Most elevation gain on a climb.

Items that do not fit the categories above.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
sdkeil
14ers: 58  32 
13ers: 367 8
Trip Reports (3)

Re: Most elevation gain on a climb.

Post by sdkeil »

I did rim to rim to rim on the Grand Canyon a couple years ago and it was 45 miles and 11,355 feet of gain in a day. Definitely was a little sore the following morning :-D
Ass: (noun)
a long-eared, slow, patient, sure-footed domesticated mammal, Equus asinus, related to the horse, used chiefly as a beast of burden.
Dignus
14ers: 58  1 
13ers: 30
Trip Reports (1)

Post by Dignus »

Did New Hampshire's Presidential Traverse in about 13 hours overnight from Madison to Webster for almost 10k I think. Got a few hundred bonus feet from Madison's Howker ridge. Most I've done in Colorado is 8600 (Sunshine, Redcloud and Handies from Mill Creek). Did Wetterhorn, Matterhorn, amd Uncompahgre from lower Wetterhorn th for about 8300 I think.
Verso l'alto
-Bl. Pier Giorgio Frassati
jrbren_vt
14ers: 14 
13ers: 29
Trip Reports (2)

Post by jrbren_vt »

climbingcue wrote: Mon Aug 16, 2021 8:21 am
Will_E wrote: Mon Aug 16, 2021 8:18 am
tlerunner wrote: Mon Aug 16, 2021 8:05 am Hiked up and down Pikes Peak, turned around and did it again. Right around 15,000'.
That’s crazy. Crazy awesome.
I would go with just crazy lol
I am guessing he got to his car and realized he left his keys at the summit and had to go back for them ;-)

For me, a much more modest 6200' for one day, many years ago when I did Giant and Rocky Peak Ridge in the Adirondacks starting and finishing from New Russia, NY. I did set my Colorado PR for that this past Saturday with the Venable/Comanche loop, including the 3 peaks. My GPS said 5285'.
Best Regards
Jorts
14ers: 58  4  2 
13ers: 102 11 5
Trip Reports (10)

Post by Jorts »

Either Redcloud -> Sunshine -> Handies; Wetterhorn -> Uncompahgre at 14,925ft and 37 mi

Or Mizz-> Ox -> Bel; Huron; La Plata at 14,941ft and 30mi

Both were in a day, but with a short bit of a driving involved so bit of a disqualifier.
Traveling light is the only way to fly.
IG: @colorado_invasive
Strava: Brent Herring
WildWanderer
14ers: 58  18 
13ers: 491 13
Trip Reports (343)

Post by WildWanderer »

Pigeon and Turret from Purgatory: 12,275', 39.3 miles. This one kicked my butt because I worked all day first, drove to Durango from Castle Rock, and started around 1am.
It's a mountain: get over it.
12ersRule
14ers: 58 
13ers: 157
Trip Reports (4)

Post by 12ersRule »

"Running" - 50 miles 11000ft. Quad Rock 2019.

Hiking - 30 miles 7600-9000ft elevation gain in RMNP. Wild Basin parking lot -> Isolation Peak -> Fleur De Lis -> Mt Craig -> Ten Lake Park -> almost all of Isolation Peak -> Wild Basin. Little Bear SW Ridge showed up on our GPSs as 8000ft vert, but that's probably false.

Biking - Triple Bypass - 110 miles, 10000+ft vertical. Didn't seem as tough a day as Twin Lakes -> Aspen -> Twin Lakes over Independence Pass though or doing Pikes Peak (from Santa's Village).

