Your Hiking Profile

Items that do not fit the categories above.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Ed_Groves
14ers: 25 
13ers: 11
Trip Reports (4)

Your Hiking Profile

Post by Ed_Groves »

As a flatlander from Missouri I often find myself not posting and deferring to others with more knowledge and experience in the forum. I have become familiar with many of the routes by studying them on this site, but that doesn't compare with experiencing the mountains and living it throughout the year. I assume other flatlanders, beginning to intermediate hikers, and residents from other states may have experienced this as well, so I thought I would start a thread where those of us somewhat removed from Colorado could participate along with the state's residents. So . . . . how would you describe yourself as a hiker/climber? The items listed below are just a guide to get things started, but feel free to post anything you think is fitting.

1. How far do you want to take your mountain climbing/hiking? (i.e. casual hiker with aspirations for just a few 14ers/13ers, a hiker who wants to complete all the 14ers, rock climbing, trad mountaineer, etc.)
2. Hiking plans for 2021.
3. Plans for beyond 2021 such as completion plans for 14ers, Centennials, or other mountains and mountain classifications.
4. Anything else you would like to add including how you began.

I will start.

1. I am 60 years old and just started on the 14ers last summer. I have been hiking and climbing other mountains for the last decade. I hope to complete all of the 14ers and as many 13ers as I can, as well as continuing to hike in other regions of the contiguous United States and Canada. I have no plans to start trad climbing at my age, but I have read and studied The Freedom of the Hills to gain a tiny modicum of familiarity with this type of climbing and rock climbing so I could at least understand discussions about it.

2. My plans for 2021 are limited due to family events but I hope to schedule one more trip in October if the weather cooperates. These are my current plans:
- July 15 - 27: Mt Rainier National Park (Plummer Pk, Pinnacle Pk, Tolmie Pk, Skyscraper Pk, Fay Pk and Knapsack trail, Burroughs Mtn Trail, and other trails)
- August 23 - 28: Mt Massive southwest route, Mt Harvard w/ Columbia Traverse, Mt Elbert northeast ridge, Mt Princeton east slopes
- September 2021 (Bringing a newbie): Peak 8 acclimation hike, Peak 10, Mt Sherman southwest ridge, additional easy 14ers), either the Fletcher - Drift Traverse or Wheeler Mtn solo for my first class 3 in Colorado.
- Early October (maybe?): Wetterhorn Peak southeast ridge, Uncompahgre Peak south ridge, Redcloud and Sunshine Peaks northeast ridge, Handies Peak southwest slopes

3. I have worked out a tentative plan with mountains grouped so that I can complete the 14ers by 2026 to 2028. The reason for the two year window is to account for weather issues, forest fires, unexpected obstacles, and trails that are better if hiked in winter. I also want to hike as many 13ers as I can. There are areas other than Colorado where I have hiked as well: The White Mountains of New Hampshire, the Appalachians in Tennessee, North Carolina, and Shenandoah National Park, the state of Washington, Glacier National Park, and the Canadian Rockies. I hope to return to some of these areas and, if time permits, there are the mountains of California, Wyoming, Idaho, Utah, and northern New Mexico. Additionally, my wife and I are looking at doing a self-guided Tour Du Mont Blanc in the next couple of years.

4. I have always been into nature in one way or another so I just kind of fell into this. So many mountains, so little time.
Last edited by Ed_Groves on Wed Jun 23, 2021 2:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Education is the process of moving from cocksure ignorance to thoughtful uncertainty." (Utvich)
sigepnader
14ers: 22 
13ers: 52 1
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Your Hiking Profile

Post by sigepnader »

1. The goal is 600 summits overall regardless of class. I’m at 377 now.

2. Hiking plans for 2021.- just finished Katahdin and the NH48 in the northeast. I’ve got plans for peaks in Colorado, Arizona, Utah, Montana, Idaho, and Tennessee.

3. Finish the 14ers, the AT, Mount Baker, Whitney, Cali 14ers, and all major state high points.
Ed_Groves
Trip Reports (4)

Post by Ed_Groves »

sigepnader wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 10:10 am 1. The goal is 600 summits overall regardless of class. I’m at 377 now.

2. Hiking plans for 2021.- just finished Katahdin and the NH48 in the northeast. I’ve got plans for peaks in Colorado, Arizona, Utah, Montana, Idaho, and Tennessee.

