Out of State 14er finishers?

Items that do not fit the categories above.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
jrbren_vt
14ers: 14 
13ers: 29
Trip Reports (2)

Re: Out of State 14er finishers?

Post by jrbren_vt »

d_baker wrote: Sat Sep 25, 2021 10:29 am The Texan thread makes me wonder how many other 14er finishers did so while living outside of CO.

I think there's a Vermonter on here (jrVT something??) that I think is a finisher, and possibly even a cent finisher.
I grew up in VT, so yay Vermonsters!

Show your state pride, and let us know if you're a 14er finisher!

Remarkable dedication to do so, similar to state highpointers.
In case you are referring to me, if my peak count is showing you can see I am a long way from completing any Colorado lists. I am a long time (predominantly) lurker on this site, especially in the trip reports. I like the hiking related chatter. I did 3 vacations to Colorado through the years when I was living in New England where I climbed a handful of peaks. But its good to be overrated ;-). I do not have any class 4 ambitions, probably not even class 3 for that matter, so completing the 14er list is not on my radar. Due to a job change, I did relocate to Colorado Springs at the start of 2021. So my peak counts will go up, but my focus is class 2 or less hikes within a 2.5 hour drive of COS. I don't care how tall they are, it's more are they great hikes for me. There seem to be allot of these that will take me a while to get through. Sangre 13ers check off about everything I want in a hike/climb. Once I exhaust those I will redefine my goals from there. I do have a soft goal of climbing the most prominent peaks visible from COS, Cameron Cone and Arthur are the next ones on that list.

I have completed the NH 4000ers back in the 1990s, used to be an Adirondack 46er. The 46er club would put out a list of finishers each year and what state/province they came from. Being an hour or so from a major population center of Canada, there were also many Canadian 46er finishers. It would be interesting to see such a list for 14ers, including international climbers (before this year I think I had more Monroes, Corbetts or Grahams then Colorado peaks).

Ditto on the cheer for Vermont, I miss that place a lot, I may retire there some day, who knows. Congrats on your impressive peak list !
Best Regards
d_baker
14ers: 58  15 
13ers: 348 11
Trip Reports (59)

Post by d_baker »

jrbren_vt wrote: Sun Sep 26, 2021 7:14 pm
d_baker wrote: Sat Sep 25, 2021 10:29 am I think there's a Vermonter on here (jrVT something??) that I think is a finisher, and possibly even a cent finisher.
I grew up in VT, so yay Vermonsters!
In case you are referring to me, if my peak count is showing you can see I am a long way from completing any Colorado lists.
Yes, it was you I was thinking of but apparently I have you confused for another VT'er!
It may have been a guy from 14erWorld that I'm thinking of, but I think he might be on here too.
Regardless, good for you on recognizing a (14er) list isn't as important as what you like/prefer and looking for peaks suitable for you! The Sangres from the Springs will give you plenty to do for sure.
The next time I get to Manitou for a long spell, maybe we former VT'ers can get out for a hike!
My friend Carson had the goal/idea of doing the skyline peaks of Co Springs, or at least all those he could see from his home on W. Pikes Peak Ave.
dr_j
14ers: 58  1 
13ers: 13
Trip Reports (4)

Post by dr_j »

Also out of state, I’m in NM. It’s not as far as some, but still quite a trek going north on weekends. My small town has a number of 14er finishers among our very active, well-traveled residents.
IG: jc_solitude
greenonion
14ers: 50  1 
13ers: 2
Trip Reports (0)

Post by greenonion »

Wish I lived in CO wrote: Sun Sep 26, 2021 7:12 pm Timely thread - I just finished a few weeks ago - Snowmass!

Completed about 2/3 from Michigan, and the rest from Arizona. Would fly out from MI and rent an SUV. Flying in takes organization (if you're climbing the very next day anyway). From AZ it's a long drive, but can manage it in a day - 8 hrs to the San Juans, 12 or so hours to other ranges.

My stepdaughter lived in Steamboat for over 15 years. In our trips to see her I got interested in the mountains. Wondered what it would take to climb one. Stumbled onto 14ers.com and realized I didn't need ropes or super special knowledge (though like most I learned alot along the way), mainly just the love and dedication for it. Befriended "Mtnhub" on the forum, we agreed to hike Holy Cross and few others; that was 2008. I was hooked after that. The first three years I was able to take a week off each year - I would typically climb 8 out of the 9 days available for a week off of work. I was kind of a machine for a while that way, well more acurately a true peak bagger. Was able to do many of the easier ones those first few years. Later, life would get in the way and then it was 4 and 5 day long weekends. Have been able though to climb 14 years straight now with at least one new 14er each year. I plan to write up a composite TR sometime this fall, but so much to do at work, at home, and with family, will see if I actually write one up.

