In your opinion, what is the hardest 14er?

Items that do not fit the categories above.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
TaylorHolt
14ers: 58  2  15 
13ers: 210 7
Trip Reports (8)

Re: In your opinion, what is the hardest 14er?

Post by TaylorHolt »

JChitwood wrote: Wed Mar 24, 2021 4:56 pm
Dayute wrote: Wed Mar 24, 2021 4:27 pm Odd opinion here but I found Maroon Peak surprisingly hard. The Green Monster or whatever its called goes forever and the routefinding above it is very tedious. Theres plenty of loose rock there too. By comparison I thought the routefinding on LB was a non-issue and I kind of giggled to myself in the choke point at how much easier it was than I thought it would be. The loose rock right above the hourglass was tricky but I didnt think it was that much worse than the final push up Kit Carson from the Challenger traverse. Havent done Capitol yet.
Can’t remember a Green Monster on Maroon. Maybe talking about the Green Wall on Pyramid? I found Maroon difficult too the rock was horrid and the thousands of vertical up and down the Slope of Suck from the valley were brutal. Even with hiking poles I fell three times on the trail going down Maroon it’s high on the list of mountains I will never do again. In fact I may never climb a peak in that valley again the parking difficulties suck as bad as the rock.
I think Green Monster = 2800 Feet of Suck.
Wish I lived in CO wrote: Wed Mar 24, 2021 9:13 pm Someone once posted a wayback interntet link to it and somehow I made an excel file for it. Here it is:

14 list part A.jpg
14 list part B.jpg
14 list part C.jpg
I agree with Capitol being the hardest, but I did Little Bear via the SW Ridge, so I avoided the Hourglass. I certainly won't quibble with anyone who thinks Little Bear is the hardest. That ranked list was always fun to look at, but I though Pyramid and Mt Wilson were way too high and Snowmass, Longs, and Eolus were too low.
“If you're bumming out, you're not gonna get to the top, so as long as we're up here we might as well make a point of grooving." -Scott Fischer
stoopdude
14ers: 57  3 
13ers: 72
Trip Reports (0)

Post by stoopdude »

"Hardest" is so subjective but all I know is, the only 14ers I never want to repeat are both of the Bells. Every rock is trying to kill you.
ekalina
14ers: 20  1 
13ers: 44 5
Trip Reports (0)

Post by ekalina »

Regarding the Hourglass, is it steep enough that people generally face in when downclimbing it? How does the steepness compare to the Homestretch on Longs or the west gully on the Needle? Sounds like the risk of rockfall is certainly higher in the Hourglass, of course.
CoHi591
14ers: 58  4 
13ers: 76
Trip Reports (0)

Post by CoHi591 »

It's so hard to say because of how my skill set has grown. For example, I think I did the Crestones Traverse way before I had any business doing it and it shook me at the time but thinking back now it'd be rather easy and fun.
Capitol made me swear off climbing mountains for a while, I did it solo and felt like I was playing russian roulette for hours wondering if the rocks I was standing on were gonna just slide me down the mountain at any moment. I also did it in it's deadliest summer in 2017 and had only the Crestones and LB-B under my belt for hard 14ers, both of which had been with partners. I think I'd sort of like to revisit that now and see if it is still as scary as it was then.
I think the climbing on Little Bear and the traverse to Blanca is among the toughest technically but I had an absolute blast and don't remember feeling shaky at all. I did the Bells towards the end of my pursuit of the 14ers and had one of the best days of my life, would repeat every year, didn't feel scared once. Dangerous loose rocks lurk nearby but we didn't feel like we were in precarious positions at all as long as we were on route.

It really does depend on your preference and fears. I would (generally speaking) take extremely exposed low class 5 climbing any day over steep scree and loose rocks and the like. Descending Snowmass W slopes and Mt Wilson into Navajo were infinitely more anxiety-producing to me than the whole day of Little Bear-Blanca.
The days I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations, I have really good days.
Dan_Suitor
13ers: 90
Trip Reports (3)

Post by Dan_Suitor »

Non-standard routes are typically more difficult than the standard route which is why the difficult of any mountain is defined by how difficult the easiest (standard) route is.

I think the reason people’s opinion differ on this topic may be the order in which they summit the harder 14ers. The more you get used to exposure, rockfall and duration of climb, the less intimidating future peaks are. The conditions at the time of your climb also play a factor and change how difficult the standard route can be.

