Most famous person you've ever met?

Items that do not fit the categories above.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
wineguy
14ers: 58  3 
13ers: 143
Trip Reports (7)

Re: Most famous person you've ever met?

Post by wineguy »

Jay521 wrote: Thu Oct 14, 2021 5:00 pm Outside of that, I would list Richard Feynman
Wow! Richard Feynman is one of my all-time favorite people on the planet. Did he seem like a normal guy, or more like a God?
"Eventually, all things merge into one, and a river runs through it. The river was cut by the world's great flood and runs over rocks from the basement of time. On some of the rocks are timeless raindrops. Under the rocks are the words, and some of the words are theirs. I am haunted by waters." - Norman Maclean
Jay521
14ers: 42  10 
13ers: 175 22
Trip Reports (56)

Post by Jay521 »

wineguy wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 9:01 pm Wow! Richard Feynman is one of my all-time favorite people on the planet. Did he seem like a normal guy, or more like a God?
He was a pretty normal guy - for a Nobel prize winner with an IQ that is off the scale...

Seriously, he seemed pretty normal - actually a bit shy..
I take the mountain climber's approach to housekeeping - don't look down
Marmot72
14ers: 58  2 
13ers: 570 16
Trip Reports (37)

Post by Marmot72 »

I've not had many famous people run-ins, probably because I'm oblivious when moving about in the city or traveling. Got to shake hands and pose with Jerry Rice and Alex Honnold at a corporate event.

For local CO mountaineering circles, ran into Ken Nolan on Crestone Needle 11 or so years back and enjoyed the approach to Little Bear with Andrew Hamilton on his speed record attempt before he set the new crazy fast record (that meeting courtesy of Monster5). Ran into Mike Garrett on the trail from Babcock peak with Vadim last year. That was fun...we were on the true summit of Babcock and wondered about the solo hiker over on the eastern false summit. For Mike, there are much fewer "false" summits than for most of us. Had a great time talking with him on our way down the trail. Oh, and then there's some guy who took a preposition for a screen name on this site and finished the CO 13ers before he was 30; he let me tag along with him on the trail a few times back in the day.

-Steve
I have phenomenal route-finding abilities. Specifically, I have an uncanny knack for selecting the path of most resistance.
greenonion
14ers: 50  1 
13ers: 2
Trip Reports (0)

Post by greenonion »

Marmot72 wrote: Tue Oct 19, 2021 12:29 pm I've not had many famous people run-ins, probably because I'm oblivious when moving about in the city or traveling. Got to shake hands and pose with Jerry Rice and Alex Honnold at a corporate event.

For local CO mountaineering circles, ran into Ken Nolan on Crestone Needle 11 or so years back and enjoyed the approach to Little Bear with Andrew Hamilton on his speed record attempt before he set the new crazy fast record (that meeting courtesy of Monster5). Ran into Mike Garrett on the trail from Babcock peak with Vadim last year. That was fun...we were on the true summit of Babcock and wondered about the solo hiker over on the eastern false summit. For Mike, there are much fewer "false" summits than for most of us. Had a great time talking with him on our way down the trail. Oh, and then there's some guy who took a preposition for a screen name on this site and finished the CO 13ers before he was 30; he let me tag along with him on the trail a few times back in the day.

-Steve
Furthermore??
andrew85
14ers: 58  12 
13ers: 16
Trip Reports (3)

Post by andrew85 »

Also back in college I was about 20-30' from Aaron Rodgers a couple times in the dining facility. I was a freshman at Cal when he was the junior quarterback there. Marshawn Lynch and Desean Jackson also played while I was there, but I never ran into either of them as they kept the athletes pretty well separated from the rest of us :lol: .

Then as a senior, I had a city planning class with Yahya Abdul-Mateen II (Black Manta in Aquaman) and even worked on a group project with him! Pretty sure he was an architecture major so seeing him as an actor popping up in movies all over the place nowadays is kind of trippy, but good on him! =D>
thetoddman
Trip Reports (0)

Post by thetoddman »

When I was a sax player in college at Texas Tech, I got to perform with Bob Hope twice (friendly and down-to-earth guy, but quite demanding with on his own road crew), B.J. Thomas (brought to town by the local Baptist Student Association to witness how he sobered up when he found Jesus (even though he was totally wasted during the concert in front of the 15,000 Baptists in attendance that night)), and for a small reception for President Gerald Ford (very gracious to the band and right after after the 2nd assassination attempt, so security was crazy tight). All memorable experiences.
KSU Wildcat
14ers: 2 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by KSU Wildcat »

