Slumgullion history...

Items that do not fit the categories above.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
ltlFish99
14ers: 49  3  2 
13ers: 51
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Slumgullion history...

Post by ltlFish99 »

Wentzl wrote: Mon Apr 26, 2021 8:45 pm Lake San Cristobal does have an interesting history.

https://www.vaildaily.com/news/slumgull ... -recently/

Let's hear some other fun historic Colorado facts. I will go first.

Parachute was the scene of a mass slaughter of 1000's of sheep during the range wars of the 1880's. I just heard about this recently and seemed like a nice adjunct to your history post.

https://www.postindependent.com/news/ma ... e-in-1894/

And, Colorado as a peacetime nuclear test site. Might be news to some of you:

https://www.onlyinyourstate.com/colorad ... t-site-co/
The Woodstock Colorado avalanche was an unfortunate, but interesting occurrence:

https://coloradoartifactual.com/chaffee ... o-history/
Boggy B
14ers: 58  7 
13ers: 777 76
Trip Reports (40)

Post by Boggy B »

highpilgrim wrote: Tue Apr 27, 2021 8:47 am Just the facts, Man.
I always thought, based on the most recent investigations (also noted in the Wikipedia entry), that he was actually telling the truth. He maintained until his death that he had killed only Bell. He never said he didn't partake.
Rollie Free
14ers: 45 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Rollie Free »

highpilgrim wrote: Tue Apr 27, 2021 8:47 am
Rollie Free wrote: Tue Apr 27, 2021 8:16 am Now does that sound like the monster some make him out to be?
Just another old guy reevaluating the poor judgement of his past youth. And old folk's digestion is fussier so he just adjusted his diet some not to mention that old slow guys would have a harder time catching and subduing a meal.

Just the facts, Man.
I've been to the kill site several times. The real tragedy in this episode was it never had to happen. Even in rough weather it was no more than an hours walk to the Cannibal Grill.

If they only knew.
"Quicker than I can tell it, my hands failed to hold, my feet slipped, and down I went with almost an arrow’s rapidity. An eternity of thought, of life, of death, wife, and home concentrated on my mind in those two seconds. Fortunately for me, I threw my right arm around a projecting boulder which stood above the icy plain some two or three feet." Rev. Elijah Lamb
highpilgrim
14ers: 58 
13ers: 84 1
Trip Reports (1)

Post by highpilgrim »

Boggy B wrote: Tue Apr 27, 2021 3:53 pm I always thought, based on the most recent investigations (also noted in the Wikipedia entry), that he was actually telling the truth. He maintained until his death that he had killed only Bell. He never said he didn't partake.
Except his story changed repeatedly. One way or the other, much of what we know leads to my assessing him as a thoroughly undesirable travel companion, at best. He lied about his credentials, made foolhardy decisions putting others at risk, got them all lost, ate some of those people he was responsible for (but maybe didn't personally kill) and then stole all their money and belongings. I have a hard time finding positives there.

He and Dr. J seem to have have some shared philosophy, although dining is not part of it. :lol: And they both seem to have profited from some of their less than scrupulous behavior.

Rollie Free wrote: Tue Apr 27, 2021 4:39 pm The real tragedy in this episode was it never had to happen. Even in rough weather it was no more than an hours walk to the Cannibal Grill.
I guess he could have been more efficient if he had known that; he could have just killed them and taken all their valuables without having had to eat them. Still not representative of what you'd expect from a guide though. And then we'd have no Cannibal Grill. Or maybe you were just suggesting the tragedy is that he had to eat them mostly without more careful preparation in a proper kitchen?
Call on God, but row away from the rocks.
Hunter S Thompson

Walk away from the droning and leave the hive behind.
Dick Derkase
aholle88
14ers: 57  24  26 
13ers: 300 29 3
Trip Reports (1)

Post by aholle88 »

Boggy B wrote: Tue Apr 27, 2021 3:53 pm
highpilgrim wrote: Tue Apr 27, 2021 8:47 am Just the facts, Man.
I always thought, based on the most recent investigations (also noted in the Wikipedia entry), that he was actually telling the truth. He maintained until his death that he had killed only Bell. He never said he didn't partake.
I just lost an hour of my life reading that whole Wiki page, so thanks for that :lol: ](*,)

What’s interesting is that they, somewhat recently, did new research on the bodies. Could you imagine being that homeowner and finding out those bodies were buried 13” below your driveway? I’m not usually one for believing in ghosts or whatever really, but I can’t say I’d want to live on the site of that history. Surprised Ghosthunters or one of those shows haven’t done something around there, seems like it has all the history for something like that.
434stonemill
14ers: 33 
13ers: 4
Trip Reports (2)

Post by 434stonemill »

I always love the quote on the historical display just outside Lake City.
Lake City - Gateview 081.jpg
Lake City - Gateview 081.jpg (128.62 KiB) Viewed 2207 times
Maybe Alferd Packer was just ahead of his time in Republican's efforts to suppress the Democratic vote
(***Please recognize this as a joke. I don't want to be accused of hijacking a thread and it spiraling out of control in some political fashion***)

