Nepal Suggestions?

Items that do not fit the categories above.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
OrngChocD
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Nepal Suggestions?

Post by OrngChocD »

Above_Treeline wrote: Fri Nov 05, 2021 8:05 pm
I just reread the op and yep, Nepal. Got Tibet in my head not sure how that happened. Seems like I even thought it was going to be harder than Nepal since China. I guess I was in a hurry earlier.

But thanks for the great info it sounds pretty doable in December etc. Maybe even better than summer? And the heads up on Mt kailash.

Even if your confusion was not on account of a Chinese=Japanese or Coloradan=Texan (oh, the horror) mindset, Tibet is not (like) Nepal, esp. where moving around in the region is concerned.

I don't want to derail OP's question about trekking in Nepal, but ICYDK, outsiders can't independently go trekking/sightseeing in Tibet (Mt Kailash/Lhasa) like they can in Nepal (or like in most of the rest of China). I haven't kept up with the latest, but AFAIK, the situation for Tibet continues to be as described here -

https://www.tibettravel.org/tibet-trave ... tibet.html

It was so when I did the Kailash trek 10 yrs ago. Limitations caused by season/services/Covid would be additional.
georgbetsy
Trip Reports (0)

Post by georgbetsy »

We got some more specific plans. We will be in Nepal for a total of 12 days, however, we will only have about 1/2 of that time for trekking. We will spend a few days in Kathmandu, then Pokhara, then 6 days Annapurna Base Camp Trek.

Will report back afterwards.
georgbetsy
Trip Reports (0)

Post by georgbetsy »

We had a wonderful 5 days of trekking to Annapurna Base Camp. Great trip from Ghandruk to Chomrong to Himalaya to MBC to Tilche and finally to Jhinu. Weather conditions were perfect with some snow above 3000m and quite a bit of snow from MBC to ABC. Very few trekkers due to Covid - this made it great for us in that we were able to connect with some of the locals - we had a guide and porter from villages along the trek. The local people - many of whom rely on a small family farm and tourism - are struggling considerably from the lack of tourists.

Absolutely amazing experience to wake up to clear skies among those mountains.
Scott P
14ers: 58  16 
13ers: 50 13
Trip Reports (16)

Post by Scott P »

georgbetsy wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 12:31 pm We had a wonderful 5 days of trekking to Annapurna Base Camp.
It sounds like you had a wonderful trip. Hopefully your next trip will be longer, but that trip you did is probably the best short trek in Nepal. It's gorgeous. Post some pics if you ever have time.
I'm old, slow and fat. Unfortunately, those are my good qualities.
benmangelsdorf
14ers: 38  6 
13ers: 29 1
Trip Reports (0)

Post by benmangelsdorf »

Wow, awesome. I second Scott, pics would be great :-D
georgbetsy
Trip Reports (0)

Post by georgbetsy »

I just finished a somewhat longer Trip Report on Summitpost with a small subset of our 1000+ pictures:

https://www.summitpost.org/annapurna-ba ... ek/1067752