Mountain Club Trouble

Items that do not fit the categories above.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
JChitwood
14ers: 58 
13ers: 51
Trip Reports (0)

Mountain Club Trouble

Post by JChitwood »

This was on my Outside Magazine news email today. Looks like they’ve got big problems in Golden.

https://outsidebusinessjournal.com/advo ... you_missed
"I'll make it." - Jimmy Chitwood
coopereitel
14ers: 58  4  1 
13ers: 45 7 4
Trip Reports (2)

Re: Mountain Club Trouble

Post by coopereitel »

It sucks when this stuff happens and then overshadows all the good that the club actually does. Hoping that this crap ends and we can get back to the mountains.
Urban Snowshoer
14ers: 42  3  2 
13ers: 20 1 1
Trip Reports (4)

Post by Urban Snowshoer »

I've been a member for awhile and it's shame--it's a good organization both in advocating for conservation and also teaching people how to enjoy the mountains safely.
rperth
Trip Reports (0)

Post by rperth »

If you are looking for beta look no further than the CMC. They have the master beta
rperth
Trip Reports (0)

Post by rperth »

A whole new meaning to post hole
DeTour
14ers: 43 
13ers: 6
Trip Reports (30)

Post by DeTour »

You know, this really isn't a topic for jokes. In fact, not taking the matter seriously is exactly what got CMC into the position it's in.

Would you be cracking jokes if one of the victims were your daughter or wife/GF? Or to look at it another way, would you post jokes in a thread about someone seriously hurt in a climbing accident? Because there are some parallels in the fallout.
------------------------------------------------------------------
Once torched by truth, a little thing like faith is easy.
Swede Landing, 'Peace Like a River'
The land is forever.
- Steve Almburg, Illinois centennial farmer
rperth
Trip Reports (0)

Post by rperth »

DeTour wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 12:35 pm You know, this really isn't a topic for jokes. In fact, not taking the matter seriously is exactly what got CMC into the position it's in.

Would you be cracking jokes if one of the victims were your daughter or wife/GF? Or to look at it another way, would you post jokes in a thread about someone seriously hurt in a climbing accident? Because there are some parallels in the fallout.

You are right it is serious. f**k the CMC. They let it go for a long time. No defending what so ever, regardless of the “good things they have done”.

But learn to take joke dude
GregMiller
14ers: 37  4  1 
13ers: 30
Trip Reports (5)

Post by GregMiller »

Or maybe learn to not make jokes about sexual harassment on a forum that the predator's victims frequent.
Still Here
been scared and battered. My hopes the wind done scattered. Snow has friz me, Sun has baked me,
Looks like between 'em they done Tried to make me
Stop laughin', stop lovin', stop livin'-- But I don't care! I'm still here!
Langston Hughes
constipated_pete
14ers: 31  2 
Trip Reports (1)

Post by constipated_pete »

Urban Snowshoer wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 6:32 pm I've been a member for awhile and it's shame--it's a good organization both in advocating for conservation and also teaching people how to enjoy the mountains safely.
A good organization? Good organizations don't " do little to protect victims of sexual harassment and exploitation by aiding Chiang’s harassing behavior for years and retaliating against them when they asked for more safety measures." The issue isn't just one person, it's that people had reported him for years and the CMC protected him and did nothing to address victim's concerns.
pvnisher
Trip Reports (8)

Post by pvnisher »

It's the same all over.
A co worker of mine filed two complaints against two separate managers, and both complaints glossed over and ended up hurting her career.
I witnessed one incident and was never asked about it as part of the "internal investigation".
For the second one, the investigation consisted of the higher manager asking the accused if it happened.
He denied it, and that was that. They said couldn't make a case of it's just he said she said.
Then I heard that in the promotion panel they were like "don't hire this lady, she'll file a complaint against you."
MFers.
ncxhjhgvbi
14ers: 58  1 
13ers: 58 2
Trip Reports (0)

Post by ncxhjhgvbi »

Somewhat but not completely related, I went to the doctor with my wife last year with acute gastro issues in a joint appointment. Her gastro issues are chronic and he has a sister with Crohn’s, her mom has IBS, and colorectal cancer runs in her family (grandma and aunt). I got a full exam, bloodwork, and meds. The male doctor, with me in the room, just asked her a few questions and didn’t do any sort of physical exam. When she brought up how her family has a history of colorectal cancer and she was worried since her issues have lasted awhile, the doctor said “well some people think the sun won’t rise tomorrow” - no joke. Really opened my eyes…
disentangled
Trip Reports (0)

Post by disentangled »

no offense but you dudes are late to the party. ain't nothing new here.