olympic sport climbing rather competitive

Items that do not fit the categories above.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
peter303
14ers: 34 
13ers: 12
Trip Reports (3)

olympic sport climbing rather competitive

Post by peter303 »

Americans are NOT sweeping all the medals. Good climbers from Asia and Europe. Many of the sport climbing documentaries focus on Americans and youd think they are the main players.

Kind of similar with the other new olympic sport of skateboarding. A wide geographic diversity of winners.
Otzi
14ers: 58 
13ers: 39
Trip Reports (0)

Re: olympic sport climbing rather competitive

Post by Otzi »

As far as competition (gym) climbing is concerned; Americans are known to be well behind others, especially Europe and Japan. We made impressive strides the last two to three years, but no one expects a medal from the USA. Really excited to follow, and glad it is now an Olympic sport though! America has $$$, hence the film/documentaries; but also I think most of those are outdoors, not indoors.
yaktoleft13
14ers: 58  15 
13ers: 262 22
Trip Reports (21)

Post by yaktoleft13 »

Yeah not really a surprise. The clear best men's and women's climbers, Ondra and Garnbret, are not American. And, to top it off, our likely strongest woman boulderer as of late, Natalia Grossman, didn't qualify, as the trials were so long ago and she's had a recent surge.

We've had some recent success in World Cups, and we certainly can compete for a medal, but were far from favorites
Dave B
Trip Reports (9)

Post by Dave B »

peter303 wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 12:14 pm Americans are NOT sweeping all the medals.
I blame Simone Biles and Biden.

Oh, and that farce about American exceptionalism.
Make wilderness less accessible.
dpage
14ers: 58  2 
13ers: 28 3
Trip Reports (1)

Post by dpage »

Adam Ondra and Alex Megos won't even medal.
rijaca
14ers: 58  4 
13ers: 244 1 2
Trip Reports (1)

Post by rijaca »

Megos didn’t even qualify for the finals.
"A couple more shots of whiskey,
the women 'round here start looking good"
SamWerner
14ers: 37  3 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by SamWerner »

I know it's because it's just the first time it's in the Olympics, but it's really dumb to have three very different events be part of a single medal. Seems more like a triathlon than an actual test of who the best climber is.
Been_Jammin
14ers: 58  1  1 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Been_Jammin »

I like the all around. Why not see who is the best combined... it also forces climbers out of their normal style/niche.

But, I hope future games add individual events for the three disciplines also.
12ersRule
14ers: 58 
13ers: 157
Trip Reports (4)

Post by 12ersRule »

Speed climbing just looks stupid. I don't see the point. If they're getting up that quickly, make it tougher.

Bouldering is cool, but really hard to appreciate how hard the moves are from my couch.

Lead climbing, though, I can appreciate that a little bit better. Enjoyed watching them work on that.
dpage
14ers: 58  2 
13ers: 28 3
Trip Reports (1)

Post by dpage »

rijaca wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 12:56 pm Megos didn’t even qualify for the finals.
Thanks. I didn't look before typing. It's strange to me that those 2 individuals can be regarded as the best climbers in the world but struggle with things like speed climbing or the parkour style bouldering problems.
FireOnTheMountain
14ers: 53  1  23 
13ers: 269 29
Trip Reports (23)

Post by FireOnTheMountain »

dpage wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 2:37 pmIt's strange to me that those 2 individuals can be regarded as the best climbers in the world but struggle with things like speed climbing or the parkour style bouldering problems.
That's cause they actually climb for real. Ondra can even jam, GASP!

Agree with 12ers, this version of speed climbing is about as dumb as it gets.
Everyday is a G r A t E f U L Day here in the ID...?
nunns
14ers: 43 
13ers: 5
Trip Reports (0)

Post by nunns »

Been_Jammin wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 1:16 pm I like the all around. Why not see who is the best combined... it also forces climbers out of their normal style/niche.

But, I hope future games add individual events for the three disciplines also.
It would make sense to have a format like gymnastics, with an all-around winner and individual event winners.
There is also somewhat of a precedent for a format like that in track (the decathlon + IE's), and in swimming (the individual medleys + the separate stroke events).
I'm with 12'ers; the speed climbing should be a little more challenging. As it is now it's almost like climbing a ladder.

Sean Nunn
"Thy righteousness is like the great mountains." --Psalms 36:6