Unexpected

Items that do not fit the categories above.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Wish I lived in CO
14ers: 58 
Trip Reports (11)

Re: Unexpected

Post by Wish I lived in CO »

Whetterhorn 2017.

Definately not expected.
Attachments
DSC08639.JPG
DSC08639.JPG (140.81 KiB) Viewed 3410 times
I look up to the mountains - does my help come from there? My help comes from the Lord, who made heaven and earth! Psalm 121:1-2
Scott P
14ers: 58  16 
13ers: 50 13
Trip Reports (16)

Post by Scott P »

Backpacking into a trail-less and remote area after not seeing any signs of humans for several days:
Stone.jpg
Stone.jpg (137.82 KiB) Viewed 3257 times
I'm old, slow and fat. Unfortunately, those are my good qualities.
Scott P
14ers: 58  16 
13ers: 50 13
Trip Reports (16)

Post by Scott P »

Found this hiking in the hills south of Grand Junction:
bones.jpg
bones.jpg (188.8 KiB) Viewed 3249 times
I'm old, slow and fat. Unfortunately, those are my good qualities.
Tony the Iguana
14ers: 1 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Tony the Iguana »

shelly+ wrote: Sun Jul 18, 2021 4:24 pm well, there was that unexpected iguana on Elbert the other day.
Well I guess it was unexpected in the sense that I didn't share my trip itinerary with everyone, but I did purposely plan on going up Elbert that day. Still can't get down, but that's a story for another time. You know what is super unexpected though? Seeing humans swat away flies or wear insect repellant. It's ridiculous! So many tasty snacks you're just shooing away! What a waste.
434stonemill
14ers: 33 
13ers: 4
Trip Reports (2)

Post by 434stonemill »

Came across this guy as I was hiking in Switzerland. I'm pretty sure that isn't an iguana he's carrying.

Schilthorn 2.JPG
Schilthorn 2.JPG (257 KiB) Viewed 2708 times
Schilthorn 1.JPG
Schilthorn 1.JPG (284.48 KiB) Viewed 2708 times
EatinHardtack
14ers: 42  20  3 
13ers: 79 32 2
Trip Reports (8)

Post by EatinHardtack »

Found these two around 12,800 on the east slopes of Mt Helen once. Called Summit County animal control and said stay with them. Got another phone call from the owner who asked us to lead them down the east slopes, older gentleman that lost them from his camp somewhere nearby. We had gone up to climb the connecting ridge with Father Dyer, obviously bailed on that.
Attachments
BA70A7CF-EFD7-462A-8523-87B0269F5FEA.jpeg
BA70A7CF-EFD7-462A-8523-87B0269F5FEA.jpeg (187.01 KiB) Viewed 2642 times
CBB074FB-C0BC-4FA6-8861-FD6A6FCF0853.jpeg
CBB074FB-C0BC-4FA6-8861-FD6A6FCF0853.jpeg (169.97 KiB) Viewed 2642 times
"In our youths our hearts were touched with fire" - Oliver Wendell Holmes
Dan_Suitor
14ers: 58  4 
13ers: 90
Trip Reports (3)

Post by Dan_Suitor »

No photos, but:
1. The "Pissing Rock" near Twin Lakes in Chicago Basin. Water coming straight out of a tiny hole on the side of a boulder.
[/quote]

You mean this "Pissing Rock"?

Attachments
PeeMtn 3.mp4
Pissing Rock
(1.89 MiB) Downloaded 146 times
Century Bound, eventually.
painless4u2
Trip Reports (8)

Post by painless4u2 »

Dan_Suitor wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 8:45 am No photos, but:
1. The "Pissing Rock" near Twin Lakes in Chicago Basin. Water coming straight out of a tiny hole on the side of a boulder.
You mean this "Pissing Rock"?
[/quote]

That's the one!
Bad decisions often make good stories.

IPAs + Ambien = "14ers" post (Bill M.)

In their hearts humans plan their course, but the Lord establishes their steps. Proverbs 16:9
druid2112
14ers: 46  6 
13ers: 32 5
Trip Reports (7)

Post by druid2112 »

In the summer of 2017 I may have witnessed a marmot murder....

After leaving the Daly saddle on my way back down from Capitol, I finally took my helmet off and was happy to have only the easy part back down to Capitol lake left. I took only a few steps before a softball sized rock landed right next to the trail, slightly in front of me. After a few curses, I looked down to see a marmot right there on the ground near the rock, bleeding and with its head caved in. I thought, "no way, there's no way....!" Then I thought to look up. Looking down from above, I saw a single marmot looking over a ledge. He saw me, stared at me for a moment, and then slowly backed away until out of sight. True story.

I have been afraid of marmots ever since, specifically because I'm afraid someday one is going to come and find me, intending to eliminate the last living witness...
"You can't really dust for vomit." - Nigel Tufnel
greenonion
14ers: 50  1 
13ers: 2
Trip Reports (0)

Post by greenonion »

druid2112 wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 1:10 pm In the summer of 2017 I may have witnessed a marmot murder....

After leaving the Daly saddle on my way back down from Capitol, I finally took my helmet off and was happy to have only the easy part back down to Capitol lake left. I took only a few steps before a softball sized rock landed right next to the trail, slightly in front of me. After a few curses, I looked down to see a marmot right there on the ground near the rock, bleeding and with its head caved in. I thought, "no way, there's no way....!" Then I thought to look up. Looking down from above, I saw a single marmot looking over a ledge. He saw me, stared at me for a moment, and then slowly backed away until out of sight. True story.

I have been afraid of marmots ever since, specifically because I'm afraid someday one is going to come and find me, intending to eliminate the last living witness...
Your days are numbered by that marmot. Cool story (in an odd sorta way).
DeTour
14ers: 43 
13ers: 6
Trip Reports (30)

Post by DeTour »

Coming across a llama (or was it an alpaca?) hanging out solo near the Willow Creek trailhead was somewhat unexpected. What was more unexpected was encountering a waitress later that day who knew the critter - by name. "Oh that's Jimi Hendrix" she said when someone mentioned it at dinner. Turns out he belonged to a well-known local character. Or at least hung out with him, not sure of the exact nature of the relationship.

------------------------------------------------------------------
Once torched by truth, a little thing like faith is easy.
Swede Landing, 'Peace Like a River'
The land is forever.
- Steve Almburg, Illinois centennial farmer
nyker
13ers: 25
Trip Reports (69)

Post by nyker »

Lol. I ran into a few of those around Chicago basin approach from purgatory