3. Finish the 14ers, the AT, Mount Baker, Whitney, Cali 14ers, and all major state high points.
Thanks for the reminder about Katahdin. I really want to do that before I am too old. Maybe you can shed some light on how difficult it is to schedule getting into Baxter State Park as I have read the numbers are quite limited.
"Education is the process of moving from cocksure ignorance to thoughtful uncertainty." (Utvich)
davebobk47
14ers: 58  3 
13ers: 130 1 4
Trip Reports (0)

Post by davebobk47 »

Ed_Groves wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 5:56 pm As a flatlander from Missouri I often find myself not posting and deferring to others with more knowledge and experience in the forum. I have become familiar with many of the routes by studying them on this site, but that doesn't compare with experiencing the mountains and living it throughout the year. I assume other flatlanders, beginning to intermediate hikers, and residents from other states may have experienced this as well, so I thought I would start a thread where those of us somewhat removed from Colorado could participate along with the state's residents. So . . . . how would you describer yourself as a hiker/climber? The items listed below are just a guide to get things started, but feel free to post anything you think is fitting.

1. How far do you want to take your mountain climbing/hiking? (i.e. casual hiker with aspirations for just a few 14ers/13ers, a hiker who wants to complete all the 14ers, rock climbing, trad mountaineer, etc.)
3. Plans for beyond 2021 such as completion plans for 14ers, Centennials, or other mountains and mountain classifications.

I will start.

1. I am 60 years old and just started on the 14ers last summer. I have been hiking and climbing other mountains for the last decade. I hope to complete all of the 14ers and as many 13ers as I can, as well as continuing to hike in other regions of the contiguous United States and Canada. I have no plans to start trad climbing at my age, but I have read and studied The Freedom of the Hills to gain a tiny modicum of familiarity with this type of climbing and rock climbing so I could at least understand discussions about it.

2. My plans for 2021 are limited due to family events but I hope to schedule one more trip in October if the weather cooperates. These are my current plans:
- July 15 - 27: Mt Rainier National Park (Plummer Pk, Pinnacle Pk, Tolmie Pk, Skyscraper Pk, Fay Pk and Knapsack trail, Burroughs Mtn Trail, and other trails)
- August 23 - 28: Mt Massive southwest route, Mt Harvard w/ Columbia Traverse, Mt Elbert northeast ridge, Mt Princeton east slopes
- September 2021 (Bringing a newbie): Peak 8 acclimation hike, Peak 10, Mt Sherman southwest ridge, additional easy 14ers), either the Fletcher - Drift Traverse or Wheeler Mtn solo for my first class 3 in Colorado.
- Early October (maybe?): Wetterhorn Peak southeast ridge, Uncompahgre Peak south ridge, Redcloud and Sunshine Peaks northeast ridge, Handies Peak southwest slopes

3. I have worked out a tentative plan with mountains grouped so that I can complete the 14ers by 2026 to 2028. The reason for the two year window is to account for weather issues, forest fires, unexpected obstacles, and trails that are better if hiked in winter. I also want to hike as many 13ers as I can. There are areas other than Colorado where I have hiked as well: The White Mountains of New Hampshire, the Appalachians in Tennessee, North Carolina, and Shenandoah National Park, the state of Washington, Glacier National Park, and the Canadian Rockies. I hope to return to some of these areas and, if time permits, there are the mountains of California, Wyoming, Idaho, Utah, and northern New Mexico. Additionally, my wife and I are looking at doing a self-guided Tour Du Mont Blanc in the next couple of years.

4. I have always been into nature in one way or another so I just kind of fell into this. So many mountains, so little time.
Just a heads up on Wheeler - there is a fair amount of route finding and lots of loose rock. The climbing itself was not terribly hard but there is no clear route and even finding the summit was not straight forward. Something like the Sawtooth on Bierstadt/Evans, Wetterhorn, or even Kelso Ridge would probably be a better intro to Class 3.
"Mountains are not stadiums where I satisfy my ambition to achieve. They are the cathedrals where I practice my religion." -Anatoli Boukreev
sigepnader
14ers: 22 
13ers: 52 1
Trip Reports (0)

Post by sigepnader »

[/quote]

Thanks for the reminder about Katahdin. I really want to do that before I am too old. Maybe you can shed some light on how difficult it is to schedule getting into Baxter State Park as I have read the numbers are quite limited.
[/quote]

Katahdin is so amazing. I went up Abol to Hunt to summit Baxter and then over the knife edge to Pamola and back. Long but rewarding day!

It’s difficult but not terrible. I booked my days out two months in advance. I camped at Abol campground. In order to hopefully have a great weather window I booked a site for three days. Kept looking at the weather and ended up going last Tuesday and went up last Wednesday.

Highly recommend a weekday compared to a weekend.

