Colorado Springs Info

Items that do not fit the categories above.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
greenonion
14ers: 50  1 
13ers: 2
Trip Reports (0)

Colorado Springs Info

Post by greenonion »

Hey Folks,
This is not a mountaineering topic, so please have patience. (But it is Colorado related, and I do intend to hike Pikes this summer while in the Springs area. :-D )

I'm looking for recommendations on good areas of CO Springs to look for a short term summer rental. We have a college kid (young adult!) who will be doing an internship this summer for about 12 weeks in the southwest CO Springs area. Would like to talk with someone about the Springs in general, including good areas to look for temporary housing and any areas to avoid. This is not a request for anyone to open their doors for us, just a request for general information.

Wondering if anyone who lives in, or has good knowledge of the CO Springs area would PM me to discuss some things. Please let's not bog down the forum with responses and discussion here, although I might bump later if this sinks like a rock too fast.

I'm happy with either a direct PM or email/phone, and I'll be very appreciative of anyone's time and help.

Thanks in advance!
Stu

Bill - Totally understand if you would rather remove this from the forum.
d_baker
14ers: 58  15 
13ers: 348 11
Trip Reports (59)

Re: Colorado Springs Info

Post by d_baker »

How long will you be here?
I would look for W side places, like W of I-25, S of Garden of Gods rd, and N of Cimarron/Hwy 24.
Great access to most local trails from that area, generally nice area (aside from homeless camps), and quick to head W on 24 to get to the mountains (eg, Sawatch, Tenmile-Mosquito) or go S on 115 to Sangres.
Rockrimmon area is also decent for all the above.
greenonion
14ers: 50  1 
13ers: 2
Trip Reports (0)

Post by greenonion »

d_baker wrote: Sat Feb 20, 2021 12:55 pm How long will you be here?
I would look for W side places, like W of I-25, S of Garden of Gods rd, and N of Cimarron/Hwy 24.
Great access to most local trails from that area, generally nice area (aside from homeless camps), and quick to head W on 24 to get to the mountains (eg, Sawatch, Tenmile-Mosquito) or go S on 115 to Sangres.
Approx 12 weeks. Not me, our college aged kid. Thanks for the tips!
EatinHardtack
14ers: 42  20  3 
13ers: 79 32 2
Trip Reports (8)

Post by EatinHardtack »

Where’s the internship? Broadmoor?

Might be able to find something in Wildridge Apts. That’s what we used for our interns for 3-6 months. Also recommend anything west of i25, although there may be more options now on the east side. Plenty of stuff if you shop around Craigslist or even Facebook as people rent out apartments in a section of their homes.
"In our youths our hearts were touched with fire" - Oliver Wendell Holmes
d_baker
Trip Reports (59)

Post by d_baker »

What is the interests and hobbies of your son?
If it's not hiking and mountains, then the W side may not be as important for the easy access for those activities but instead maybe close/convenient for internship.
aholle88
14ers: 57  24  26 
13ers: 300 29 3
Trip Reports (1)

Post by aholle88 »

An extended stay hotel could be an option but might be pricy. We did this when my buddy and I did an internship in Boise for 8 weeks.

Darin already mentioned most of the good areas of town: skyway/bear creek, Cheyenne mtn/broadmor, rockrimmon (not really SW but wouldn’t be far). Not sure if Pleasant valley was mentioned but that and Quail lake area are other good spots to look. CC is north of downtown and might be good to look at since he’s college age. Actually, since it’ll be summer, CC could have some sort of summer housing. On another internship , I was able to stay at Brooklyn College dorms on a summer lease. Might be worth checking into!
d_baker
Trip Reports (59)

Post by d_baker »

Extended stays generally run $100 night, give or take.
We use them for work when on short-term projects.
9patrickmurphy
14ers: 50  1  2 
13ers: 320 24 2
Trip Reports (1)

Post by 9patrickmurphy »

Airbnb is worth checking out. They have pretty good discounts once you stay for over a month, probably more discounts the longer you stay.
aholle88
14ers: 57  24  26 
13ers: 300 29 3
Trip Reports (1)

Post by aholle88 »

d_baker wrote: Sat Feb 20, 2021 5:57 pm Extended stays generally run $100 night, give or take.
We use them for work when on short-term projects.
Things have gone up a little since we did that I guess! I faintly remember my half being about 2 grand or 2500 for 8 weeks in Boise. It was a Castlewood iirc. But yeah, having a roommate was key for that cost!
Dakota
14ers: 25 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Dakota »

I agree with this. Just avoid South East Springs ( Security, Widefield, Fountain) if you can, it's the worst for crime.
If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts.
-Albert Einstein
susanjoypaul
14ers: 58  2 
13ers: 88 6
Trip Reports (2)

Post by susanjoypaul »

Darin's suggestions are spot on. I live in this general area - north of Garden of the Gods and south of Rockrimmon (though some areas south of GoG are nice too, like Pleasant Valley and the Broadmoor area) - and the prices are decent, crime rate's low, and you're close to GoG, Red Rock Canyon Open Space, and Ute Valley Park for hiking and climbing, but also close to 24 and I-25 to get out of town fast. Definitely check Airbnb. Lots of nice homes in the area that rent out private bedrooms and bathrooms with shared kitchens and laundry. You give up a little privacy but you get a much better deal.

My best advice is to live on whatever side of I-25 he's going to be working, because the east to west corridors get busy and add time to the commute. Traveling north to south is easy and you can always jump on I-25, which runs straight through town.
Jesse M
13ers: 15
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Jesse M »

Dakota wrote: Sat Feb 20, 2021 11:36 pm
I agree with this. Just avoid South East Springs ( Security, Widefield, Fountain) if you can, it's the worst for crime.
:-k, Widefield and Security is not the worst place for crime in Colo Springs and to claim that is false, Dakota you spread lies. In fact, it would appear you have instead agreed with a suggestion for an area with some of the highest crime rates in the City. :wft:
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.neighb ... /crime.amp
"Facts dont care about your feelings"...B.S.
"If you don't stand for something, you'll fall for anything."