2021 Goals

Items that do not fit the categories above.
Forum rules
Please do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website. For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Post Reply
ker0uac
Posts: 511
Joined: 8/30/2016
14ers: List not added

Re: 2021 Goals

Post by ker0uac » Fri Feb 12, 2021 3:15 pm

I don't get what is wrong with that goal... leading and following require very different skills that can progress at different paces although they shouldn't... an easy example would be those coming from sport climbing/bouldering, but it can also be the case if you mostly climb at crags where you can hike to the top to setup anchors or mostly climb single-pitch routes. I can barely lead 5.6, but I might be able to lead ~5.8 routes that I have followed a few times because I'll know exactly where to put hardware.
Those who travel to mountain-tops are half in love with themselves and half in love with oblivion
User avatar
Scott P
Posts: 8317
Joined: 5/4/2005
14ers: 51 16
13ers: 41 13
Trip Reports (16)
Contact:

Re: 2021 Goals

Post by Scott P » Fri Feb 12, 2021 3:23 pm

FireOnTheMountain wrote:
Fri Feb 12, 2021 10:01 am
Are you saying your son is preventing you from climbing 5.13? :wft:
No, and I have never climbed 5.13. I never will. I climbed one (and only one) 5.11 several years ago (The Cobra at Fisher Towers). My son is a lot better climber than I am (though he's out of commission for a while due to a 20' whipper he took on Monday). That has nothing to do with my post.
I understand we can all set our own goals but climbing 5.13 and wanting to lead 5.8 makes absolutely 0 sense
It doesn't have to make sense to you. It's his goal.

Anyone can set their own goals and they don't owe any type of explanation to anyone else.

A lot of goals make zero sense. Are you going to beat someone up about it if they can lead 5.13, but still want to do Mt Elbert?
I'm slow and fat. Unfortunately, those are my good qualities.
User avatar
Monster5
Posts: 1670
Joined: 8/7/2009
14ers: 58 30
13ers: 284 51
Trip Reports (27)
Contact:

Re: 2021 Goals

Post by Monster5 » Fri Feb 12, 2021 4:26 pm

In summary, to which all knowledgable parties might agree*, Abe is a jerk for hating on someone else's goal, and said goal is "Epstein killed himself" level of ridiculousness.

*obviously does not include the party that uses a 5.6 to 5.8 comparison to justify a 5.8 to 5.13 comparison.
"The road to alpine climbing is pocked and poorly marked, ending at an unexpectedly closed gate 5 miles from the trailhead." - MP user Beckerich
User avatar
FireOnTheMountain
Posts: 1088
Joined: 2/28/2011
14ers: 53 1 23
13ers: 268 39
Trip Reports (23)

Re: 2021 Goals

Post by FireOnTheMountain » Sun Feb 14, 2021 6:04 am

^^^This.
Scott P wrote:
Fri Feb 12, 2021 3:23 pm
A lot of goals make zero sense. Are you going to beat someone up about it if they can lead 5.13, but still want to do Mt Elbert?
No, but I dont get how you don't get the hilarity in this goal seeing how you've gotten on the sharp end of harder things. Since you all didn't seem to pick up on the running analogy mentioned earlier, I'll give another one...homeboy here is trying to solve nonlinear partial differential equations but can't do grade school addition/subtraction.

Maybe he meant he wants to go boulder V8/V9 (the approx. equivalent to 5.13) cause the likelihood of someone top rope hero'ing so much to the point they were were sending 5.13 on TR and couldn't clip 5.8 bolts is nill. But go ahead, you guys can keep entertaining yourself that its a sensible goal and provide us more odd similarities to back your point.
Everyday is a G r A t E f U L Day here in the ID...?
User avatar
justiner
Posts: 3455
Joined: 8/28/2010
14ers: 58 4
13ers: 138
Trip Reports (26)
Contact:

Re: 2021 Goals

Post by justiner » Sun Feb 14, 2021 11:34 am

Eh, maybe lead is really hard for the individual. I overhear many a story from V12+ boulderers at the gym of their first flatiron scramble and how scaaaaaaaaaared they were. Heck, I can climb V8 and I've passed on taking 5.7 trad leads. I turn the other way merely passing by the road to Eldo, :lol:
User avatar
mtnkub
Posts: 308
Joined: 8/7/2009
14ers: 58 1
13ers: 78 2 2
Trip Reports (5)