As for the Texans annexing Lake City every summer, some may claim they are just staking their historical rights to the land, as it may or may not have been part of the Republic of Texas. I have never been able to find a good map showing which parts of current day Colorado where part of Texas. Looking at the old maps of Texas and the lands claimed by them, in dispute with Mexico, it is easy to see the border with the Rio Grande as you head north up from Santa Fe, but as you get closer to what is now Creede, I have never discerned where exactly that border then heads directly north into Wyoming.
highpilgrim
13ers: 84 1
Trip Reports (1)

Post by highpilgrim »

434stonemill wrote: Wed Apr 28, 2021 5:05 pm As for the Texans annexing Lake City every summer, some may claim they are just staking their historical rights to the land, as it may or may not have been part of the Republic of Texas.
Texans think the world revolves around them but the only thing that actually does is the stench of the oil industry. Anyone that’s been to Midland knows the truth of it.
Call on God, but row away from the rocks.
Hunter S Thompson

Walk away from the droning and leave the hive behind.
Dick Derkase
Kiefer
14ers: 58  39 
13ers: 317 24
Trip Reports (20)

Post by Kiefer »

highpilgrim wrote: Wed Apr 28, 2021 8:30 pm
434stonemill wrote: Wed Apr 28, 2021 5:05 pm As for the Texans annexing Lake City every summer, some may claim they are just staking their historical rights to the land, as it may or may not have been part of the Republic of Texas.
Texans think the world revolves around them but the o
434stonemill wrote: Wed Apr 28, 2021 5:05 pm I always love the quote on the historical display just outside Lake City.
Lake City - Gateview 081.jpg
Maybe Alferd Packer was just ahead of his time in Republican's efforts to suppress the Democratic vote
(***Please recognize this as a joke. I don't want to be accused of hijacking a thread and it spiraling out of control in some political fashion***)

As for the Texans annexing Lake City every summer, some may claim they are just staking their historical rights to the land, as it may or may not have been part of the Republic of Texas. I have never been able to find a good map showing which parts of current day Colorado where part of Texas. Looking at the old maps of Texas and the lands claimed by them, in dispute with Mexico, it is easy to see the border with the Rio Grande as you head north up from Santa Fe, but as you get closer to what is now Creede, I have never discerned where exactly that border then heads directly north into Wyoming.
nly thing that actually does is the stench of the oil industry. Anyone that’s been to Midland knows the truth of it.

When I used to drive a truck, I've picked up & delivered in Midland and Odessa many times. I agree 10000% with this. I'd rather live in cornhole, Kansas than Midland. Seriously, those people. :shock:
It is weird though, that Hinsdale County used to be owned by Texas. Pretty cool fact. I ran into this while researching history of Henson, Capitol City and some of the mines up that way.

ANOTHER FUN FACT!!
Colorado is the ONLY state in the country that doesn't have any water sources flowing INTO it! :)
NM_Hiker
Trip Reports (0)

Post by NM_Hiker »

highpilgrim wrote: Tue Apr 27, 2021 7:53 am Alferd Packer, "The Colorado Cannibal" overstated his backcountry skills and signed on to guide a group to the San Juans and then to the Breckenridge gold fields. It was winter, dark and deep, and things did not go well. Being cold and hungry, Alferd ate a number of them and survived.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alferd_Packer
Kiefer wrote: Mon Apr 26, 2021 8:19 pm
The pass takes it name from their dinner! :-D
Incidentally, Alferd ate his fellow hikers very near to Lake City and perhaps some of them wound up in the stew Kiefer mentioned. :lol:
Thanks for sharing this highpilgrm. Will be an interesting read.
nunns
14ers: 43 
13ers: 5
Trip Reports (0)

Post by nunns »

From Wikipedia:

"Robert Newton Ford (January 31, 1862 – June 8, 1892) was an American outlaw best known for his assassination of Jesse James on April 3, 1882. He and his brother Charles, both members of the James–Younger Gang under James’s leadership, went on to perform paid re-enactments of the killing at publicity events. Ford would spend his later years operating multiple saloons and dance halls across the West.

Ten years after James's assassination, Ford was himself the victim of a fatal shot to the neck by Edward Capehart O'Kelley in Creede, Colorado, passing away at only 30 years old. While initially buried in Creede, his remains were later exhumed and reinterred in his hometown of Richmond, Missouri."

(My mom lived in Richmond MO as a young girl. I didn't even know about that part until just now.)

Sean Nunn
"Thy righteousness is like the great mountains." --Psalms 36:6
John Prater
14ers: 58  58 
13ers: 343 2
Trip Reports (0)

Post by John Prater »

Kiefer wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 8:30 am Colorado is the ONLY state in the country that doesn't have any water sources flowing INTO it!
I must be missing some subtlety about this statement.
Matt
13ers: 208
Trip Reports (32)

Post by Matt »

John Prater wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 1:38 pm
Kiefer wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 8:30 am Colorado is the ONLY state in the country that doesn't have any water sources flowing INTO it!
I must be missing some subtlety about this statement.
Me, too
This may not "count," but the San Juan River actually does flow from NM into CO, but only after meandering from its headwaters NE of Pagosa.
What say you, Mr. Thomas?
Screen Shot 2021-04-29 at 1.50.35 PM.png
Screen Shot 2021-04-29 at 1.50.35 PM.png (59.44 KiB) Viewed 1917 times
We are all greater artists than we realize -FWN
A man is rich in proportion to the number of things he can afford to let alone. -HDT
Peak List