Most famous person you've ever met?

Items that do not fit the categories above.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
12ersRule
14ers: 58 
13ers: 157
Trip Reports (4)

Most famous person you've ever met?

Post by 12ersRule »

The Denver Post informs me that it is former 49er QB Steve Young's birthday today. I believe he's the most famous person I've ever met, so it inspired me to kick off this thread. Met Steve Young in 1984. We were leaving a houseboat trip on Lake Powell and heading back to Redding, CA to spend the rest of the summer. Somehow, my stepmom or dad knew the people who were hosting Steve Young that summer. He was playing pro ball in the USFL with the LA Express, but still summering in Provo that year. Watched the 100m men's final in the LA Olympics on TV with he and my dad. Was a cool experience. I was already a 49er fan back then, but that encounter helped make me a 49ers fan for life.

We used to hang out after Minnesota Twins games a lot as a kid, so I've gotten a few players' autographs after games. My brother once confused Don Sutton with Bob Uecker, so he has Uecker's signature on a Don Sutton card. Despite all of Uecker's TV joviality, he didn't seem too amused with signing a Don Sutton card.

Who is the most famous person you've met, mountaineering or otherwise? On FB, I have seen friend suggestions for Ed Viesturs and Jimmy Chin on my feed, so I'm guessing y'all know some people out there.
two lunches
14ers: 37  2 
13ers: 59
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Most famous person you've ever met?

Post by two lunches »

Taylor Swift, she told me she liked my hair
“To walk in nature is to witness a thousand miracles.” – Mary Davis
douglas
14ers: 53 
13ers: 3
Trip Reports (2)

Post by douglas »

Steve Young is a good friend of my family so I've hung out with him a lot - came to my wedding, etc. - fantastic guy!
Probably the most famous person I've met was the Queen of Spain (Sofia) at the 1992 Olympics in Barcelona. She shook my hand and said "hi" while just walking by at an event.
Or maybe Buzz Aldrin (my ex-uncle), or maybe Sandra Day O'Conner. Or maybe Bruce Springsteen (at a book signing) I don't know who would be considered the most famous.
Jon Frohlich
13ers: 162 3
Trip Reports (29)

Post by Jon Frohlich »

I walked by David Spade in the bathroom of a Vegas club.
rijaca
14ers: 58  4 
13ers: 244 1 2
Trip Reports (1)

Post by rijaca »

Jon Frohlich wrote: Mon Oct 11, 2021 1:14 pm I walked by David Spade in the bathroom of a Vegas club.
I stood next to Commander Cody while in the bathroom at the Little Bear in Evergreen.

"A couple more shots of whiskey,
the women 'round here start looking good"
Matt
13ers: 208
Trip Reports (32)

Post by Matt »

Dolly Parton came to a party my grandpa threw when I was 16. I was in awe of her, um, presence.
We are all greater artists than we realize -FWN
A man is rich in proportion to the number of things he can afford to let alone. -HDT
Peak List
douglas
14ers: 53 
13ers: 3
Trip Reports (2)

Post by douglas »

Matt wrote: Mon Oct 11, 2021 1:43 pm Dolly Parton came to a party my grandpa threw when I was 16. I was in awe of her, um, presence.
That's a story that carries a lot of weight for a 16 year old!!!
Mtnman200
14ers: 58  1 
13ers: 440
Trip Reports (85)

Post by Mtnman200 »

In the mountaineering world: Gary Neptune (His parents lived in the hi-rise condo where I worked during college)
In the music world: Eric Johnson
In the political world: Gov. Price Daniel and Madelyn Murray-O'Hair
In the science world: Ilya Prigogine (Nobel Prize - Chemistry) and Tim Kopra (astronaut)
In the sports world: Lance Armstrong
In the TV/movie world: James Doohan
"Adventure without risk is not possible." - Reinhold Messner
Dave B
Trip Reports (9)

Post by Dave B »

Stood behind Martin Sheen in line at a coffee shop in Malibu. That dude's short af.

And older one, but Edward Furlong sat across the aisle from me on a flight from Vegas to LA.

Mountaineering-wise, I always like to tell the story about the time my buddy and I got s**t-face obliterated with Simon Yates and Gary Neptune at Southern Sun... well, I was s**t-face obliterated, not sure Simon was getting after it with the same vigor.
Make wilderness less accessible.
SpringsDuke
14ers: 58  2 
13ers: 15
Trip Reports (56)

Post by SpringsDuke »

On our trip up Capitol last year we meet William H Macy on the trail. He and his wife live near there and were out hiking up to Capitol Lake.
oldschool
14ers: 58  6 
13ers: 2
Trip Reports (23)

Post by oldschool »

Back in the late 90's, myself and my climbing partner Paul sat on the 2nd belay ledge of East Wall route at Lover's Leap by Lake Tahoe, CA with Royal Robbins. We sat there and spoke for almost 2 hrs.

By far the most exciting and meaning conversation I have ever had with anyone. A true legend and gentleman.
"There's a feeling I get when I look to the West and my spirit is crying for leaving" Led Zeppelin
FireOnTheMountain
14ers: 53  1  23 
13ers: 269 29
Trip Reports (23)

Post by FireOnTheMountain »

Honnold solo'd by and kindly informed us we were off-route on Epinephrine (my partner's lead and doing!) haha
Everyday is a G r A t E f U L Day here in the ID...?