Feel free to message me and I can show you pics or answer other questions. I also highly recommend the NH48!
Last edited by sigepnader on Wed Jun 23, 2021 1:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ed_Groves
Trip Reports (4)

Post by Ed_Groves »

davebobk47 wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 10:46 am Just a heads up on Wheeler - there is a fair amount of route finding and lots of loose rock. The climbing itself was not terribly hard but there is no clear route and even finding the summit was not straight forward. Something like the Sawtooth on Bierstadt/Evans, Wetterhorn, or even Kelso Ridge would probably be a better intro to Class 3.
Thanks for the heads up! I had heard that the rock on Wheeler was somewhat like the rock on the west ridge of Quandary so I was leaning toward the Fletcher-Drift traverse. Wetterhorn and the Sawtooth were on my list first, but I'm kind of stuck with a partial day to do the class 3 because of time constraints and where I am staying. Drift has somewhat of a risk for falling rock so there is that, though it isn't a long hike. This will be my first class 3 at these elevations but it won't be my first class 3.
Scott P
14ers: 58  16 
13ers: 50 13
Trip Reports (16)

Post by Scott P »

I'm starting to scale things back. I have a few health issues, but hopefully will continue to work on being in shape and will get in better shape. I've adjusted my list to easier targets than were on there previously. For example, I removed several 8000 and 7000 meter peaks from my wish list and replaced them with smaller targets. I'm starting to enjoy the easier stuff more anyway.
I have my generic goals of climbing, hiking, or canyoneering on at least 330 days this year (bumped up from 250; 330 is reasonable); climbing at least 150 summits, at least 10 rock towers, at least 30 technical rock or ice routes, and at least 25 technical canyons.

Here's my specific wish list for 2021:

https://www.summitpost.org/2021-wish-list/1056756

I won't get all of them though. Some are already shelved for another time in the future. For example, I didn't get some river permits hoped for, some trips were cancelled due to work or health reasons, several peaks are now closed (during my proposed climbing period) due to forest fires. For example, basically everything in the La Sal Mountains, Coconino National Forest, and Kaibab Forest is now closed due to fires and/or fire danger and will not be opened back up anytime soon.
Here's my current wish list:

https://www.summitpost.org/scott-s-wish-list/335481
I have been doing it for a long time. It was a good way to vacation cheaply I guess. Plus my dad used to say "it's easier to hitchhike with a little kid with you", so he took me on trips for that reason.

I started soloing mountains maybe around age 9 or 10(?) and started doing overnight trips (without parents) with my younger brothers when I was 11 or so and they were 4 and 9 years old. I'm not sure what the legal consequences of parents letting their kids do that now days, but we did it (many times).

Since I grew up in the Salt Lake City area, there were a lot of mountains available to climb that could be accessed using the city bus system. I got my first job at age 11 and we (my younber brothers and I) could ride the bus to the Salt Palace and gather the change out of the fountains (the place actually didn't mind because the change would clog their drains). We could gather enough change from the fountains for bus fares and enough food to eat for our camping trips.

I started soloing a lot of mountains including on overnight trips by age 14 or 15, but used to get a little lonely at night at that age. By age 16 I was a backpacking guide for the BSA. I worked in the Uinta Mountains and used to backpack with the troops on weekdays and either solo or recruit a fellow employee to climb peaks with me on the weekends. Some weekeneds I or we would do 44 mile trips over the mountains while climbing peaks; it's nice to be young.

I started soloing peaks on overseas trips by age 18. I joined the military on my 17th birthday and that was the first time I saved enough money for overseas trips. I guess things just took off from there.
I'm old, slow and fat. Unfortunately, those are my good qualities.
Barnold41
14ers: 15 
13ers: 12
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Barnold41 »

Scott P wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 12:17 pm I started soloing mountains maybe around age 9 or 10(?) and started doing overnight trips (without parents) with my younger brothers when I was 11 or so and they were 4 and 9 years old. I'm not sure what the legal consequences of parents letting their kids do that now days, but we did it (many times).

Since I grew up in the Salt Lake City area, there were a lot of mountains available to climb that could be accessed using the city bus system. I got my first job at age 11 and we (my younber brothers and I) could ride the bus to the Salt Palace and gather the change out of the fountains (the place actually didn't mind because the change would clog their drains). We could gather enough change from the fountains for bus fares and enough food to eat for our camping trips.

I started soloing a lot of mountains including on overnight trips by age 14 or 15, but used to get a little lonely at night at that age. By age 16 I was a backpacking guide for the BSA. I worked in the Uinta Mountains and used to backpack with the troops on weekdays and either solo or recruit a fellow employee to climb peaks with me on the weekends. Some weekeneds I or we would do 44 mile trips over the mountains while climbing peaks; it's nice to be young.

