What do you guys do for work/careers?

Items that do not fit the categories above.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Jbrow327
Trip Reports (0)

What do you guys do for work/careers?

Post by Jbrow327 »

To be able to support your mountaineering lifestyle, what do you guys do?
d_baker
14ers: 58  15 
13ers: 348 11
Trip Reports (59)

Re: What do you guys do for work/careers?

Post by d_baker »

Jbrow327 wrote: Wed Apr 28, 2021 6:44 pm To be able to support your mountaineering lifestyle, what do you guys do?
You're full of questions....

I'm a project superintendent for a golf course construction company. We also own courses, and offer management and support for courses all over the country.
Sports fields too.

I travel a lot to projects out of state, which can be tough on my preferred lifestyle, but at same time interesting and sometimes exciting.
Going to the desert of AZ in a few days, for 4 months, in the heat of the summer, not so great! But Scottsdale is nice.
cottonmountaineering
14ers: 58  7  18 
13ers: 178 38 31
Trip Reports (1)

Post by cottonmountaineering »

you can do 14ers with jorts and gas money, i work in IT though
cedica
Trip Reports (0)

Post by cedica »

cottonmountaineering wrote: Wed Apr 28, 2021 6:58 pm i work in IT though
Then you know what chatbot is.
CoHi591
14ers: 58  4 
13ers: 76
Trip Reports (0)

Post by CoHi591 »

For the last several years I worked for Trader Joe's. It's just grocery store money, but it's a better living wage than any other grocery stores, and the flexibility is what kept me there for so long. Made my own schedule so I could run or bike or peakbag in the morning and then work a 3pm-11pm. Was also able to take off whenever I wanted without any consequences - for example last year on July 5th I decided I wanted to do the JMT and explore the Bishop area so I put in for July 20-August 8 off and they were just like "sure have fun". Then I took off August 20-30 for a Telluride trip. Again, no problem. Money was always sort of tight but I'm fine with cheap rent for a tiny room in a shared house, fine with a very low budget diet, fine with mostly minimalism so I had no problem sending all my funds to gas and (sometimes secondhand, no bells and whistles) hiking gear.

Now, though, I work for a tech startup. Entry level stuff, my education is not in anything related. Better money is nice but the real draw was 1) a schedule of 10 hour shifts Thurs through Sun so I get Mon through Wed off every week and 2) being able to be full time remote, so I'm looking at a summer of living out of my car and renting office space in various mountain towns in CO, CA, MT, and fall in UT and AZ, so I can be out there all the time.
The lack of schedule flexibility now is a major drawback though. I don't get to call in and tell them I'm gonna work this day instead of that day based on the weather, like I did at TJs. Ah well, adulthood. It was a goal for most of my life to get a remote job so I can functionally live on the road while keeping healthcare and a steady income, startup world delivered.
Last edited by CoHi591 on Wed Apr 28, 2021 7:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The days I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations, I have really good days.
justiner
14ers: 58  8 
13ers: 138
Trip Reports (40)

Post by justiner »

I make all my money via affiliate links selling extremely tiny blue backpacks.
douglas
14ers: 53 
13ers: 3
Trip Reports (2)

Post by douglas »

Pediatric cardiologist
Dave B
Trip Reports (9)

Post by Dave B »

I promote satanism and partake in homosexual drug fueled orgies atop piles of tax payer money while slowly caressing my nipples with an autographed first edition of Das Kapital.

A.K.A. scientist researching climate change impacts on mountain ecosystems and water resources
Last edited by Dave B on Thu Apr 29, 2021 7:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
Make wilderness less accessible.
highpilgrim
14ers: 58 
13ers: 84 1
Trip Reports (1)

Post by highpilgrim »

Dave B wrote: Wed Apr 28, 2021 8:21 pm I promote satanism and partake in homosexual drug fueled orgies atop piles of tax payer money while slowly caressing my nipples with an autographed first edition of Das Kapital.
TMI, but :lol:

Oh: I’m an architectural designer.
Call on God, but row away from the rocks.
Hunter S Thompson

Walk away from the droning and leave the hive behind.
Dick Derkase
Wentzl
14ers: 58  20 
13ers: 55
Trip Reports (49)

Post by Wentzl »

Landlord
Last edited by Wentzl on Fri Apr 30, 2021 3:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Shorter of Breath and One Day Closer . . .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YZXKgl8turY

"Social Justice" = Injustice
Dave B
Trip Reports (9)

Post by Dave B »

highpilgrim wrote: Wed Apr 28, 2021 8:25 pm
TMI, but :lol:
Just figured I'd get it out there before Tucker Carlson gets ahold of it.
Make wilderness less accessible.
painless4u2
14ers: 58 
Trip Reports (8)

Post by painless4u2 »

Dave B wrote: Wed Apr 28, 2021 8:21 pm I promote satanism and partake in homosexual drug fueled orgies atop piles of tax payer money while slowly caressing my nipples with an autographed first edition of Das Kapital.
Huh. I figured you more the signed Rules for Radicals: A Pragmatic Primer for Realistic Radicals type.
Bad decisions often make good stories.

IPAs + Ambien = "14ers" post (Bill M.)

In their hearts humans plan their course, but the Lord establishes their steps. Proverbs 16:9