Mexico

Items that do not fit the categories above.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
cougar
14ers: 58  2 
13ers: 135 2
Trip Reports (10)

Re: Mexico

Post by cougar »

d93de9f87df6c1a3ca89f96efde5db1a.jpg
d93de9f87df6c1a3ca89f96efde5db1a.jpg (87.99 KiB) Viewed 1365 times
http://www.listsofjohn.com/m/cougar

"If we don't change direction, we'll end up where we're going."
"Bushwhacking is like a box of chocolates - you never know what you're gonna get."
"Don't give up on your dreams, stay asleep"
greenonion
14ers: 50  1 
13ers: 2
Trip Reports (0)

Post by greenonion »

cougar wrote: Thu Oct 14, 2021 8:20 am d93de9f87df6c1a3ca89f96efde5db1a.jpg
Just choose a much better tequila than that rot gut.
mtn_nut
14ers: 58  14 
13ers: 35 1
Trip Reports (5)

Post by mtn_nut »

stiz wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 7:39 am Hi, as far as Mexican peaks, volcanoes within range of Mexico City,

1. which can be done mostly as a walk up, e.g. in trail runners, maybe with microspikes, ice axe but no need for more serious mountaineering gear ? Izta?

2. any issues with crime, muggings, safety when going solo?

3. any other awesome must do outdoor activities in that area?

4. basically looking for a "summer 14er" experience but obviously need to head south for that at this time of the year

Thanks!
All of them can be done with trail runners and microspikes or K-10s, recent conditions dependant. You can drive to the saddle between Orizaba and Sierra Negra with most cars that have enough power to make it up the steep grade. Sierra Negra is a good warm-up and has a telescope on the summit, and then the south route of Orizaba is basically snow-free as long as it hasn't snowed recently. Itza has a glacier, and it's pretty icy. I did it with trail runners and K-10s. Nevado Toluca and Volcan Malinche are snow-free most of the year, so unless it has snowed recently, you'll be fine and even if it has snowed, at most you'd need microspikes. Cofre de Perote is super easy, but the road up it is cobbled so prepare for a bumpy ride. SeanO has a good write up on doing the south route of Orizaba here - http://www.drdirtbag.com/2019/02/21/ori ... -malinche/ http://www.drdirtbag.com/2016/01/02/pic ... l-3h40-up/

Aljusco is a fun hike just south of Mexico City and is pretty quiet in comparison to the ones I just mentioned.

I did Volcán Paricutín and Nevado de Colima as a single trip. Paricutín is an interesting area, and you can read my notes here - https://peakbagger.com/climber/ascent.aspx?aid=1079890 and here - https://www.14ers.com/php14ers/triprepo ... trip=19257

While you are in the area around Guadalajara, you could go to Volcan Tequila. it's an easyish hike to the base, but there is a section that you might want to bring some basic rappel gear and be able to climb low 5th class - https://peakbagger.com/climber/ascent.aspx?aid=1285084

I've done a decent amount of peak bagging in Mexico, and I've never had an issue going solo or with a small group on friends. Never has anyone caused me to be concerned, but I'm a pretty big guy and I try to keep a lower profile and not draw much attention, so I'm not much of a target. I've always rented cars since then I'm on my time and I can always camp in the car if needed. Be aware that you don't NEED supplemental car insurance to rent a car in Mexico, a lot of the companies will tell you it's mandatory (it's not) but then they say they won't rent you the car if you don't buy it. I always rent cars on a Chase credit card that gives me full rental insurance, but I buy the supplemental if they force me to. Also, never pre-pay for a rental car in Mexico (or anywhere). The driving in Mexico City is pretty aggressive, so as long as you can be a decently aggressive driver, you'll be fine, otherwise, it will be overwhelming when compared to driving in the USA. And the whole don't drive at night is kind of stupid. I've never had any issues driving at night around Mexico. For some reason I get a lot of cars flashing their high beams, probably to make sure you're paying attention. Be aware that drinking and driving are more prevalent down there, so be observant.

I don't think I've ever had a bad meal in Mexico other than a chain hotel's breakfast once, and roadside food can be amazing, but people do get sick from the food more often down there, so bringing some basic meds for that isn't a bad idea. It's also hard to get tap water, so you just buy giant jugs of water at convenience stores.
nyker
14ers: 58 
13ers: 25
Trip Reports (69)

Post by nyker »

I was in Mexico twice, once in 2012 and once in 2017.

I won't suggest any more mountains, as the ones I've climbed were already mentioned. I don't think I'd do Orizaba in just spikes though. Orizaba felt like an extra high 14er done in steep snow, albeit harder especially above 16.5k given the altitude and the ice can get hard and steep. Itza was pretty cool, the view from the summit is otherworldy and the drive around to all the mountains was really nice. The main highway from Mexico City east to Puebla was packed so budget extra time for travel on that. I stayed mostly in San Miguel Zoapan which while a little one horse town, has awesome views of Orizaba. For La Malinche and Itza I camped near the trailheads.

In 2012 the risk of violence and warnings was more commonplace than in 2017, but that's not to say there was none.
I had a local Spanish speaking friend pick me up from my motel in Mexico City and drive me to base camp not far from Orizaba and Izta; That was a good idea and worth it.

You won't have much worries about crime at or near your base camps for the climbs, it will be more focused in the urban areas and on the roads. I did not see another climber on most peaks with the exception of Sierra Negra and Orizaba.
There was a lot of police activity at night around when driving around the larger cities, especially Mexico City including some car jackings. Border towns and tourist areas seemed to be worse on average than other areas.

In one remote area enroute to La Malinche, we had gotten stopped by five trucks filled with Federales and another group of armed men and were detained for an hour. They were looking for drugs and weapons, apparently a peak or two we were doing were on one of the local trafficking lanes.
No less than 20 well armed people searched every inch of the car inside and out, undeneath and our backpacks, opened up all my energy bars and water bottles and had dogs sniff them all the meanwhile a half dozen men armed rifles pointed at us watched in silence...not the most at ease I've been. I wasn't really keen on drinking my water after two dogs drooled on the now open top... They were motioning to us to follow them when after 10min discussion, my friend talked them off the ledge. If I hadn't been with him, who knows what would have happened, as down there, there seems to be a fine line between legit police and others who sort of masquerade as law enforcement.
Wentzl
14ers: 58  20 
13ers: 55
Trip Reports (49)

Post by Wentzl »

I remember this story because I was practicing law in Telluride in front of Judge Sharon Shuteran. I liked her, and we were friends. Then she went to Mexico.

https://www.telluridenews.com/news/arti ... 38c22.html

This story is a whitewash. The family fought for weeks and months over getting her body home and for some evidence to show manner of death. Over protests, a box of ashes were sent home and no report on manner or cause of death.

Take away want you want, but I have been to Mexico many times, all the way to the southern border and camping in raw areas out of my rental car. Between my first trip in 1988 and my most recent in 2012 I have seen changes that make it unlikely I will visit there again any time soon.

Travel safe, have fun!
Shorter of Breath and One Day Closer . . .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YZXKgl8turY

"Social Justice" = Injustice