Kenosha, The Female Moose

Items that do not fit the categories above.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Presto
14ers: 58  6 
13ers: 308 21
Trip Reports (6)

Kenosha, The Female Moose

Post by Presto »

So, the Man and I have been using Kenosha Pass quite a bit this summer on our journeys. About 4 months ago, we noticed a lone female moose hanging out by the pond (it was early in the morning) ... I named her Kenosha (so I didn't have to keep saying "the Moose"). We have seen her many, many times since then (mornings and afternoons). In the afternoons, many people will pull over to the side of the road to take photos.

Yesterday, about 4pm, on our way back to Denver, Kenosha was there with her TWO BABIES. I've seen many moose, along with their "baby", but never seen two babies before.

Sorry, no photos.

Happy trails!
As if none of us have ever come back with a cool, quasi-epic story instead of being victim to tragic rockfall, a fatal stumble, a heart attack, an embolism, a lightning strike, a bear attack, collapsing cornice, some psycho with an axe, a falling tree, carbon monoxide, even falling asleep at the wheel getting to a mountain. If you can't accept the fact that sometimes "s**t happens", then you live with the illusion that your epic genius and profound wilderness intelligence has put you in total and complete control of yourself, your partners, and the mountain. How mystified you'll be when "s**t happens" to you! - FM
12ersRule
14ers: 58 
13ers: 157
Trip Reports (4)

Re: Kenosha, The Female Moose

Post by 12ersRule »

Very cool! Thanks for posting Presto!
HikerGuy
13ers: 426 8
Trip Reports (9)

Post by HikerGuy »

I like the name! Back in early July as I was passing the Kenosha Pass pond, I saw a bull elk, two cows and three calves. The bull, one cow and calf were in the pond and another cow with two calves was below the pond down the road a bit. Traffic was a total s**t show. That was the only time I saw them this summer, that's cool that you been able to see them multiple times.

This past Sunday I came upon a cow and calf at about 12,300' in West Lost Trail Creek basin. I always love seeing moose. Here's my crappy photo, as I was keeping my distance.
tempImagePLm791.gif
tempImagePLm791.gif (253.87 KiB) Viewed 2919 times
Last edited by HikerGuy on Thu Sep 09, 2021 9:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
yaktoleft13
14ers: 58  15 
13ers: 262 22
Trip Reports (21)

Post by yaktoleft13 »

I've seen her about 5 times this summer, the calves twice. I have low quality pictures, but they're too large for the site and I don't feel like resizing them
two lunches
14ers: 37  2 
13ers: 59
Trip Reports (0)

Post by two lunches »

great. thrilled to see even more idiots on kenosha pass taking pictures this fall. thanks for sharing OP. definitely looking forward to single lane traffic so betty pumpkin spice can photograph animals on the side of the highway for instagram
“To walk in nature is to witness a thousand miracles.” – Mary Davis
SkaredShtles
Trip Reports (0)

Post by SkaredShtles »

stephakett wrote: Wed Sep 08, 2021 1:10 pm great. thrilled to see even more idiots on kenosha pass taking pictures this fall. thanks for sharing OP. definitely looking forward to single lane traffic so betty pumpkin spice can photograph animals on the side of the highway for instagram
Trotter
14ers: 58  5 
13ers: 220 2 8
Trip Reports (10)

Post by Trotter »

stephakett wrote: Wed Sep 08, 2021 1:10 pm great. thrilled to see even more idiots on kenosha pass taking pictures this fall. thanks for sharing OP. definitely looking forward to single lane traffic so betty pumpkin spice can photograph animals on the side of the highway for instagram
:lol:

I see the moose there about 25% of the time I drive over kenosha. And a moose means you can stop in the middle of the highway to take photos, apparently. :-s
After climbing a great hill, one only finds that there are many more hills to climb. -Nelson Mandela
Whenever I climb I am followed by a dog called Ego. -Nietzsche
719BR
13ers: 8
Trip Reports (0)

Post by 719BR »

...because betty pumpkin spice trawls the dot com for her wild life viewing opportunities.
two lunches
14ers: 37  2 
13ers: 59
Trip Reports (0)

Post by two lunches »

brichardsson wrote: Thu Sep 09, 2021 7:18 am
...because betty pumpkin spice trawls the dot com for her wild life viewing opportunities.
she might not, but when she sees OMG IT'S A MOOSE on her way to/from leaf peepin' in the area, there will be no shortage of traffic. best to download my audio books now.. crappy service up there.
“To walk in nature is to witness a thousand miracles.” – Mary Davis
Tornadoman
14ers: 58  8 
13ers: 266 35
Trip Reports (12)

Post by Tornadoman »

I have seen quite a few moose up there 2018-2020, but zero this year. I must have hit the pass at the wrong times.
Climb the mountain so you can see the world, not so the world can see you.
CaptainSuburbia
14ers: 58  35 
13ers: 125 9
Trip Reports (44)

Post by CaptainSuburbia »

Cool! Thanks for sharing! I'll stop and check this out for sure.
Some day our kids will study Clash lyrics in school.
Nothing drives people crazy like people drive people crazy.
Save Challenger Point
12ersRule
13ers: 157
Trip Reports (4)

Post by 12ersRule »

Any recent sightings?