Little Bear’s hourglass is much easier as a snow climb. Even without snow it can be difficult when water is running down it. It is even harder if there is ice over the rock. People who rely on the rope may have an added sense of security than those who don’t. Without snow, rockfall is a significant issue, especially if people are climbing on the crap rock a hundred feet above you.

I did Little Bear after the Bells but before Capitol. I did not use the rope but made sure it was close by. The hourglass was free of snow with water going down the center. There was a climber above us who dislodged a few rocks down on us. These are some of the more difficult conditions. As a result, for me my climb of Little Bear was harder than any other 14er.

Here is a picture showing the steepness.
Hour Glass
Hour Glass
WP_20140921_032.jpg (184.04 KiB) Viewed 1924 times
Century Bound, eventually.
ekalina
14ers: 20  1 
13ers: 44 5
Trip Reports (0)

Post by ekalina »

Thanks for the pictures, Alec and Dan. Dan's picture of what I'm guessing is the most difficult climbing in the Hourglass gives a really nice sense of the steepness/scale of the features there. And it certainly looks quite steep.
bdloftin77
14ers: 58  1 
13ers: 58
Trip Reports (2)

Post by bdloftin77 »

It seemed like a solid 45-50 degree angle? Though I’m not the best at guessing angles... Maybe someone else will chime in.
CaptainSuburbia
14ers: 58  35 
13ers: 125 9
Trip Reports (44)

Post by CaptainSuburbia »

You can avoid the hourglass by going around it on the west ridge. It's less steep, mostly class 3 and there are no rock projectiles raining down on you. I've only done the hourglass in snow so I can't compare the 2 routes, but staying on the west ridge seems like a much better option.
Here's my trip report for that route.
https://www.14ers.com/php14ers/triprepo ... m=tripmine
Some day our kids will study Clash lyrics in school.
Nothing drives people crazy like people drive people crazy.
Save Challenger Point
jerseybrian
14ers: 39  1 
13ers: 22
Trip Reports (0)

Post by jerseybrian »

Jbrow327 wrote: Tue Mar 23, 2021 5:11 pm What peak and by what route?
Also, what were the most overrated and underrated peaks for you?
Shermapangma
When I get out I feel more alive - Doug Coombs
CoHi591
13ers: 76
Trip Reports (0)

Post by CoHi591 »

jerseybrian wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 6:44 pm
Jbrow327 wrote: Tue Mar 23, 2021 5:11 pm What peak and by what route?
Also, what were the most overrated and underrated peaks for you?
Shermapangma
Greatest TR in the history of TRs
The days I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations, I have really good days.
GeezerClimber
14ers: 58 
13ers: 24
Trip Reports (0)

Post by GeezerClimber »

highpilgrim wrote: Wed Mar 24, 2021 2:27 pm
CheapCigarMan wrote: Wed Mar 24, 2021 2:21 pm The ask was to rank them in order of difficulty by standard route only.

Rank Peak Route Class RT Gain Exposure
1 Capitol Peak Northeast Ridge from Capitol Lake 4 17 5,300 4
2 Little Bear Peak West Ridge and Southwest Face 4 14 6,200 4
3 Pyramid Peak Northeast Ridge 4 8.25 4,500 4
It's hard to quibble with 1 or 2. Opinions vary with conditions and personal likes/dislikes for what hard means.

But I don't put Pyramid anywhere near 3 on the list. I thought it overrated, starting with the "Leap of Faith". It was fun throughout, the exception being gaining the ridgeline initially. That was crappy. The rest was fun. I had a hard time seeing any of it at class 4.

Certainly it's not 3rd on my list.
I agree that Pyramid is not a class 4. It is a steep one though. And one of my favorites! I thought that #3-9 on the list kind of blend together. How any one person ranks them depends on how one weighs the various factors i.e. technical, exposure, overall effort, rock quality and route finding. It makes for a fun discussion though.

Dave
justiner
14ers: 58  8 
13ers: 138
Trip Reports (40)

Post by justiner »

CaptainSuburbia wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 11:22 am You can avoid the hourglass by going around it on the west ridge. It's less steep, mostly class 3 and there are no rock projectiles raining down on you. I've only done the hourglass in snow so I can't compare the 2 routes, but staying on the west ridge seems like a much better option.
Here's my trip report for that route.
https://www.14ers.com/php14ers/triprepo ... m=tripmine
West Ridge route looks really fun - how far down the ridge do you think one could start? Seems as if you could begin before the usual notch that gives you access to the Hourglass I suppose.