curious static noise (ringing in ears)?

Items that do not fit the categories above.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
timisimaginary
14ers: 3 
13ers: 1
Trip Reports (2)

Re: curious static noise (ringing in ears)?

Post by timisimaginary »

pvnisher wrote: Thu Jun 03, 2021 5:27 pm
peter303 wrote: Thu Jun 03, 2021 4:32 pm Tinnitus is common long term symptom of covid.
Doctors dont know why.
I think nearly any sentence with "long term" and "covid" is most likely premature.
plenty of people who got sick with COVID over a year ago and still have long term effects, like fatigue, shortness of breath, brain fog, taste/smell problems and more. if somebody is experiencing issues more than a year after "recovering" (i.e. testing negative post-infection), then i'd describe that as long-term.
"The decay and disintegration of this culture is astonishingly amusing if you're emotionally detached from it." - George Carlin
timisimaginary
Trip Reports (2)

Post by timisimaginary »

WVMountaineer wrote: Thu Jun 03, 2021 12:01 pm
timisimaginary wrote: Thu Jun 03, 2021 9:27 am those of us out east have been experiencing a lot of static and ringing in the ears lately. we call it "cicadas".
I had a good laugh with this comment! My wife is a Denver native and has never experienced cicadas so I was trying to explain the plague like 17 year cycle they come out on. "Sounds disgusting..." The lack of bugs and water is CO is something I miss about growing up in WV.
i love the cicadas. they're actually kinda cute, they're just so goofy-looking and awkward. legs barely long enough to crawl with, wings barely strong enough to lift their fat bodies in the air. i could do without the noise though. evolution produces some strange results.

gnats on the other hand... ugh. the only thing they're good for is a reminder to inhale through my nose when running.
"The decay and disintegration of this culture is astonishingly amusing if you're emotionally detached from it." - George Carlin
Dave B
Trip Reports (9)

Post by Dave B »

peter303 wrote: Thu Jun 03, 2021 4:32 pm Tinnitus is common long term symptom of covid.
Doctors dont know why.
I think nearly any sentence with "long term" and "covid" is most likely premature.
Long term in this case can refer to anything beyond the "average" time of illness, which can include months. One of my friends has "long covid," she went from ultra runner to barely able to walk for more than 30 minutes without getting exhausted. This has persisted for the 10 months since her positive test. Doctors are considering a pace-maker, but the problem isn't severe enough for insurance to cover it. But, they nonetheless consider it a "long term" effect of covid.
Make wilderness less accessible.
12ersRule
14ers: 58 
13ers: 157
Trip Reports (4)

Post by 12ersRule »

I'm just here to say that this actor should've won the Oscar for this (not that I've seen the other contenders yet, but I can't imagine they're better):

Sound of Metal
timisimaginary
Trip Reports (2)

Post by timisimaginary »

Dave B wrote: Mon Jun 07, 2021 9:34 am
Doctors dont know why.
Long term in this case can refer to anything beyond the "average" time of illness, which can include months. One of my friends has "long covid," she went from ultra runner to barely able to walk for more than 30 minutes without getting exhausted. This has persisted for the 10 months since her positive test. Doctors are considering a pace-maker, but the problem isn't severe enough for insurance to cover it. But, they nonetheless consider it a "long term" effect of covid.
the CDC defines chronic conditions (synonym: long-term) as "conditions that last 1 year or more and require ongoing medical attention or limit activities of daily living or both." - https://www.cdc.gov/chronicdisease/about/index.htm
COVID has been around over 1-1/2 years and so far, about 10% of infected people develop long-term symptoms, so it definitely qualifies.
the good news is, COVID vaccines were tested on people beginning over a year ago, and have been used on the general public for over 6 months, with no indications of long-term effects. strangely, there are a lot of people out there who seem worried about the long-term effects of a vaccine that's been injected in over half a billion people worldwide with no signs of any long-term effects, but don't seem at all worried about contracting a disease that's already been proven to produce severe long-term conditions in a significant percentage of infected people.
pvnisher
Trip Reports (8)

Post by pvnisher »

timisimaginary wrote: Mon Jun 07, 2021 9:03 am
Doctors dont know why.
I think nearly* any sentence with "long term" and "covid" is most likely premature.
plenty of people who got sick with COVID over a year ago and still have long term effects, like fatigue, shortness of breath, brain fog, taste/smell problems and more. if somebody is experiencing issues more than a year after "recovering" (i.e. testing negative post-infection), then i'd describe that as long-term.
*Nearly