Climate Change

Items that do not fit the categories above.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.

Climate change:

is happening and is a direct consequence of industrialism and overpopulation over the last 200yrs and if we do nothing, humans are going to live in dramatically different, inhospitable conditions over the next 200yrs, think Mad Max
69%
is happening and is just a natural cycle of the earth and environment, will happen again once we are long gone, and possibly not much we can do about it except maybe at the margin
16%
is likely happening and we just currently lack sufficient information over a long enough period to draw an accurate conclusion of the extent that humans have possibly impacted its potential acceleration
12%
is Hogwash, what climate change? It's the media and politicians trying to scare us or sway votes and public opinion. EVs? I don't even like charging my phone.
3%

Total votes: 116
nyker
14ers: 58 
13ers: 25
Trip Reports (69)

Climate Change

Post by nyker »

TNF thread got me thinking...
Dave B
Trip Reports (9)

Re: Climate Change

Post by Dave B »

Yes, the climate can change naturally.

Yes, human activities are directly responsible for the current unprecedented rate of warming.
Make wilderness less accessible.
AndrewLyonsGeibel
14ers: 9 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by AndrewLyonsGeibel »

1 and 2.
myfeetrock
14ers: 37  1 
13ers: 12
Trip Reports (0)

Post by myfeetrock »

Climate change is real. The climate has been changing for 4 billion years. I don't care what anyone says, not even a thousand years of recorded history can without a doubt confirm any educated guess. Before you proceed, there's a difference between a guess, and proven facts.
Dave B
Trip Reports (9)

Post by Dave B »

myfeetrock wrote: Sat Jun 12, 2021 1:42 pm Climate change is real. The climate has been changing for 4 billion years. I don't care what anyone says, not even a thousand years of recorded history can without a doubt confirm any educated guess. Before you proceed, there's a difference between a guess, and proven facts.
NASA disagrees:
The current warming trend is of particular significance because most of it is extremely likely (greater than 95% probability) to be the result of human activity since the mid-20th century and proceeding at a rate that is unprecedented over millennia.1
Make wilderness less accessible.
myfeetrock
14ers: 37  1 
13ers: 12
Trip Reports (0)

Post by myfeetrock »

95%.Not 100% without a doubt. To each his own. We don't have to share the same views.
prairiechicken
Trip Reports (0)

Post by prairiechicken »

myfeetrock wrote: Sat Jun 12, 2021 2:08 pm 95%.Not 100% without a doubt. To each his own. We don't have to share the same views.
I don't think you understand statistics, or science in general. Nothing can be 100% without a doubt. Nothing.
montanahiker
14ers: 38 
13ers: 185
Trip Reports (0)

Post by montanahiker »

So Mad Max or three versions of "nothing to see here"? :-k

Can you tell a person's political views by how they write a poll? I think you can.
There's more to life than 14ers. There are 13ers.
TomPierce
Trip Reports (2)

Post by TomPierce »

AndrewLyonsGeibel wrote: Sat Jun 12, 2021 1:27 pm 1 and 2.
That's sort of where I land. I think there is natural fluctuation in the climate, and this is borne out to some extent by the historically fluctuating levels of CO2 in the atmoshere. But I think that man-caused pollution, etc. aggravates the fluctuation to our detriment, significantly. Potentiation?

Fwiw, I find the ice core data compelling, hard to argue against 800,000 years of data. Finally, just common sense: We can pump tons of industrial waste into the atmoshere for almost 200 years (or whenever the industrial revolution truly kicked off) with absolutely no consequences? None? Hmm....hard to wrap my head around that.

Just my opinions.

-Tom
cottonmountaineering
14ers: 58  7  18 
13ers: 178 38 31
Trip Reports (1)

Post by cottonmountaineering »

releasing ~1.5 trillion tons of CO2 into the atmosphere has changed things undoubtedly
SchralpTheGnar
14ers: 51  49  1 
13ers: 38 30
Trip Reports (22)

Post by SchralpTheGnar »

I’m not sure what to think, or what to do
cedica
Trip Reports (0)

Post by cedica »

SchralpTheGnar wrote: Sat Jun 12, 2021 2:52 pm I’m not sure what to think, or what to do
Try this: https://www.vineright.com/print/pdf-reg.php?ID=61335