RMNP 2021 Reservation System

Items that do not fit the categories above.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
jakethesnake_630
14ers: 23  5  3 
13ers: 40 10 4
Trip Reports (0)

Re: RMNP 2021 Reservation System

Post by jakethesnake_630 »

Jorts wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 7:18 pm Will this impact accessing Longs TH?
Yes, unfortunately. Although last summer no one ever asked to see mine while there multiple times & I don't think I always placed it on my windshield.
RMNP LONGS.JPG
RMNP LONGS.JPG (59.85 KiB) Viewed 3323 times
ccerling
13ers: 10
Trip Reports (0)

Post by ccerling »

jakethesnake_630 wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 7:55 pm
Yes, unfortunately. Although last summer no one ever asked to see mine while there multiple times & I don't think I always placed it on my windshield.

RMNP LONGS.JPG
Not sure how strict they'll be about it but if you park along the road just outside of the park and walk in instead of using the parking lot you shouldn't need an entrance pass. According to recreation.gov you only need an entrance pass if you're driving into the park.
longs trailhead.png
longs trailhead.png (196.94 KiB) Viewed 3161 times
Plus if you show up past 2:30am or so on a weekend you probably won't get a spot in the lot anyways.
justiner
14ers: 58  8 
13ers: 138
Trip Reports (39)

Post by justiner »

Not as much on street parking as in year’s past. I wouldn’t expect to drive up and always find a spot.
Matt Lemke
13ers: 116 11
Trip Reports (13)

Post by Matt Lemke »

XterraRob wrote: Fri Apr 02, 2021 8:07 pm Everything should require a permit, bottleneck access and force people to move to Idaho with FireOnTheMountain.
Boise is becoming a major city faster than anyone has imagined.
Lemke Climbs
The Pacific Coast to the Great Plains = My Playground
"Take risks not to escape life, but to prevent life from escaping"
"When you come to face what you fear, let the creator guide you"
pw
14ers: 45 
13ers: 70
Trip Reports (1)

Post by pw »

Much as I don't like to see this, it does seem preferable to just letting so many people into the park that it becomes an unpleasant experience. Seems to be a trend doesn't it - Ice Lake Basin possibly this summer too. I think Arches NP has been closing the park at a certain cutoff point on the busiest days for a couple of years.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/pwahl/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Dave B
Trip Reports (9)

Post by Dave B »

Matt Lemke wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 4:19 pm
XterraRob wrote: Fri Apr 02, 2021 8:07 pm Everything should require a permit, bottleneck access and force people to move to Idaho with FireOnTheMountain.
Boise is becoming a major city faster than anyone has imagined.
Just got a redfin report from the house I sold in Boise in 2018 for $340k, now worth $450k. Paid $270k for it in 2016. F*ckin' hell...
Make wilderness less accessible.
peter303
14ers: 34 
13ers: 12
Trip Reports (3)

Post by peter303 »

I wish they would split the reservations 50-50 long term / short term.
Tourists buying plane trips and hotels could vie for the long term in March.
Short term could be apportioned from 7 days ahead to same day.
This is not too complicated for modern computer apps.

Furthermore I would reserve 50% of each type of each reservation for Colorado residents.
(Colorado has recently created an online state id to manage its horrible unemployment fraud mess. This could be used for all state permits like hunting, hiking etc.)
prairiechicken
Trip Reports (0)

Post by prairiechicken »

peter303 wrote: Sat Apr 17, 2021 10:37 pm I wish they would split the reservations 50-50 long term / short term.
Tourists buying plane trips and hotels could vie for the long term in March.
Short term could be apportioned from 7 days ahead to same day.
This is not too complicated for modern computer apps.

Furthermore I would reserve 50% of each type of each reservation for Colorado residents.
(Colorado has recently created an online state id to manage its horrible unemployment fraud mess. This could be used for all state permits like hunting, hiking etc.)
25% of the permits will become available at 5 pm the night before, but they go quick.
martinleroux
14ers: 28 
13ers: 23
Trip Reports (2)

Post by martinleroux »

ccerling wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 8:21 am
jakethesnake_630 wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 7:55 pm
Not sure how strict they'll be about it but if you park along the road just outside of the park and walk in instead of using the parking lot you shouldn't need an entrance pass. According to recreation.gov you only need an entrance pass if you're driving into the park.

Plus if you show up past 2:30am or so on a weekend you probably won't get a spot in the lot anyways.
Seems like RMNP is still trying to figure out the details. From https://www.nps.gov/romo/planyourvisit/ ... system.htm:

Q. Do I have to get a permit if I'm walking or hiking into the park?
A. A timed entry permit is required to enter ALL areas of Rocky Mountain National Park, during the times listed above, when arriving by vehicle whether a visitor parks within the park or outside the park boundary.

But there's a loophole:

Q. Do bicycles have to get permits?
A. At this time, if you are entering the park via bicycle you will not need a timed entry reservation.

So if for some reason you want to start up Long's Peak after 9 am but you don't have a permit, just load a bicycle onto your vehicle, park outside the park boundary below the last hairpin bend, and ride your bicycle the last couple hundred yards to the trailhead.
justiner
13ers: 138
Trip Reports (39)

Post by justiner »

This shall be known as the Long Ranger Loophole. Bike lockup is by the pit toilets! :lol:
DavidK
14ers: 32 
Trip Reports (2)

Post by DavidK »

CaptainSuburbia wrote: Fri Apr 02, 2021 1:11 pm
prairiechicken wrote: Fri Apr 02, 2021 1:03 pm
CaptainSuburbia wrote: Fri Apr 02, 2021 12:46 pm Can you still get in early without reservation and pass?
For Bear Lake corridor you have to get in before 5 am, for the rest of the park it's 9 am.
Thanks!
Can anyone confirm whether this is accurate - do you really not need a timed entry permit if you get to the park before these times for these different areas of the park? The park's website says to print and display your timed entry permit on your dashboard. Just curious if they actually check dashboards for permits, or do they generally look the other way in the case of early arrivals? Thanks for any thoughts on this.
Cygnus X1
14ers: 44  1 
13ers: 17
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Cygnus X1 »

Prairiechicken is correct. The permit is to enter, not park per se. Nothing to display if you enter before those times. A month ago we entered before 5 to climb Chiefs Head. Parked at Glacier Gorge without incident.