Your Hiking Profile

Items that do not fit the categories above.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
davebobk47
14ers: 58  3 
13ers: 130 1 4
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Your Hiking Profile

Post by davebobk47 »

Ed_Groves wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 2:08 pm
davebobk47 wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 1:00 pm
Ed_Groves wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 11:49 am

Thanks for the heads up! I had heard that the rock on Wheeler was somewhat like the rock on the west ridge of Quandary so I was leaning toward the Fletcher-Drift traverse. Wetterhorn and the Sawtooth were on my list first, but I'm kind of stuck with a partial day to do the class 3 because of time constraints and where I am staying. Drift has somewhat of a risk for falling rock so there is that, though it isn't a long hike. This will be my first class 3 at these elevations but it won't be my first class 3.
Drive may be a bit longer coming from Summit but for me Kelso was a much quicker trip than Wheeler. The road going to Wheeler has the hardest 4WD obstacle I've seen in CO - and its right near the start.
I seem to recall something about a bad obstacle on the drive from a trip report. I have read some reports about the route finding on Wheeler. Is the light-colored Y not as easy to locate as the route pics indicate?
No, its not. I climbed the wrong summit that was just past the true summit and came back and tagged the true summit - they were not far apart. The biggest issue is after leaving the saddle above the lake it is a series of loose gullies and rock ribs. There is no established route so you'll just have to go with what seems best - its very doable but certainly not what I would consider as an introductory peak.
"Mountains are not stadiums where I satisfy my ambition to achieve. They are the cathedrals where I practice my religion." -Anatoli Boukreev
EigenDylan
14ers: 16  4 
13ers: 24
Trip Reports (0)

Post by EigenDylan »

1. How far do you want to take your mountain climbing/hiking? (i.e. casual hiker with aspirations for just a few 14ers/13ers, a hiker who wants to complete all the 14ers, rock climbing, trad mountaineer, etc.)

I grew up in kansas and moved to golden for college, which I'm nearly finished with. I did a bit of hiking the past few years, mostly stuff in golden and a few 14ers and 13ers. Last summer I did longs, and after that i was totally hooked on summits. Earlier this year I started trying to do at least a few peaks each week, and that has been really fun. I've found so many cool places and had so many great experiences doing random peaks in the foothills. I want to finish all the ranked Jefferson County peaks (35/98 so far) and the 14ers, but mostly just hike up lots of different mountains. I'd like to become a decent rock climber, as lots of the coolest mountains seem to require that. Looking at LoJ profiles or reading trip reports from people that have done hundreds or thousands of peaks is mind boggling and inspiring. They all started somewhere right?

2. Hiking plans for 2021.

I want to get to 100k ft of elevation gain in 2021, and I'm on track to do about 80 peaks (might try to get to 100). Now that it's summer I'll probably focus on 13ers and 14ers, and later in the year I'll shift back to jeffco stuff, maybe try to finish all the peaks within 15 miles of my house too. At some point in going to drive down to SE CO and do the 7 ranked 4ers so I can be a 4er finisher ;)

3. Plans for beyond 2021 such as completion plans for 14ers, Centennials, or other mountains and mountain classifications.

I think I should be able to finish the non-technical jefferson county peaks by the end of spring 2022. Hopefully in a few years I'll get good enough at climbing to do the handful of class 5 peaks in jeffco. I'm not really in a rush to complete the 14ers or cents because I don't want to spend a fortune on gas, and I don't have the balls, fitness, or time to bike to all of them. Some other long term wishlist peaks that I don't have the skills to do at the moment: gannet, Rainier, chair rocks (Jefferson County), wham ridge on vestal.
-wren-
14ers: 51  3 
13ers: 109 6
Trip Reports (0)

Post by -wren- »

1. How far do you want to take your mountain climbing/hiking?
After 8 consecutive years of tradition of my family climbing an easy 14er every summer, we did Huron in July ‘20 - I was a 16 year old recently expelled from highschool trying to get sober and find meaning in life outside of drugs and there it was, the endless expanse of peaks in the Sawatch calling to me, and like that I was completely infatuated with mountains. I don’t know how it didn’t hit me before. I set a goal for the next 14 months to climb 100 peaks before I turned 18 (122 and counting) and discovered LoJ and the climbing community, and soon after realized that at a reasonable but stiff pace I could climb the 14ers before I turn 20 and the 13ers before I turn 30.

2. Plans for 2021
More than anything I know I need more experience and to tune my judgement skills etc - other than getting to 29/58 on the fourteeners and possibly 10% on the 13ers by 2022 I want to meet and climb with more seasoned climbers, get my avy 1, learn belay skills/commands, and continue to remind myself that my unbridled enthusiasm is matched with a not fully developed brain and therefore not necessarily the best decision making skills. Gotta stay alive to stay climbing.

3. Plans for beyond 2021
I want to run an ultramarathon one day and am a long way away still but will get there eventually. Also a sub 12 hour pikes peak marathon and to be able to climb 5.10 trad. Most importantly, to get a degree in recreation/outdoor education and make a career out of what I love.

