Mt. Siple Expedition 2022

Items that do not fit the categories above.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Trotter
14ers: 58  5 
13ers: 220 2 8
Trip Reports (10)

Re: Mt. Siple Expedition 2022

Post by Trotter »

Dave B wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 7:29 am
bdloftin77 wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 7:19 am
Scott P wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 11:48 pm
...it is only a matter of time before the first ascent is nabbed.
And looks like that amount of time might be two years, according to this fundraising website. https://everest2022.com/first-to-summit-mt-siple
That website tho...

I give "The most accomplished big-mountain climber in Michigan" a slim chance of making it. Perhaps a bit more that rando dude looking for major expedition FA partners on the internet without having even looked into costs first, but still a pretty slim chance. I guess at least Steve has his "gimme money so I can go climbing" infrastructure pretty well developed, I'd be curious to know how much people have actually donated to him tho.

From his keynote speaker page:
With mountains of experience in the law enforcement community as well as stories of climbing some of Colorado's highest peaks along with Kilimanjaro in Tanzania, Steve has some amazing experiences to share that are guaranteed to inspire, motivate and invoke a positive shift in his audiences.
lol
But, on his website he's mentioned hes done 13!!!! 14ers along with Kilimanjaro. Sounds like just the guy to do a remote trip for snow climbing in antartica. :roll:
After climbing a great hill, one only finds that there are many more hills to climb. -Nelson Mandela
Whenever I climb I am followed by a dog called Ego. -Nietzsche
Scott P
14ers: 58  16 
13ers: 50 13
Trip Reports (16)

Post by Scott P »

Salient wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 6:05 am
Eli Boardman wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 12:24 pmNow I am in fact curious about the potential for marine access since it's a coastal peak. Who wants to go in on an icebreaker rental? 8)
It appears that there is one cruise company that stops by Siple Island:

https://en.ponant.com/antarctica-the-ross-sea-o160222-9

Since the return trip from the Ross Ice Shelf also goes by Siple Island, it is possible that they might consider dropping you off and picking you up on the way back, assuming you could find a way to release them from all liability. On the way to Ross Ice Shelf, they actually land on the island on a zodiac.

The stop at Siple Island on 2/25/2022 and would be passing Siple Island on the return trip on 3/5/2022. That should be plenty of time to climb the mountain assuming that they would agree to pick you up on the way back.

The cheapest cabin left is 35,330 Euro ($42,946). Not cheap, but it would still be the cheapest way by far to get there. This is the first commercial cruise that I am aware of that actually stops or passes Siple Island.

In all seriousness, if you (homicide133) did want to make the first ascent, someone should contact them. If cruise ships are going to start passing by and landing on Siple Island, it is only a matter of time before the first ascent is nabbed. $125,000 is a much bigger barrier than $43,946 so someone is going to try it sooner or later, assuming the cruise ships allow it. The cruise ship cost is about the same price as a climb of Vinson.
The risk is that if you somehow don’t get back in time then you would be stuck in Antarctica with no way out.
True, but it gives you a 10 day window of what is probably a 3-4 day climb. That should be a pretty safe window.

After people mentioned his website though, dang. Dream big I guess, but there's no way I would go with someone that inexperienced. My kids had more experience than that at 7 or 8 years old. I won't be donating.

Still I wish the OP luck. Who knows? Maybe he'll be able to pull it off.
I'm old, slow and fat. Unfortunately, those are my good qualities.
timisimaginary
14ers: 3 
13ers: 1
Trip Reports (2)

Post by timisimaginary »

no offense, but that website looks like something Dr. Jon K created to make himself look better by comparison.
"The decay and disintegration of this culture is astonishingly amusing if you're emotionally detached from it." - George Carlin
Jon Frohlich
14ers: 58 
13ers: 162 3
Trip Reports (29)

Post by Jon Frohlich »

Dave B wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 7:29 am
bdloftin77 wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 7:19 am
...it is only a matter of time before the first ascent is nabbed.
And looks like that amount of time might be two years, according to this fundraising website. https://everest2022.com/first-to-summit-mt-siple
That website tho...

