Unexpected

Items that do not fit the categories above.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Gandalf69
14ers: 31 
13ers: 1
Trip Reports (8)

Re: Unexpected

Post by Gandalf69 »

Last summer I was on the summit of Capitol and heard sounds. 4 people were out climbing the north face that day and I saw 2 of them reach the summit. Very cool and very unexpected.
Attachments
20200802_120148.jpg
20200802_120148.jpg (124.2 KiB) Viewed 3226 times
The hardest way up
The hardest way up
20200802_120458.jpg (213.58 KiB) Viewed 3268 times
"There's always the possibility that some a**hole will be offended." -Clint Eastwood, Escape from Alcatraz
"Life is cruel, why should the afterlife be any different".-Davey Jones
"The decision to triage us to death...I understand. I don't know that I would agree with it. Certainly not in retrospect because obviously I made it."-Beck Weathers, Dark side of Everest
nickm
14ers: 33 
13ers: 285
Trip Reports (0)

Post by nickm »

Like most people who spend a lot of time in the mountains, I have seen so many things that have made me scratch my head that I could write a book! The most unexpected (and funny) encounter however just happened a month ago coming down from the summit of Dana Peak at the edge of Yosemite NP. My wife, 2 boys, and I were were approximately half way down from the summit. We had not seen anyone on the way up or on the summit, as we had an early start. On our decent, we passed 2 single hikers, and a pair. Still above tree line my wife stopped for a break, the boys and I walked on ahead. I looked down the trail and saw a single hiker with a lot of skin showing. I assumed he had a small pair of shorts on? After a second look, it was an old man, wait.. WTF!! No!!!!! Other than his hat, backpack, and shoes, he was naked and I just saw his Dingle bouncing! About the time of my sighting, he looked up and saw me. Quickly he stepped off of the trail, sat down, and put shorts on. Of course he stood to pull them up. So, myself and now my older son (12) got a nice shot of old man butt. I stopped to wait for my wife, about the time she caught up the old man had reached us. I was not sure what to expect from this 80 ish year old streaker?? He said he was surprised to see someone else on the trail! (Really, in a National Park!!) LOL!!! We proceeded to chat with him for a bit. He gave surprisingly good advice to my 2 boys. "Take this from an old Geezer: If you can hike up this peak you can do anything." Not what I was expecting to hear!
To his credit, he was moving quickly for his age. He was also very nice. I was only left with unanswered questions. Is this common in CA, as it was my first time there? What about the risk of sunburn or mosquito bites? Lol
Every day is a new adventure in the mountains!
mtn_hound
Trip Reports (0)

Post by mtn_hound »

nickm wrote: Thu Jul 22, 2021 2:05 pm Like most people who spend a lot of time in the mountains, I have seen so many things that have made me scratch my head that I could write a book! The most unexpected (and funny) encounter however just happened a month ago coming down from the summit of Dana Peak at the edge of Yosemite NP. My wife, 2 boys, and I were were approximately half way down from the summit. We had not seen anyone on the way up or on the summit, as we had an early start. On our decent, we passed 2 single hikers, and a pair. Still above tree line my wife stopped for a break, the boys and I walked on ahead. I looked down the trail and saw a single hiker with a lot of skin showing. I assumed he had a small pair of shorts on? After a second look, it was an old man, wait.. WTF!! No!!!!! Other than his hat, backpack, and shoes, he was naked and I just saw his Dingle bouncing! About the time of my sighting, he looked up and saw me. Quickly he stepped off of the trail, sat down, and put shorts on. Of course he stood to pull them up. So, myself and now my older son (12) got a nice shot of old man butt. I stopped to wait for my wife, about the time she caught up the old man had reached us. I was not sure what to expect from this 80 ish year old streaker?? He said he was surprised to see someone else on the trail! (Really, in a National Park!!) LOL!!! We proceeded to chat with him for a bit. He gave surprisingly good advice to my 2 boys. "Take this from an old Geezer: If you can hike up this peak you can do anything." Not what I was expecting to hear!
To his credit, he was moving quickly for his age. He was also very nice. I was only left with unanswered questions. Is this common in CA, as it was my first time there? What about the risk of sunburn or mosquito bites? Lol
Every day is a new adventure in the mountains!
There was a minor controversy when I lived in Berkeley years ago after the city downgraded public nudity from a misdemeanor to a violation. This was vehemently protested by all the nudists. It turns out that as long as it was a misdemeanor they had the right to demand a jury trial, and they were confident that no Berkeley jury was going to convict them of that offense. To contest a violation they had to go in front of a judge, who presumably would tell them to just pay the damn fine and stop wasting the court's time.
two lunches
14ers: 37  2 
13ers: 59
Trip Reports (0)

