Wilmington vs Dover. What’s your opinion?

Items that do not fit the categories above.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.

Wilmington vs Dover

Wilmington
11%
Dover
16%
Wilmington or Dover
5%
Wilmington and Dover
5%
Not Wilmington Nor Dover
58%
Other
5%

Total votes: 19
pvnisher
Trip Reports (8)

Re: Wilmington vs Dover. What’s your opinion?

Post by pvnisher »

coneydogron wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 10:42 am
pvnisher wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 7:08 am I once knew a guy from Dover. First name Ben.
Definitely not a stand up guy.
Sounds like a guy I knew... Did he have a brother in Moorehead NC?
Maybe a cousin of Mike from Hunt, TX.
timisimaginary
14ers: 3 
13ers: 1
Trip Reports (2)

Post by timisimaginary »

finally a topic on this forum i can speak about with some authority.

definitely Wilmington. sure, Dover has NASCAR... but there's some positive qualities to it as well. it has an AFB for one. maybe you'll run into CaptCo there sometime. Wilmington, on the other hand, is Biden's hometown.
everything in Dover is flat as a pancake. Wilmington, on the other hand, has proximity to some 50' hills, so it's much better for mountaineering purposes. if you're feeling ambitious, you can eventually work your way up to Iron Hill, with 200' of prominence it's the most prominent peak in DE. you could get there from Dover too, but it's a whole 30 minute drive further away, so Wilmington is clearly a better choice.
2giqs wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 8:16 am Wilmington. Access to the parks and trails of White Clay, Carpenter, Fair Hill, Brandywine, Elk Neck, etc.
this guy knows where it's at.
"The decay and disintegration of this culture is astonishingly amusing if you're emotionally detached from it." - George Carlin
cougar
14ers: 58  2 
13ers: 135 2
Trip Reports (10)

Post by cougar »

Roy Rogers on 95 is by far the states most visited tourist attraction, and a must see, and I count it as a visit. Wilmington has the state highpoint as well as closer access to the mountains. Closer to Dogfish Head and surfing would be good too, as Dover is centrally located.
http://www.listsofjohn.com/m/cougar

"If we don't change direction, we'll end up where we're going."
"Bushwhacking is like a box of chocolates - you never know what you're gonna get."
"Don't give up on your dreams, stay asleep"
timisimaginary
Trip Reports (2)

Post by timisimaginary »

12ersRule wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 6:01 am Isn't Roy Rogers the same thing as Arbys?
no, Roy Rogers has fried chicken and Arby's doesn't.
also, Arby's has a higher prevalence of foodborne germs that will put you in the hospital. at least in my experience.
"The decay and disintegration of this culture is astonishingly amusing if you're emotionally detached from it." - George Carlin
speth
14ers: 58  5 
13ers: 44
Trip Reports (3)

Post by speth »

timisimaginary wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 10:54 am
12ersRule wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 6:01 am Isn't Roy Rogers the same thing as Arbys?
no, Roy Rogers has fried chicken and Arby's doesn't.
also, Arby's has a higher prevalence of foodborne germs that will put you in the hospital. at least in my experience.
Needs more Jack in the Box.

All I want is to just have fun, live my life like a son of a gun
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Sarcasm or not, it's not even funny to post something like this. Not at this time. Reported.
JChitwood
14ers: 58 
13ers: 51
Trip Reports (0)

Post by JChitwood »

I don’t like Delaware. Since I’m terrified to fly we take many driving trips each year and always play the license plate game. Can’t tell you how many trips we get 49 out of 50 and the odd plate out is Delaware. It’s a pretty neat plate too the understated dark background with yellow numbers and the state motto THE FIRST STATE on top. Wonder how many folks know humble Delaware was the first state? And they haven’t gone bat s—t crazy with 200 different plates like most states so you always know when you see Delaware. But you don’t see it much. I know it’s on the other side of the country and has fewer than a million people, but Delawareans don’t make it out here in big numbers. Other eastern states are small but you can always count on seeing New Hampshirites, Vermonters, Mainers, Connecticuters, and Massachusettsans. And dare I say there are many more reasons to hang out in those states than Delaware. So Delaware and Rhode Island are always the biggest obstacles on the way to 50. You’d think Hawai’i would be tough but it’s always around. And Alaska is one of the smallest populated states and is far away but I saw four Alaska plates just driving to Fort Collins from Castle Rock last week.
"I'll make it." - Jimmy Chitwood
timisimaginary
Trip Reports (2)

Post by timisimaginary »

JChitwood wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 11:13 pm I don’t like Delaware. Since I’m terrified to fly we take many driving trips each year and always play the license plate game. Can’t tell you how many trips we get 49 out of 50 and the odd plate out is Delaware. It’s a pretty neat plate too the understated dark background with yellow numbers and the state motto THE FIRST STATE on top. Wonder how many folks know humble Delaware was the first state? And they haven’t gone bat s—t crazy with 200 different plates like most states so you always know when you see Delaware. But you don’t see it much. I know it’s on the other side of the country and has fewer than a million people, but Delawareans don’t make it out here in big numbers. Other eastern states are small but you can always count on seeing New Hampshirites, Vermonters, Mainers, Connecticuters, and Massachusettsans. And dare I say there are many more reasons to hang out in those states than Delaware. So Delaware and Rhode Island are always the biggest obstacles on the way to 50. You’d think Hawai’i would be tough but it’s always around. And Alaska is one of the smallest populated states and is far away but I saw four Alaska plates just driving to Fort Collins from Castle Rock last week.
in fairness, if you were lucky enough to live in Delaware, why would you ever leave?