I give "The most accomplished big-mountain climber in Michigan" a slim chance of making it. Perhaps a bit more that rando dude looking for major expedition FA partners on the internet without having even looked into costs first, but still a pretty slim chance. I guess at least Steve has his "gimme money so I can go climbing" infrastructure pretty well developed, I'd be curious to know how much people have actually donated to him tho.
Umm. I was born and raised in Nebraska too and I've climbed a few more mountains than that guy. I really need to up my fundraising game and speaking fees apparently.
Salient
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Salient »

Not going to lie it’s kinda funny that some guy shows up on a forum that he probably just got recommended to find other hikers/climbers to get people online to come with him to Antarctica for a “first ever climbed” expedition and hasn’t even worked out the logistics yet. Good luck OP, I wonder if you’ve found even 1 single person seriously considering and interested. Although I will be fair and say that many people’s largest issue is the large cost required for this expedition.
Be the best you that you can be.
timisimaginary
14ers: 3 
13ers: 1
Trip Reports (2)

Post by timisimaginary »

Jon Frohlich wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 1:57 pm Umm. I was born and raised in Nebraska too and I've climbed a few more mountains than that guy. I really need to up my fundraising game and speaking fees apparently.
i'll be happy to give you $50K in exchange for exclusive naming rights to your next 14er hike.
"The decay and disintegration of this culture is astonishingly amusing if you're emotionally detached from it." - George Carlin
cougar
14ers: 58  2 
13ers: 135 2
Trip Reports (10)

Post by cougar »

Maybe get passage on a fishing boat, work your way down there. Private vessels can visit with a permit from your embassy.
http://www.listsofjohn.com/m/cougar

"If we don't change direction, we'll end up where we're going."
"Bushwhacking is like a box of chocolates - you never know what you're gonna get."
"Don't give up on your dreams, stay asleep"
Carl_Healy
14ers: 19  3 
13ers: 50 1 3
Trip Reports (4)

Post by Carl_Healy »

Just curious, and pardon my ignorance here as I still have a lot to learn about mountaineering let alone the history of it, but I know the first ascent of Vinson in the 60s was in part sponsored by the NSF.

Are we decades past the point where any such ascent of an Antartic peak would be of scientific value?
Or could one convince a few geologists and other scientists to join such an expedition up Siple that it might see some sponsorship from orgs like NSF? Especially considering the fact that Siple may (or may not) be unclimbed yet?
If you can't run, you walk
If you can't walk, you crawl
If you can't crawl, you find someone to carry you
Jon Frohlich
14ers: 58 
13ers: 162 3
Trip Reports (29)

Post by Jon Frohlich »

timisimaginary wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 9:38 pm
Jon Frohlich wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 1:57 pm Umm. I was born and raised in Nebraska too and I've climbed a few more mountains than that guy. I really need to up my fundraising game and speaking fees apparently.
i'll be happy to give you $50K in exchange for exclusive naming rights to your next 14er hike.
Done. Throw in another $25k and I'll dress the dogs up in sponsored gear with your logos. Send me the paperwork.
Dave B
Trip Reports (9)

Post by Dave B »

Carl_Healy wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 10:02 pm Just curious, and pardon my ignorance here as I still have a lot to learn about mountaineering let alone the history of it, but I know the first ascent of Vinson in the 60s was in part sponsored by the NSF.

Are we decades past the point where any such ascent of an Antartic peak would be of scientific value?
Or could one convince a few geologists and other scientists to join such an expedition up Siple that it might see some sponsorship from orgs like NSF? Especially considering the fact that Siple may (or may not) be unclimbed yet?
It would be challenging to get NSF to sign on to an expedition of this caliber and cost unless there was a *very* novel problem that could be solved only by going to Siple. Possible, but not likely. I know NSF funds CU prof/students going to Baffin Island every year, and the Palmer LTER is stationed out of McMurdo, but those are long term established projects with a record of productivity.

Corporate sponsorship would be way more likely. A million is a much smaller deal to organizations with a boardroom.
Make wilderness less accessible.
Salient
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Salient »

I guess in light of a recent thread, this thread has certainly not aged well...
Be the best you that you can be.