College vs skilled trades. What's your take?

Items that do not fit the categories above.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Jbrow327
Trip Reports (0)

Re: College vs skilled trades. What's your take?

Post by Jbrow327 »

pvnisher wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 5:47 pm No one's going to say to follow your passion, find what you love and you'll never work a day in your life, enjoy the grind, work for yourself, get that bread?!

Without meaningless, empty platitudes, what else have we got?!
Lol. If you're passion happens to be something marketable then that's great. For most people they do something they can stand so it pays the bills. Nothing wrong with that. People don't want to pay you for hobbies lol.
Conor
14ers: 41  6  6 
13ers: 51 1 1
Trip Reports (7)

Post by Conor »

I'm a licensed engineer but work a "blue collar" job that doesn't require a degree.
ltlFish99
14ers: 49  3  2 
13ers: 51
Trip Reports (0)

Post by ltlFish99 »

I left high school after the 10th grade for several very boring reasons.
I regret not going to college for the social interaction, etc.
But, I drank so much back then that college would have been waste of time and money. Probably a lot of fun, but for the wrong reasons.
As soon as possible I got a job in technology at the company I already worked at.
Did that as an employee for 16 years, getting paid to travel the country.
Quit to become an it contractor/ consultant.
Got contract jobs initially for 3 to 6 months, etc.
Eventually, got a 6 month gig that turned into 5 years.
By this time I had started doing IT finance, specifically focused on the enormous amount of money wasted, left on the table etc. during large projects with multi million dollar capital budgets.
This was a very fun, physically simple job that paid very well for several years.
The physically difficult jobs I have had for short periods always paid the least.
The more mentally intensive jobs have always paid much better.
In my work there were hundreds of people with degrees they did not utilize.
STEM is the ticket imo for a career path, but I am biased as I absolutely love technology.

Still kind of think about what I might have missed by not studying economics back when I was not ancient.

Oh well, water under the bridge.
mtnkub
14ers: 58  1  7 
13ers: 116 4 4
Trip Reports (5)

Post by mtnkub »

highpilgrim wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 3:41 pm Is this in Utah, or Colorado, or even mizzery?

Discusss.

Btw: do you ever hike anything, or just come up with questions from the void? And if so, is that your full-time job, or part-time, or hobby?

Also discuss.
I'm sorry pilgrim, but unless you start your own individual threads for each of these questions, we just cannot take them seriously!
griddles
14ers: 11 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by griddles »

I'll bite. I have a liberal arts degree (philosophy) and liberal arts masters (MLIS). I work in tech now doing cyber security. How :shrug:? It sure pays enough. My wife also has a LA undergrad and masters and works in a field unrelated to either that pays more than mine. Trades are what you make them. Had several friends work as mechanics or factory jobs. They seemed happy and had more friends at work than I do. But there was also a cap on wages that was quickly lowering.

I went to a school that had a big nursing school. All the nurses started working right after school and were making lots of money for their age. Only trouble is that is about as much as they will ever make unless they went back and did a master's, became manager's, or worked only the night shift. Good enough money and a if you like it good for you; but life time earning is capped.

Really depends on what you want in life.
Wentzl
14ers: 58  20 
13ers: 55
Trip Reports (49)

Post by Wentzl »

Yet another inane thread started by a blank that some here have described as either learning disabled or a troll.

How about a poll about who has been vaccinated against COVID and who has not, and please, discuss why.

Anyone know if the winter gate to Yankee Boy is open yet? Supposed to be May 1, but historically late. Should be any day now.
Shorter of Breath and One Day Closer . . .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YZXKgl8turY

"Social Justice" = Injustice
Jbrow327
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Jbrow327 »

griddles wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 9:41 pm I'll bite. I have a liberal arts degree (philosophy) and liberal arts masters (MLIS). I work in tech now doing cyber security. How :shrug:? It sure pays enough. My wife also has a LA undergrad and masters and works in a field unrelated to either that pays more than mine. Trades are what you make them. Had several friends work as mechanics or factory jobs. They seemed happy and had more friends at work than I do. But there was also a cap on wages that was quickly lowering.

I went to a school that had a big nursing school. All the nurses started working right after school and were making lots of money for their age. Only trouble is that is about as much as they will ever make unless they went back and did a master's, became manager's, or worked only the night shift. Good enough money and a if you like it good for you; but life time earning is capped.

Really depends on what you want in life.
How did you get into cybersecurity?
RETEP 1
14ers: 58 
13ers: 38
Trip Reports (0)

Post by RETEP 1 »

+1 for skilled trades. Carpenter by trade.
cougar
14ers: 58  2 
13ers: 135 2
Trip Reports (10)

Post by cougar »

I've had auto and home repair bills cost as much as emergency surgery. Trades make as much hourly as doctors and even some surgeons with less tuition and years of school. Big time if you own your business. Real estate agents can make a lot although it's competitive. Underwear modeling is a cool gig, but hard to maintain certification, so most careers are brief, unless you think outside the boxers.
http://www.listsofjohn.com/m/cougar

"If we don't change direction, we'll end up where we're going."
"Bushwhacking is like a box of chocolates - you never know what you're gonna get."
"Don't give up on your dreams, stay asleep"
Jbrow327
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Jbrow327 »

Good replies so far
Reg0928
14ers: 58 
13ers: 253 2 11
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Reg0928 »

I've got a Bachelor's in Exercise Physiology. I don't use it, and I would probably be making more money if I had just learned to weld or something like that
BillMiddlebrook
Site Administrator
14ers: 58  46  19 
13ers: 172 44 37
Trip Reports (2)

Post by BillMiddlebrook »

Jbrow327 wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 2:43 pm Good replies so far
Nice!

Next up... "TP: Back of the roll or front? Discuss..."
"When I go out, I become more alive. I just love skiing. The gravitational pull. When you ski steep terrain... you can almost get a feeling of flying." -Doug Coombs