4. Anything else
I love the low peaks and exploring my home areas and I couldn’t do that to the extent that I have without listsofjohn.com. If you’ve ever found yourself enjoying summits below 13,000 feet the site is 100% worth checking out, as are the stories of its founder and his wife, John and Alyson Kirk, two of the most inspiring people I’ve ever read about.
ltlFish99
14ers: 49  3  2 
13ers: 51
Trip Reports (0)

Post by ltlFish99 »

I was born, and grew up in Denver. I often mention that because of my easy access to the mountains I believe I committed some kind of crime by not skiing until I was 17.
I am now 61.
At least when I did start it was even more exciting than i imagined it to be.
It has remained one of my passions throughout my life.
Quick comment on my delayed entry into the outdoor experience.
I am an alcoholic. I started drinking at 17.
I realized it was becoming a problem in my early 20ies.
After an alcohol related driving offense that really bothered me, I decided to quit at 26.
I followed the recommendations of AA for the entire 1st year.
Was going crazy bored.
Could Not get friends to go to the mountains with me.
So I finally did the best thing I could have for myself by joining the CMC.
I immediately started to have so much fun in the mountains, as they lead 3,000 trips a year.
Hiked my 1st 14er 2 months later which was Torreys.
Hiked Capitol the following month.
This proved to be so exciting that I knew I was hooked, completely.
Met people that led to mountain adventures on Rainier, in Ecuador, and Bolivia.
I had a great time for a long time.
Then I thought drinking again might be ok, since Everything was going so well.
BAD idea.
Wasted 17 years on this very poorly thought out self indulgent tangent.
Screwed up several good friendships and a wonderful relationship in the process.
Finally decided to get back on the right path in July 2015.
Reignited my passion for the outdoors immediately after.
I only hiked 4 14ers last summer, almost a 5th, but was turned back high by some wicked winds.
This summer my goal is 12 14ers, this will leave me 6 for next year.
Beyond the Colorado mountains, I really would like to return to south America for several mountains I think will be a lot of fun. I wanted to go last year, then covid interrupted a lot of plans.
I still plan on this.
Locally, I think some of the 13ers would be a lot of fun.
I used to to rock climb when I was younger. I still have all of the gear, and enjoy moderate ice climbing once in a while.
My thoughts of summiting a high mountain have been replaced by wanting to continue to enjoy the outdoors as long as physically possible.
I do still want to get above 20,000 feet. At least once.
Fortunately, the mountains still have a profoundly wonderful affect on me.
Timberline is just a delightful place to pass through on the way to a high mountain sream, or lake, then a summit.
It is so refreshing that I am still so thrilled with the outdoors.

I believe we are indeed the fortunate ones living here in Colorado.
I am reminded of this often on one of my favoritelocal hikes to a beautiful lake, when it is very common for other people to comment that it is thier 1st time on that trail since they so far away.
Ed_Groves
14ers: 25 
13ers: 11
Trip Reports (4)

Post by Ed_Groves »

glenmiz wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 12:56 pm 1) I'd like to follow in Gerry Roach's footsteps and keep climbing mountains until I'm 80 (58 now). I enjoyed finishing the 14ers but really am not focused on the next traditional lists.
Like you, I hope I can continue to 80 or longer, especially since I haven't been peakbagging for very long.
EigenDylan wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 10:46 pm 2. Hiking plans for 2021.

I want to get to 100k ft of elevation gain in 2021, and I'm on track to do about 80 peaks (might try to get to 100). Now that it's summer I'll probably focus on 13ers and 14ers, and later in the year I'll shift back to jeffco stuff, maybe try to finish all the peaks within 15 miles of my house too. At some point in going to drive down to SE CO and do the 7 ranked 4ers so I can be a 4er finisher ;)
Eighty to 100 peaks with 100k of elevation gain sound like awesome goals to me. Good luck on your endeavors.
-wren- wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 11:47 am 1. How far do you want to take your mountain climbing/hiking?
After 8 consecutive years of tradition of my family climbing an easy 14er every summer, we did Huron in July ‘20 - I was a 16 year old recently expelled from highschool trying to get sober and find meaning in life outside of drugs and there it was, the endless expanse of peaks in the Sawatch calling to me, and like that I was completely infatuated with mountains. I don’t know how it didn’t hit me before. I set a goal for the next 14 months to climb 100 peaks before I turned 18 (122 and counting) and discovered LoJ and the climbing community, and soon after realized that at a reasonable but stiff pace I could climb the 14ers before I turn 20 and the 13ers before I turn 30.
Great job on exceeding your 100 peak goal!
"Education is the process of moving from cocksure ignorance to thoughtful uncertainty." (Utvich)
-wren-
14ers: 51  3 
13ers: 109 6
Trip Reports (0)

Post by -wren- »

Ed_Groves wrote: Fri Jun 25, 2021 6:07 am
Great job on exceeding your 100 peak goal!
Thank you! Took me to a lot of areas within 90 minutes of home in south Denver I never knew existed. If anyone reading this has never been to the south platte region, Lyons hogback country, or lost creek wilderness, make it a priority!