Early starts and feeling sick

Items that do not fit the categories above.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
highpilgrim
14ers: 58 
13ers: 84 1
Trip Reports (1)

Re: Early starts and feeling sick

Post by highpilgrim »

My ex called this morning sickness. Guess that’s been ruled out?
Call on God, but row away from the rocks.
Hunter S Thompson

Walk away from the droning and leave the hive behind.
Dick Derkase
ltlFish99
14ers: 49  3  2 
13ers: 51
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Early starts and feeling sick

Post by ltlFish99 »

I was always rushed at work, being on call etc. for decades. I do not like to be rushed at all anymore for anything.
Therefore, I get up at least 1 hour, sometimes 1.5 hours before I want to leave the trailhead.
I got a cheap but very comfortable twin mattress for the back of my Durango and sleep with earplugs. I get to the trailhead early the evening prior so I can eat well and get to sleep early.
Most 14er trailheads are popular and crowded, even during the week. That is why I use earplugs. Vehicles coming and going and people getting ready etc. do not bother me. I set my alarm as loud as possible, and also set it to vibrate so I still wake up with the ear plugs.
I always have something to eat for breakfast, not a lot, but a nice meal.
What I found to be key was hydration. I pre hydrate the day before by over consuming liquids and as soon as I wake up I start drinking Gatorade in ernest.
I try to drink most of if not all of 1 quart prior to starting my hike. I always take my time in the morning as I am there to enjoy myself.
I take 2 quarts of Gatorade and easy to consume food with me on the hike. For me this means things like chocolate gu energy gels, chocolate/peanutbutter protein bars, animal crackers, a couple of spicy beef stick's, and a couple of snickers.i know, junk food, but the one thing I can always eat, no matter the altitude is sugar.

I start my hikes at a slow to moderate but deliberate pace. I am comfortable with the route having prepared well in advance for the adventure which helps eliminate some stress.
After about 20 minutes as I get into a nice rythm I pick up my pace. Not a lot, but enough that I will feel fine taking breaks when I want to. I pause mainly to consume liquids and eat a little. I may also check my position once in a while to confirm I am still on my desired route.
I always watch the weather to see if or when storms start to build and to track thier progression.
I do everything with intent, but not in a rushed fashion.
All of this keeps me relaxed, feeling comfortable, and most Importantly enjoying myself.