Post by two lunches »

nickm wrote: Thu Jul 22, 2021 2:05 pm Every day is a new adventure in the mountains!
i learned a few years back that Hike Naked Day is celebrated annually on the Summer Equinox.. 8-[ apparently there are no federal laws against nudity, which must be why this dude... celebrated (?) in a National Park.
“To walk in nature is to witness a thousand miracles.” – Mary Davis
nickm
14ers: 33 
13ers: 285
Trip Reports (0)

Post by nickm »

Who knew? Thanks!
Alan Arnette
14ers: 58 
13ers: 26
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Alan Arnette »

I'll play! Taken September 11, 2010, on Bierstadt. Yes, I had a beer with them!
Attachments
IMG_1218.jpeg
IMG_1218.jpeg (357.92 KiB) Viewed 2790 times
Alan Arnette
13ers: 26
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Alan Arnette »

Not "on" a 14er but pretty close. One of two F-16s over Elbert on July 11, 2018.
Attachments
IMG_1492.JPG
IMG_1492.JPG (114.32 KiB) Viewed 2777 times
719BR
13ers: 8
Trip Reports (0)

Post by 719BR »

we saw a goat herder, with goats, including one on a rope leash, all thew way up on lavender col on sneffels a couple years back. was definitely a bit outside the norm.
TheRealRooster
14ers: 6  2 
13ers: 3 1
Trip Reports (0)

Post by TheRealRooster »

Not that the summit of Evans is a remote peak where you're unlikely to find civilization, but it was still odd to come up the ridge from the North Face and run into a film crew at the summit. They were shooting a Patagonia (no, the other one) Beer commercial. We drank a beer or two with them and then actually shot some cheesy footage of my partner and I coming up to the summit, meeting their (much better looking) paid climber, and cracking some cold ones. Think of the Coors Light or Mich Ultra commercials where you and your best bros are doing super awesome extreme stuff then drinking beer. Signed waivers/releases to our likenesses and everything. Bid adieu, skied some perfect corn, and never heard from them again.

I also once saw, from a decent distance, a group of maybe ten people or so hiking with real torches in Yosemite at like 3am. You know, the flaming kind. To this day I'm not sure what they were doing out there, but there was a full lunar eclipse that night, so we assumed they were doing some weird stuff. We decided to hike without headlamps for the next hour or so, just in case they'd seen us as well. I'd just gotten a new pack and didn't feel like being a human sacrifice before I got to actually use it.
HikerGuy
13ers: 426 8
Trip Reports (9)

Post by HikerGuy »

TheRealRooster wrote: Thu Jul 22, 2021 7:16 pm Not that the summit of Evans is a remote peak where you're unlikely to find civilization, but it was still odd to come up the ridge from the North Face and run into a film crew at the summit. They were shooting a Patagonia (no, the other one) Beer commercial. We drank a beer or two with them and then actually shot some cheesy footage of my partner and I coming up to the summit, meeting their (much better looking) paid climber, and cracking some cold ones. Think of the Coors Light or Mich Ultra commercials where you and your best bros are doing super awesome extreme stuff then drinking beer. Signed waivers/releases to our likenesses and everything. Bid adieu, skied some perfect corn, and never heard from them again.
Did you make the cut? 45 seconds in? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eba1RipmEkI
TheRealRooster
14ers: 6  2 
13ers: 3 1
Trip Reports (0)

Post by TheRealRooster »

HikerGuy wrote: Thu Jul 22, 2021 7:33 pm
TheRealRooster wrote: Thu Jul 22, 2021 7:16 pm Not that the summit of Evans is a remote peak where you're unlikely to find civilization, but it was still odd to come up the ridge from the North Face and run into a film crew at the summit. They were shooting a Patagonia (no, the other one) Beer commercial. We drank a beer or two with them and then actually shot some cheesy footage of my partner and I coming up to the summit, meeting their (much better looking) paid climber, and cracking some cold ones. Think of the Coors Light or Mich Ultra commercials where you and your best bros are doing super awesome extreme stuff then drinking beer. Signed waivers/releases to our likenesses and everything. Bid adieu, skied some perfect corn, and never heard from them again.
Did you make the cut? 45 seconds in? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eba1RipmEkI
YES! That's us! My partner is the one with the red backpack, and I'm facing the camera for the cheers! Amazing - thanks for finding and sharing!
seeking timberline
14ers: 23 
Trip Reports (4)

Post by seeking timberline »

Bike related... A few years ago I was riding the Monarch Crest trail solo and as I was climbing the high alpine section near the beginning I noticed two people in the distance on the trail ahead of me. Nothing unusual, plenty of people ride the Crest but as I approached them I noticed they looked strangely tall and ungainly on their bikes. It wasn't until I got closer that I realized their "bikes" had no handlebars. They were riding unicycles. I caught them just before the trail begins its initial descent and stopped to talk. They were on 29" wheel unicycles with regular mountain bike tires. I told them I was impressed that they were able to climb the steep, rocky trail but I was more curious how they planned to descend on what are essentially fixed-gear single speeds with no suspension and no steering. One of them replied, "You have to be really careful." Indeed. I wished them luck and continued on my way.