Am considering attempting Wind River Peak in Wyoming in a day over Labor Day Wknd if the air is pure enough. Reports on LoJ put it around 26 miles and nearly 6000ft, but I figure I'll find a way to be less efficient than my predecessors on that. I usually do.
Last edited by 12ersRule on Mon Aug 16, 2021 2:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
WildWanderer
Trip Reports (343)

Post by WildWanderer »

Tuckerton7 wrote: Mon Aug 16, 2021 1:59 pm
WildWanderer wrote: Mon Aug 16, 2021 1:40 pm Pigeon and Turret from Purgatory: 12,275', 39.3 miles. This one kicked my butt because I worked all day first, drove to Durango from Castle Rock, and started around 1am.
Are pigeon and turret peak names? Purgatory I'm assuming is a trailhead correct?
Yes, Pigeon Peak and Turret Peak, Centennials in the San Juans. Purgatory Flats is the trailhead.
HikerGuy
14ers: 58 
13ers: 426 8
Trip Reports (9)

Post by HikerGuy »

Single day, 8,207'. Electric-Cottonwood loop in Sangres.
MtnHub
14ers: 28 
13ers: 23
Trip Reports (50)

Post by MtnHub »

On one hike in the Swiss Alps, I hiked up to Mettelhorn from Zermat and then went up to the Rothornhutte: about 8400' total gain.

Of course that was in 1990 when I was a lot younger.
martinleroux
14ers: 28 
13ers: 23
Trip Reports (2)

Post by martinleroux »

If anyone needs inspiration, here are some 24-hour records for vertical gain. Maybe they've already been broken, I didn't look very hard.

Trail-running: 53,858' (Luca Manfredi Negri, Aprica ski resort, Italy, June 13 2020, https://www.trailrunnermag.com/people/n ... n-24-hours)
Cycling: 69,449' (Nicolas Chatelet, Plateau de Beille, France, Aug 1, 2020, https://www.velonews.com/culture/a-fren ... n-24-hours)
Skimo: 78,274' (Kilian Jornet, Tusten ski area, Molde, Norway, Feb 9, 2019, https://www.outsideonline.com/outdoor-a ... ski-record)

Of course it's "easy" on a bike or skis because you get to relax on the downhills.
dhgold
Trip Reports (10)

Post by dhgold »

WildWanderer wrote: Mon Aug 16, 2021 1:40 pm Pigeon and Turret from Purgatory: 12,275', 39.3 miles. This one kicked my butt because I worked all day first, drove to Durango from Castle Rock, and started around 1am.
A few years ago I did a trip from Purgatory TH where I went up to Chicago Basin, climbed Peak 12, descended Ruby Basin to Noname Creek, climbed Peak 4 and The Heisspitz, descend Noname Creek to the Animas and then returned to Purgatory TH. The stats for this outing, IIRC (I no longer have the track), were roughly comparable to those you list above which shouldn't be the case. This prompted me to check Roach's 13er guide which has a route description for doing Pigeon and Turret from Purgatory via Ruby basin; he lists the stats for an outing very similar to yours as 31.2 miles and 9700' gain, still a big day but considerably less than what you cite. You might want to do some postprocessing on your GPX track.

I used to use Garmin Forerunner watches to track my progress. These tended to substantially overstate vertical gain. By looking at an elevation profile of a track I could calculate a more accurate figure.
WildWanderer
Trip Reports (343)

Post by WildWanderer »

dhgold wrote: Mon Aug 16, 2021 5:45 pm
A few years ago I did a trip from Purgatory TH where I went up to Chicago Basin, climbed Peak 12, descended Ruby Basin to Noname Creek, climbed Peak 4 and The Heisspitz, descend Noname Creek to the Animas and then returned to Purgatory TH. The stats for this outing, IIRC (I no longer have the track), were roughly comparable to those you list above which shouldn't be the case. This prompted me to check Roach's 13er guide which has a route description for doing Pigeon and Turret from Purgatory via Ruby basin; he lists the stats for an outing very similar to yours as 31.2 miles and 9700' gain, still a big day but considerably less than what you cite. You might want to do some postprocessing on your GPX track.

I used to use Garmin Forerunner watches to track my progress. These tended to substantially overstate vertical gain. By looking at an elevation profile of a track I could calculate a more accurate figure.
I totally get it. I took this info from Strava. My numbers were higher on CalTopo. I usually use CalTopo for consistency, but this was early on in my peak bagging days.