Poll: What peaks do you actively pursue?

Items that do not fit the categories above.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.

What peaks do you actively pursue?

Only 14ers (highest in Colorado!)
3%
Only 14ers and 13ers (next step: Cents, Bis, all 13ers, etc)
27%
Both 14ers and lower mountains (pursue all sorts of peaks, but mainly in the CONUS)
41%
Anything BUT Colorado 14ers (eg. 14er finishers who are seeking more solitude or those who are turned off by larger crowds - might do a few now and then, but mainly try to avoid them and focus on other peaks)
11%
High altitude: 14ers and below, plus higher peaks (thinking higher than Whitney at least, outside of the CONUS)
14%
I don't actively pursue peaks/peak lists (might sometimes go on hikes/climbs, but more spontaneously)
4%

Total votes: 123
two lunches
14ers: 37  2 
13ers: 59
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Poll: What peaks do you actively pursue?

Post by two lunches »

no list for me! i'd like to collect all 74 eventually, but i've been pretty focused on my canine companion/tackling peaks we can do together
“To walk in nature is to witness a thousand miracles.” – Mary Davis
SkaredShtles
Trip Reports (0)

Post by SkaredShtles »

None.
SursumDeorsum
14ers: 3 
13ers: 4
Trip Reports (0)

Post by SursumDeorsum »

My friend's place in Denver has a slot view between two apartment buildings toward the Rockies — we'd love to climb every peak we can see there.

We've done all the easy ones (Green Mountain, Bear and South Boulder near Boulder; Meadow and St. Vrain at the SE corner of the Wild Basin) and now have only the difficult ones left — Copeland, Alice, Chief's Head, Pagoda, Meeker, and Longs. Who knows when we'll be ready to tackle those, but in the meanwhile we'll practice on other mountains and enjoy the views and fresh air.

(If you're only going to have a limited slot view, pretty cool to have it centered on those particular mountains...)
rgsaxman
14ers: 46  3 
13ers: 22 3
Trip Reports (0)

Post by rgsaxman »

Starting in 2000 I have been slowly working through the list of 59 (went over to N Massive, so why not?!). Never set a timeframe as I live in Florida, but after having my first child last year the goal is now to finish my final 16 before age 40, 6 years from now...then I get to re-do some favorites with her later on!
Aside from the 14ers I try and focus on objectives that look interesting to me: R2R2R, eastern US peaks that have a history/cool routes (Presi traverse, Katahdin knife ridge, Black Mountain Ridge, NC in the last few years). Fred Beckey's book: The Mountains of North America has given me ideas for some cool outings recently, Black Elk Peak (Harney) in SD, Timpanogos in UT to name a couple.
Anything to get outside and keep in shape is good enough!
JacobW
14ers: 45  17  4 
13ers: 21 11 3
Trip Reports (5)

Post by JacobW »

This is what I like about peakbagger, there are so many lists of interesting peaks to go after that aren't always elevation based.
https://www.peakbagger.com/ListIndx.aspx?cid=0&unit=m#6
One of my favorite lists is Beckey's great peaks of the continent.
https://www.peakbagger.com/list.aspx?lid=5209
desertdog
14ers: 58  6 
13ers: 273 4
Trip Reports (1)

Post by desertdog »

Don't care about the 14ers, especially these days since they are so crowded. It's still a cool goal to climb them all though, and I understand why someone would want to work that list.

The number of peaks I (or anyone) have climbed does not really matter to me. It is more about the route's difficulty and getting out where there are not many people.

I like glaciers, high altitude, and technical routes. Colorado peaks help me stay in shape for those goals. The past year I have been climbing more BiCents because of travel restrictions keeping me from climbing elsewhere, and that has been fun.
Last edited by desertdog on Thu Jul 22, 2021 11:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
The summit is a source of power. The long view gives one knowledge and time to prepare. The summit, by virtue of the dizzying exposure, leaves one vulnerable. A bit of confidence and a dash of humility is all we get for our work. Yet to share these moments with friends is to be human. C. Anker
glenmiz
14ers: 58 
13ers: 121 1 3
Trip Reports (4)

Post by glenmiz »

Lists of John and Peakbagger!

I've become an experienced bushwhacker and amazingly enjoy it (when I don't lose sunglasses or tear my clothing too badly).
Aim high to end high
Scott P
14ers: 58  16 
13ers: 50 13
Trip Reports (16)

Post by Scott P »

Mostly I do random stuff rather than a set list. I don't see that choice. I'll pursue anything interesting worldwide regardless of its elevation.

My list:

https://www.summitpost.org/scott-s-wish-list/335481
I'm old, slow and fat. Unfortunately, those are my good qualities.
seano
14ers: 56 
13ers: 218
Trip Reports (3)

Post by seano »

I use various lists as jumping-off points, but am not very diligent in completing them. Some I'm "working on" include:
  • Weminuche 13ers
  • CO Bicentennials
  • WA Bulgers
  • WY 13ers
  • Sierra SPS peaks
  • Sierra 13ers
  • Lower 48 ultras
  • Cascades volcanos
  • Alps' 4000m peaks
  • Canadian Rockies 11ers
mtnkub
14ers: 58  1  7 
13ers: 116 4 4
Trip Reports (5)

Post by mtnkub »

The FMT 4Ks (pronounced ffhmmt forks), meaning the legal 4000 m peaks in the Front, Mosquito, and Ten Mile Ranges.
Not so much a specific goal; more of a go-to list for high peaks that don't require that much driving.
sigepnader
14ers: 22 
13ers: 52 1
Trip Reports (0)

Post by sigepnader »

I’m all over the place

14ers

New England’s highest peaks

NH48 in New Hampshire

Southern Sixers

Peaks in Montana, Utah

Highest State Points with actual hills or mountains.
courtc43
14ers: 58  4 
13ers: 154 7
Trip Reports (0)

Post by courtc43 »

Sometimes I put peaks on my list purely because I think they have a fun name! The Unicorn and Baldy No Es Cinco are currently two of them.