Finishing the CO 14ers from out of state: Mainly you have to love doing it, have an organized plan for each year, and be dedicated! When I say dedicated it means to be willing to get up early on a typical morning, climb the peak, recover afterwards over dinner or a late lunch, maybe shop for a few supplies or groceries, drive to the next 14er that evening, camp in the tent or SUV, and get up early and do it all again the next day. I was all about fitting in as many peaks as possible in the limited days there. It was hectic that way, but once on the trail each morning I never regretted having to get up. The occasional rest day I'd take I'd be bored and waiting to climb the next day.

Met many wonderful people along the way. Tons of great memories! I'd do it again!
+1 And congrats!
herdbull
14ers: 58 
13ers: 14
Trip Reports (1)

Post by herdbull »

Completed them all while living in Wisconsin. Took about 5 summers/falls to complete "the list". Some years there was a single trip sometime in July. A couple years I did two trips, one in summer and one in September. Living here now for 2 years I've only done 3. (2) FKT's up Humbolt and Elbert's East ridge, and (1) summit of Crestone Needle during a SAR mission. ALthough I do have my eyes on a few more :wink:
desertdog
14ers: 58  6 
13ers: 273 4
Trip Reports (1)

Post by desertdog »

I did the Cents from New Mexico. Spoiler alert, I think I’m closer to the SanJuans and Sangres than you guys on the front range 😄.
The summit is a source of power. The long view gives one knowledge and time to prepare. The summit, by virtue of the dizzying exposure, leaves one vulnerable. A bit of confidence and a dash of humility is all we get for our work. Yet to share these moments with friends is to be human. C. Anker
CaptainSuburbia
14ers: 58  35 
13ers: 125 9
Trip Reports (44)

Post by CaptainSuburbia »

desertdog wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 11:09 am I did the Cents from New Mexico. Spoiler alert, I think I’m closer to the SanJuans and Sangres than you guys on the front range 😄.
Closer than Fort Collins for sure :-D
Some day our kids will study Clash lyrics in school.
Nothing drives people crazy like people drive people crazy.
Save Challenger Point
desertdog
14ers: 58  6 
13ers: 273 4
Trip Reports (1)

Post by desertdog »

CaptainSuburbia wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 11:14 am
desertdog wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 11:09 am I did the Cents from New Mexico. Spoiler alert, I think I’m closer to the SanJuans and Sangres than you guys on the front range 😄.
Closer than Fort Collins for sure :-D
You're not close to anything way up there, well ok Longs and Meeker and Wyoming. :-D
Last edited by desertdog on Mon Sep 27, 2021 3:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The summit is a source of power. The long view gives one knowledge and time to prepare. The summit, by virtue of the dizzying exposure, leaves one vulnerable. A bit of confidence and a dash of humility is all we get for our work. Yet to share these moments with friends is to be human. C. Anker
climbingcue
14ers: 58  8  27 
13ers: 317 21 11
Trip Reports (0)

Post by climbingcue »

And closer than I am in Kremmling.

My friend from NH has 42 14ers all from out of state so far.
Consecutive months with at least one 13er or 14er, 72 months
2giqs
13ers: 37
Trip Reports (0)

Post by 2giqs »

First 9 from South Jersey and the rest from North Carolina.
Gene913
13ers: 11
Trip Reports (7)

Post by Gene913 »

Did all 58 while living on the Kansas side of the KC metro area. It took 19 years with one or more trips each summer. And lots of repeats before getting to the finisher in 2020.
Last edited by Gene913 on Wed Sep 29, 2021 6:24 am, edited 2 times in total.
"If you have faith like a grain of mustard seed, and you say to this mountain, 'move from here to there,' it will move, and nothing will be impossible for you." Matthew 17:21
RWinters
13ers: 353 1
Trip Reports (0)

Post by RWinters »

I completed them all while living in Utah. I happen to climb the CA 14ers and Rainier while based there as well. Now in CO 13ers in general are my hobby.
"It's just right there"