I started soloing peaks on overseas trips by age 18. I joined the military on my 17th birthday and that was the first time I saved enough money for overseas trips. I guess things just took off from there.
This is an amazing story, thanks so much for sharing! As a parent, I was just thinking about my 4 year old trying to do anything longer than a mile :lol:
glenmiz
14ers: 58 
13ers: 121 1 3
Trip Reports (4)

Post by glenmiz »

Ed_Groves wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 5:56 pm
1) I'd like to follow in Gerry Roach's footsteps and keep climbing mountains until I'm 80 (58 now). I enjoyed finishing the 14ers but really am not focused on the next traditional lists.

2) Three Jeffco peaks remain to complete all of the Class 4 and below ranked peaks in my home county. Also, I'm working on my prominence index (see Peakbagger.com for a definition) this year and trying to push it to 180 (currently 165). Last, I'd like to finish the daily grid for my "home" Berrian Mtn. As of today, I've tagged the summit 312 times and have 102 "open" days on the 366 grid. I will volunteer with CFI as a Peak Steward and probably get a half dozen repeat 14er summits in the process.

3) 366 grid completed on Berrian Mtn (I'd guess 2023), Centennials...?, Prominence Index 200...? More bushwhacking!

4) I started slow and took 28 years from my first 14er attempt until I finished and overcame my extreme fear of heights in the process. I started bushwhacking in 2018 after I retired.
Aim high to end high
davebobk47
14ers: 58  3 
13ers: 130 1 4
Trip Reports (0)

Post by davebobk47 »

Ed_Groves wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 11:49 am
davebobk47 wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 10:46 am Just a heads up on Wheeler - there is a fair amount of route finding and lots of loose rock. The climbing itself was not terribly hard but there is no clear route and even finding the summit was not straight forward. Something like the Sawtooth on Bierstadt/Evans, Wetterhorn, or even Kelso Ridge would probably be a better intro to Class 3.
Thanks for the heads up! I had heard that the rock on Wheeler was somewhat like the rock on the west ridge of Quandary so I was leaning toward the Fletcher-Drift traverse. Wetterhorn and the Sawtooth were on my list first, but I'm kind of stuck with a partial day to do the class 3 because of time constraints and where I am staying. Drift has somewhat of a risk for falling rock so there is that, though it isn't a long hike. This will be my first class 3 at these elevations but it won't be my first class 3.
Drive may be a bit longer coming from Summit but for me Kelso was a much quicker trip than Wheeler. The road going to Wheeler has the hardest 4WD obstacle I've seen in CO - and its right near the start.
"Mountains are not stadiums where I satisfy my ambition to achieve. They are the cathedrals where I practice my religion." -Anatoli Boukreev
Ed_Groves
Trip Reports (4)

Post by Ed_Groves »

Scott P wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 12:17 pm
I'm starting to scale things back. I have a few health issues, but hopefully will continue to work on being in shape and will get in better shape. I've adjusted my list to easier targets than were on there previously. For example, I removed several 8000 and 7000 meter peaks from my wish list and replaced them with smaller targets. I'm starting to enjoy the easier stuff more anyway.
I have my generic goals of climbing, hiking, or canyoneering on at least 330 days this year (bumped up from 250; 330 is reasonable); climbing at least 150 summits, at least 10 rock towers, at least 30 technical rock or ice routes, and at least 25 technical canyons.

Here's my specific wish list for 2021:

https://www.summitpost.org/2021-wish-list/1056756

I won't get all of them though. Some are already shelved for another time in the future. For example, I didn't get some river permits hoped for, some trips were cancelled due to work or health reasons, several peaks are now closed (during my proposed climbing period) due to forest fires. For example, basically everything in the La Sal Mountains, Coconino National Forest, and Kaibab Forest is now closed due to fires and/or fire danger and will not be opened back up anytime soon.
Here's my current wish list:

https://www.summitpost.org/scott-s-wish-list/335481
I have been doing it for a long time. It was a good way to vacation cheaply I guess. Plus my dad used to say "it's easier to hitchhike with a little kid with you", so he took me on trips for that reason.

I started soloing mountains maybe around age 9 or 10(?) and started doing overnight trips (without parents) with my younger brothers when I was 11 or so and they were 4 and 9 years old. I'm not sure what the legal consequences of parents letting their kids do that now days, but we did it (many times).

Impressive and amazing. To spend 330 days a year in mountains, canyons, and rock sounds awesome. I doubt my joints could handle one fourth of that, plus the technical climbing that you do.
Ed_Groves
Trip Reports (4)

Post by Ed_Groves »

davebobk47 wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 1:00 pm
Ed_Groves wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 11:49 am
Drive may be a bit longer coming from Summit but for me Kelso was a much quicker trip than Wheeler. The road going to Wheeler has the hardest 4WD obstacle I've seen in CO - and its right near the start.
I seem to recall something about a bad obstacle on the drive from a trip report. I have read some reports about the route finding on Wheeler. Is the light-colored Y not as easy to locate as the route pics indicate?