Poll: What peaks do you actively pursue?

Items that do not fit the categories above.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.

What peaks do you actively pursue?

Only 14ers (highest in Colorado!)
3%
Only 14ers and 13ers (next step: Cents, Bis, all 13ers, etc)
27%
Both 14ers and lower mountains (pursue all sorts of peaks, but mainly in the CONUS)
41%
Anything BUT Colorado 14ers (eg. 14er finishers who are seeking more solitude or those who are turned off by larger crowds - might do a few now and then, but mainly try to avoid them and focus on other peaks)
11%
High altitude: 14ers and below, plus higher peaks (thinking higher than Whitney at least, outside of the CONUS)
14%
I don't actively pursue peaks/peak lists (might sometimes go on hikes/climbs, but more spontaneously)
4%

Total votes: 123
bdloftin77
14ers: 58  1 
13ers: 58
Trip Reports (2)

Poll: What peaks do you actively pursue?

Post by bdloftin77 »

Curious what types of peaks people here are actively pursuing. I use the phrasing "actively pursuing" because if someone is mainly going after 14ers, having climbed a lower mountain doesn't need to exclude them from that pursuit.

I added option 4 (anything BUT CO 14ers) for those who have been quite turned off of the crowds on 14ers recently. Option 5 (plus high altitude peaks) is for those who are trying to get outside the continental US and climb 15,000'+ peaks, or at least ones even higher than Whitney. They probably often climb 14ers or 13ers, (or even lower ones), but have climbed higher peaks and definitely have an interest in high altitude peaks.

I'd probably put myself in option 3. It might be cool to slide into the high altitude option, but probably only for a couple peaks (Orizaba? Kilimanjaro?). Some of these could be subjective, but it's whatever category you'd most find yourself in.
ekalina
14ers: 20  1 
13ers: 44 5
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Poll: What peaks do you actively pursue?

Post by ekalina »

The major driver for me is, ironically, minimizing driving. Most of the time I would rather hike an 8er that's 45 min away than hike a 14er that requires a 2+ hr drive. Hence why my 14er progress is so slow, and why I like LoJ so much :lol:

I make exceptions of course, particularly this time of year. Gotta get in the high country once in a while.
xcrunner365
14ers: 44 
13ers: 68
Trip Reports (0)

Post by xcrunner365 »

Any peak that is ranked and/or named for me. Altitude is not a limiting factor in my book.
IntrepidXJ
14ers: 34 
13ers: 63
Trip Reports (90)

Post by IntrepidXJ »

Whatever I feel like at the moment. I'm out for the experience and the scenery, not chasing after a list.

I usually try to get in a 14er or so each year, but this may be the first year in over a decade that I don't since I try to avoid the crowds...
Last edited by IntrepidXJ on Wed Jul 21, 2021 1:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Randy Langstraat | ADVENTR.co
ncxhjhgvbi
14ers: 58  1 
13ers: 58 2
Trip Reports (0)

Post by ncxhjhgvbi »

ekalina wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 1:46 pm The major driver for me is, ironically, minimizing driving.
I feel this for sure. I was hoping to finish the 14ers this year, and I definitely still have the time to do so, but driving (and overall time committment) has been a big deterrant. I screwed up and saved a lot of the more distant/time-intensive hikes for later in my journey. Work travel has unfortunately started up again and I'd much rather hit something closer to Denver on a Saturday after travelling all week. Plus after not seeing my wife I'd rather spend time with her on a hike she wants to do.
Kiefer
14ers: 58  39 
13ers: 317 24
Trip Reports (18)

Post by Kiefer »

I pursue pretty much everything. Every class of peak, altitude range and location has tangents to impart & teach.

14ers- Because no matter how you slice it, getting at altitude is a cool thing to do. If standard routes and crowds get on your nerves, utilize non-standard or technical routes. It's an easy fix.
13ers- This opens up the playing field dramatically & exponentially. It also expands on degree of difficulty and available routes (both go hand-in-hand). And crowds do lessen. If you ONLY focused on 14ers,
you'd never see or experience Wham, Never Summer Range, Tetons, the Northern Sangres, the Wasatch etc.
Below 13K- I've done 9'ers that are harder than any 14er/13er because of technical difficulty, route-finding, private property issues & navigation. Plus, pursuing these lower peaks gets
you to experience parts of the state (or other states) that you would normally know nothing about or ever see. I've learned to appreciate the Gateway area & Paradox Valley because of this.

Simply getting outside into the wilderness is a reward. Period.
HikerGuy
14ers: 58 
13ers: 426 8
Trip Reports (9)

Post by HikerGuy »

13K and above in Colorado. I won't complete them all, but it does provide a good reasonable list of peaks to chip away at and measure progress.
Chicago Transplant
14ers: 58  12  24 
13ers: 697 39 34
Trip Reports (66)

Post by Chicago Transplant »

I climb pretty much anything but active focus these days are mostly Wilderness or County completion lists, Highest 700, and 13er repeats. I don't climb many 14ers a year, usually trying to get a new seasonal grid if I do. I climb all kinds of random low peaks that aren't really on any lists also if they are convenient to an area I am camped or driving through.
"We want the unpopular challenge. We want to test our intellect!" - Snapcase
"You are not what you own" - Fugazi
"Life's a mountain not a beach" - Fortune Cookie I got at lunch the other day
dpage
14ers: 58  2 
13ers: 28 3
Trip Reports (1)

Post by dpage »

Rocky Mountain National Park named and/or ranked peaks and anything in the Flatirons not that my life let's me get out for either as much as I would like.
Jenna N S
14ers: 36  2 
13ers: 24 2
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Jenna N S »

My goal is to be outdoors, push myself physically and mentally, and have fun. If that means I get all the CO 14ers, that will be a great bonouse. For now, I am just enjoying getting out and seeing what I can do here in CO and starting to expand into other states.
"They say that time is a great teacher but unfortunately it kills all its pupils. The mountains are also great teachers, and better still, they let the occasional star pupil live." Mark Lawrence King of Thorns
CaptainSuburbia
14ers: 58  35 
13ers: 125 9
Trip Reports (44)

Post by CaptainSuburbia »

I mostly climb low 13ers, unranked 13ers, rarely climbed 13ers, 13ers that combo with 14ers and Little Bear. I'll go grab a 12er if it's convenient. I have zero desire to climb anything outside of Colorado.
Oh, and the winter 14ers.
Last edited by CaptainSuburbia on Wed Jul 21, 2021 3:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Some day our kids will study Clash lyrics in school.
Nothing drives people crazy like people drive people crazy.
Save Challenger Point
TomPierce
Trip Reports (2)

Post by TomPierce »

I don't care at all about altitude, I am drawn to difficulty. If it's a 5th class peak I'm very interested, bonus points if it's remote/obscure/has no listed prior ascents. Even if it's beyond my meager ability I'd probably still enjoy the recon of such a peak. Just me.

-Tom