Anyone following the winter action on K2?

Items that do not fit the categories above.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
jbchalk
14ers: 58 
Trip Reports (54)

Re: Anyone following the winter action on K2?

Post by jbchalk »

HikerGuy wrote: Sun Jan 03, 2021 11:48 pm I can't think of a more two more perfectly paired self-promoting douchebags.
Couldn't have said this better. Just when I think I have seem to erased Dr. Jon from my memory, his name pops up like a reoccurring bad dream yet again. I feel bad for K2 having these two clowns grace its flanks. What a disgrace. I really hope these deadweights fall by the wayside and the truly bada$#, legendary sherpa and/or nepalese are able to be the 1st to summit K2 in winter.
timewarp01
14ers: 55  10 
13ers: 45 2
Trip Reports (5)

Post by timewarp01 »

I've enjoyed watching this forum unanimously rag on Dr. K for some time now, but this is the first I'm hearing of O'Brady. Anyone who's unfamiliar like I was should check out this article about his absurd claim to fame. There's something deeply wrong about resorting to spurious technicalities and logistical shortcuts when you're following in the footsteps of giants like Shackleton, Messner, Ousland, etc. I don't understand how these people can live with themselves.
SkaredShtles
Trip Reports (0)

Post by SkaredShtles »

timewarp01 wrote: Mon Jan 04, 2021 7:34 pm <snip> I don't understand how these people can live with themselves.
I believe the $$ helps. :mrgreen:
timisimaginary
14ers: 3 
13ers: 1
Trip Reports (2)

Post by timisimaginary »

pvnisher wrote: Mon Jan 04, 2021 5:16 pm
timisimaginary wrote: Mon Jan 04, 2021 1:05 pm
HikerGuy wrote: Sun Jan 03, 2021 11:48 pm But of course, Dr. Jon is there. Can't wait to hear all about his "summit" of K2. He's partnered with Colin O'Brady, I can't think of a more two more perfectly paired self-promoting douchebags.
he'll "climb" it the same way he "climbed" Everest without oxygen... he'll go partway up, fail to summit, then spend the next two years giving countless interviews and paid speeches about how he "climbed" K2 in winter, while carefully avoiding the word "summitted" and never making any mention of the fact he never got near the top.
I thought you guys were joking about him being there. F, he really is!

We're truly blessed to live in times such as these when gods walk amongst us.
fortunately for us, he's keeping a video blog of his expedition. here's a clip (i have to say, his climbing technique is impeccable):

"The decay and disintegration of this culture is astonishingly amusing if you're emotionally detached from it." - George Carlin
Chicago Transplant
14ers: 58  12  24 
13ers: 697 39 34
Trip Reports (66)

Post by Chicago Transplant »

timewarp01 wrote: Mon Jan 04, 2021 7:34 pm I've enjoyed watching this forum unanimously rag on Dr. K for some time now, but this is the first I'm hearing of O'Brady. Anyone who's unfamiliar like I was should check out this article about his absurd claim to fame. There's something deeply wrong about resorting to spurious technicalities and logistical shortcuts when you're following in the footsteps of giants like Shackleton, Messner, Ousland, etc. I don't understand how these people can live with themselves.
I honestly think they don't care about the ethics, unlike Viestur's book title, they do believe in shortcuts to the top and just want the recognition/money without the work.

Reminds me of Rainier Wolfcastle explaining his new movie "McBain: Let's Get Silly" to Jay Sherman on The Simpsons...
RW: Its just me standing in front of a brick wall for an hour and a half, it cost 80 million dollars
JS: How do you sleep at night?
RW: On top of a pile of money with many beautiful ladies
"We want the unpopular challenge. We want to test our intellect!" - Snapcase
"You are not what you own" - Fugazi
"Life's a mountain not a beach" - Fortune Cookie I got at lunch the other day
two lunches
14ers: 37  2 
13ers: 59
Trip Reports (0)

Post by two lunches »

timisimaginary wrote: Tue Jan 05, 2021 9:09 am
fortunately for us, he's keeping a video blog of his expedition. here's a clip (i have to say, his climbing technique is impeccable):

i’m dying :lol:

but to be perfectly honest i always took dr jon to be more the bill paxton-type
“To walk in nature is to witness a thousand miracles.” – Mary Davis
speth
14ers: 58  5 
13ers: 44
Trip Reports (3)

Post by speth »

timewarp01 wrote: Mon Jan 04, 2021 7:34 pm ...first I'm hearing of O'Brady. Anyone who's unfamiliar like I was should check out this article about his absurd claim to fame.
I should be surprised, but I'm not - great read. In good company with that duo for sure.

All I want is to just have fun, live my life like a son of a gun
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Sarcasm or not, it's not even funny to post something like this. Not at this time. Reported.
rijaca
14ers: 58  4 
13ers: 244 1 2
Trip Reports (1)

Post by rijaca »

Interesting in that I'm currently reading Ghosts of K2, The Race for the Summit of the World's Most Deadly Mountain.

History seems to have a way of repeating itself, even in mountain climbing.
"A couple more shots of whiskey,
the women 'round here start looking good"
justiner
14ers: 58  8 
13ers: 138
Trip Reports (40)

Post by justiner »

I wish all teams safety.

And that no business cards are left on the summit.
timisimaginary
Trip Reports (2)

Post by timisimaginary »

stephakett wrote: Tue Jan 05, 2021 9:55 am
timisimaginary wrote: Tue Jan 05, 2021 9:09 am

i’m dying :lol:

but to be perfectly honest i always took dr jon to be more the bill paxton-type
he's probably more the bill paxton type, but in his mind he's the jumping-across-a-crevasse-with-ice-axes type.
"The decay and disintegration of this culture is astonishingly amusing if you're emotionally detached from it." - George Carlin
BillMiddlebrook
Site Administrator
14ers: 58  46  19 
13ers: 172 44 37
Trip Reports (2)

Post by BillMiddlebrook »

That reminds me, I need to register this domain before it’s taken:

iskiedK2.com

EDIT: And this one:

K2skirecord.com
"When I go out, I become more alive. I just love skiing. The gravitational pull. When you ski steep terrain... you can almost get a feeling of flying." -Doug Coombs
timisimaginary
Trip Reports (2)

Post by timisimaginary »

don't forget K2rocktoss.com