creek like most TRs and route descriptions.

It looks like the similarities end there though, because the Ormes book follows the road to the top and up the 3rd draw starting around 11,000, then up to the saddle with Pt 13,626 and SE down the ridge from there.
prince_ant.png
Grouse Canyon starting from Alpine is a spectacular route. Great trail getting up there - who doesn't love creepy cemeteries?. The last time I was up there, someone was doing trail work, since their burro had an accident making it through, and couldn't get down! So, while one dude was doing trail maintenance, his friends were up there, hunting, with the burro.

Ton of trees got knocked down from that big Spring we had a coupla back, but it's all cleared up.
RhodoRose
14ers: 58 
13ers: 11 3
Trip Reports (0)

Post by RhodoRose »

The old Jennings Creek route was one of my first 14ers in 1992. That steep slope was indeed horrid, worst scree I've ever encountered. Columbia was cakewalk compared. :?
But one thing I do: Forgetting what is behind and straining toward what is ahead, I press on toward the goal to win the prize for which God has called me heavenward in Christ Jesus.
Philippians 3: 13-14
MaxmimumMills4
14ers: 25 
Trip Reports (2)

Post by MaxmimumMills4 »

RhodoRose wrote: Fri Nov 05, 2021 10:24 pm The old Jennings Creek route was one of my first 14ers in 1992. That steep slope was indeed horrid, worst scree I've ever encountered. Columbia was cakewalk compared. :?
Lol I just did the Jennings Creek route a couple months ago. It was nice to beat the crowds but dang you are right that scree was gnarly! And coming down that red gully back into the basin was interesting haha
painless4u2
Trip Reports (8)

Post by painless4u2 »

MaxmimumMills4 wrote: Sat Nov 06, 2021 10:27 am Lol I just did the Jennings Creek route a couple months ago. It was nice to beat the crowds but dang you are right that scree was gnarly! And coming down that red gully back into the basin was interesting haha
Not to be a "Karen", but that trail was permanently closed due to extreme erosion. We did that route many years ago before it had closed, and it was obvious at the time how bad the conditions were getting. Not cool ignoring the closure signs...
Bad decisions often make good stories.

IPAs + Ambien = "14ers" post (Bill M.)

In their hearts humans plan their course, but the Lord establishes their steps. Proverbs 16:9
dwoodward13
14ers: 58  12 
13ers: 157 6
Trip Reports (1)

Post by dwoodward13 »

painless4u2 wrote: Sat Nov 06, 2021 12:09 pm
MaxmimumMills4 wrote: Sat Nov 06, 2021 10:27 am Lol I just did the Jennings Creek route a couple months ago. It was nice to beat the crowds but dang you are right that scree was gnarly! And coming down that red gully back into the basin was interesting haha
Not to be a "Karen", but that trail was permanently closed due to extreme erosion. We did that route many years ago before it had closed, and it was obvious at the time how bad the conditions were getting. Not cool ignoring the closure signs...
There are “two” Jennings Creek routes, the old one that is closed and the one detailed on this site (Tabs West Ridge). I suspect Rhodo is talking about it the first and Maximum the 2nd.
painless4u2
Trip Reports (8)

Post by painless4u2 »

dwoodward13 wrote: Sat Nov 06, 2021 12:30 pmThere are “two” Jennings Creek routes, the old one that is closed and the one detailed on this site (Tabs West Ridge). I suspect Rhodo is talking about it the first and Maximum the 2nd.
Perhaps, although this thread concerns "closed or abandoned" routes, so it would make sense the route referred to is the closed one. The other route, I believe, is still open.
Bad decisions often make good stories.

IPAs + Ambien = "14ers" post (Bill M.)

In their hearts humans plan their course, but the Lord establishes their steps. Proverbs 16:9