shortened thread menu on the front page

Items that do not fit the categories above.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
DArcyS
14ers: 58 
13ers: 544
Trip Reports (3)

shortened thread menu on the front page

Post by DArcyS »

Shortening the list of threads on the front page is kind of annoying because it reduces the functionality of the website. (I think this was done, and I think I remember the list of threads being longer.)

What's the point of shortening this? To show more of the mountain graphic or to conceal the number of stale threads?

The irony of this kind of amuses me, for I've been around long enough to remember the start of FourteenerWorld. Hoffmeyer, when the 'net was all fresh and new, started his website by posting images of 14ers. Then he discovered the software that enabled forums, which is when his website took off and he gained his popularity. He didn't have to develop content, he let the forum do that.

So, based upon concealing the number of threads with a shortened menu, it appears we've come full circle. It's less about the forum threads and more about showing a picture of a mountain on the front page.
ncxhjhgvbi
14ers: 58  1 
13ers: 58 2
Trip Reports (0)

Re: shortened thread menu on the front page

Post by ncxhjhgvbi »

Actually believe it only has to do with the amount of data and web traffic causing issues with loading. Shortening the list makes the site run faster in the summer months. It's less about showing pictures and more about actual functionality during the high traffic season. I believe Bill said it will revert once traffic dies down in fall.
bdloftin77
14ers: 58  1 
13ers: 58
Trip Reports (2)

Post by bdloftin77 »

Yeah. I can't find the other thread that was started about this, but Bill said he shortened the recent threads on purpose for those who aren't logged in to speed things up. Having to serve the main page up to tons of guests with extended recent threads was slowing things down.
Dave B
Trip Reports (9)

Post by Dave B »

Finally, someone is bringing Bill to task for how he manages the site he maintains as a free service to the community...
Make wilderness less accessible.
nyker
13ers: 25
Trip Reports (69)

Post by nyker »

I see a normal thread menu...
DArcyS
Trip Reports (3)

Post by DArcyS »

Dave B wrote: Thu Aug 26, 2021 10:53 am Finally, someone is bringing Bill to task for how he manages the site he maintains as a free service to the community...
Yeah, everybody needs a hobby.
BillMiddlebrook
Site Administrator
14ers: 58  46  19 
13ers: 172 44 37
Trip Reports (2)

Post by BillMiddlebrook »

When you're logged in, there is no change - 20 topics is the default and you can change it in your Display Settings. I've given members a way to customize portions of the site, including the amount of content shown in the Recent Activity area.
DArcyS wrote: Thu Aug 26, 2021 10:43 amBased upon concealing the number of threads with a shortened menu, it appears we've come full circle. It's less about the forum threads and more about showing a picture of a mountain on the front page.
Lol. I don't even know what that means. This ain't fourteener world and I don't rely on someone else's forum to be the core of the site. Using a forum for everything would not work and would severely limit the site. I've built stuff that people find useful and still spend a lot of time to keep the site going and able to handle the volume. Making a few changes to the home page lately has helped reduce the bandwidth required to serve content to people at a faster rate. It'll be ok.
"When I go out, I become more alive. I just love skiing. The gravitational pull. When you ski steep terrain... you can almost get a feeling of flying." -Doug Coombs
DArcyS
Trip Reports (3)

Post by DArcyS »

BillMiddlebrook wrote: Thu Aug 26, 2021 1:04 pm When you're logged in, there is no change - 20 topics is the default and you can change it in your Display Settings. I've given members a way to customize portions of the site, including the amount of content shown in the Recent Activity area.
Lol.
Ha, that works, thanks.

And glad you got a chuckle out of my comment, a sense of humor is a good thing to have. :-D
BillMiddlebrook
Site Administrator
14ers: 58  46  19 
13ers: 172 44 37
Trip Reports (2)

Post by BillMiddlebrook »

No problem!
"When I go out, I become more alive. I just love skiing. The gravitational pull. When you ski steep terrain... you can almost get a feeling of flying." -Doug Coombs