Clark Terry, trumpeter in the Tonight Show band (and a number of other big-name groups). My sophomore year in high school, just before our spring concert. I was in the bathroom, doing my business at a urinal. I heard the door open, look to my right....Clark Terry (our Featured Guest Artist). He nods at me, says, "I get nervous before concerts." I didn't exactly know what to say in reply. Just a little starstruck!
Climb on!
huffy13
14ers: 22 
13ers: 8
Trip Reports (30)

Post by huffy13 »

While living in the KC area I met George Brett and Buddy Biancalana, also a few other MLB players that lived in the KC area during the offseason that worked out at the same facility the college team I was on worked out at, also ran into Tammy Fay Bakker at the Country Club Plaza area while Christmas shopping. I've had the pleasure of meeting lots of football Hall of Famers as my FIL is the parade coordinator for the NE Ohio Buckeye Corvette Club and I've been recruited a few years to drive in the Hall of Fame Parade in Canton. Most notably I've shaken hands with Mean Joe Greene, had a beer with Franco Harris, and met many others.
Seems like the times that I need a mountain the most are the times that I can not get to them.
WVMountaineer
14ers: 58  4 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by WVMountaineer »

Burkart wrote: Sat Oct 16, 2021 9:03 pm More importantly, I'm work friends with WVMountaineer's wife, who has basically ascended to D-list celebrity status with her recent profiles on the corporate page and in a REAL MAGAZINE! =D>
Didn't know you were on here Riley! She's hated all the attention the Lucy launch campaign has brought :lol:

Also adding Justiner to my list since I attended his self propelled 100 highest presentation in Golden.
"There are two ways to measure life; the number of days you simply exist or the number of days you spend truly living your human experience." 14ers.com user goingup
greenonion
14ers: 50  1 
13ers: 2
Trip Reports (0)

Post by greenonion »

huffy13 wrote: Tue Oct 19, 2021 7:43 pm While living in the KC area I met George Brett and Buddy Biancalana, also a few other MLB players that lived in the KC area during the offseason that worked out at the same facility the college team I was on worked out at, also ran into Tammy Fay Bakker at the Country Club Plaza area while Christmas shopping. I've had the pleasure of meeting lots of football Hall of Famers as my FIL is the parade coordinator for the NE Ohio Buckeye Corvette Club and I've been recruited a few years to drive in the Hall of Fame Parade in Canton. Most notably I've shaken hands with Mean Joe Greene, had a beer with Franco Harris, and met many others.
I'd love to shake a hand that shook Mean Joe's!! Favorite Steeler of all time!
12ersRule
14ers: 58 
13ers: 157
Trip Reports (4)

Post by 12ersRule »

Great stories, really enjoying this thread. And so cool that Douglas actually knows Steve Young!

Here are a few more encounters I've had:

Dick Vitale - my brother and I were wandering in the bowels of Madison Square Garden after a college hoops game. It was a very Spinal Tap-esque scene where the entrance and exit to the 'stage' was through the basement apparently. All of the sudden, we bump into Dickie V and some of the other broadcast crew. He says to us "How do we get outta here?" I said, "haven't you been here before? " He responded "Too many times...too many times". Seemed very similar in real life to TV.

John Hickenlooper - ran into him in the bathroom of Wendys next to the Ogden before a Sonic Youth show ('The Eternal') tour.

John Calipari spoke to a group of UMass alumni after a basketball game in Louisiana. I ran into this dude from some of my classes when I was at UMass and he was totally wasted. He kept interrupting Coach Cal's speech, and I was really embarrassed and hoping that Coach Cal didn't think I was friends with that idiot.

Gerry Roach at one of the 14erWorld/Loj gatherings. He was in a boot. I asked him about it and he said that he's taken millions of steps around the world but his driveway did him in.
greenonion wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 9:18 am I'd love to shake a hand that shook Mean Joe's!! Favorite Steeler of all time!
Or get his game jersey.

Scott P
14ers: 58  16 
13ers: 50 13
Trip Reports (16)

Post by Scott P »

Now that I think about it, Margaret Thatcher was at our ribbon cutting ceremony for a company I used to work for of you count that. The next year the place (literally) exploded though and it was a really shady company. Anyway I was injured in a seperate explosion there so I try to block it out of my mind. Luckily my former bosses were prosecuted for intentionally poisoning the city water supply, but they were only given slaps on the hands.

Anyway I have met Governors and other politicians while at work, but I guess I never thought of it much since it was just business and seeing them on Highway projects isn't unusual.
I'm old, slow and fat. Unfortunately, those are my good qualities.