Re: 2021 Goals

Post by mtnkub » Sun Feb 14, 2021 12:23 pm

Yeah, and i think FOTM even acknowledged somewhere that the 5.8 might make sense if it was trad, not sport.
(Which could have been the end of the argument, as the goal poster didn't specifically state sport lead?)
User avatar
FireOnTheMountain
Posts: 1088
Joined: 2/28/2011
14ers: 53 1 23
13ers: 268 39
Trip Reports (23)

Re: 2021 Goals

Post by FireOnTheMountain » Sun Feb 14, 2021 3:24 pm

Allow me to provide 1 more summary:
  • Some people boulder hard but dont rope climb....aka they dont need leading and/or rope skills cause they either prefer bouldering or are scared of risks present in wall climbing that are not present on shorter boulders. This is why I said perhaps Mr. Skis means he wants to boulder “5.13”, or v8/9 whatever.
  • Some people lead sport but don’t lead easy trad….aka they either prefer sport or never wanted to learn trad (often times crack) climbing. E face of flattys fall into this category due to their slabby wonderfulness/streches of gear lackage. This reason is why I said Mr. Skis perhaps means he wants to lead 5.8 trad.
  • I brought up the age of plasticers cause their perception of the climbing is pretty fairyland for the most part. Walls are outside and made of rocks is the sole reason why. No elitism, just a fact of the matter.
So, if we assume he didn’t mean trad climbing or anything indoors….NO ONE sets a goal to top rope 5.13 and also lead 5.8 sport. It just doesn't make sense with the activity that is sport climbing, no matter how dumb goals may be. I mean unless he talking 1 very specific climb with 1 very specific 13 move just to say he climbed 5.13 otherwise no effing way he getting up anything more than that.

Wrapping it all back to this site….mountaineering has grades too. Walk ups to mixed, nails ice. Is Skis gonna do Torreys then go for K2 unguided, no Os? Or a proud mixed line in the Alps?

People find their niche and for some it’s every discipline. A lot of the parameters and choices people make when it comes to “climbing” are based on that person’s personality/thinking with regards to risk, drive etc etc but I’m gonna stop now before providing any more opportunity on tangents related to climbing. Of which, there are infinite because it’s an activity founded on style and subjectivity is therefore inherent.
Everyday is a G r A t E f U L Day here in the ID...?
User avatar
mtnkub
Posts: 308
Joined: 8/7/2009
14ers: 58 1
13ers: 78 2 2
Trip Reports (5)

Re: 2021 Goals

Post by mtnkub » Sun Feb 14, 2021 6:35 pm

FireOnTheMountain wrote:
Sun Feb 14, 2021 3:24 pm
if we assume he didn’t mean trad climbing
Yeah, but I say let's assume that he did meant that. Maybe that will bring the universe back in order and all will be good for 2021.
User avatar
CaptCO
Posts: 1769
Joined: 7/14/2019
14ers: 58 14
13ers: 45 1
Trip Reports (5)
Contact:

Re: 2021 Goals

Post by CaptCO » Sun Feb 14, 2021 6:36 pm

I don’t know if I smell ego or testosterone more in this thread... I understood the OP lmfao, we aren’t all Alex Honnold man
"It's a thing if you want it to be a thing. What others think of something is irrelevant." -OldSchool

Proof is in the progress, patience is essence; I’m crazy as a fox

"The future no longer belongs to my generation"

DM @Capt_Alec for nudes
User avatar
FireOnTheMountain
Posts: 1088
Joined: 2/28/2011
14ers: 53 1 23
13ers: 268 39
Trip Reports (23)

Re: 2021 Goals

Post by FireOnTheMountain » Sun Feb 14, 2021 6:41 pm

mtnkub wrote:
Sun Feb 14, 2021 6:35 pm
Maybe that will bring the universe back in order and all will be good for 2021.
Hope so dude.
CaptCO wrote:
Sun Feb 14, 2021 6:36 pm
I don’t know if I smell ego or testosterone more in this thread... I understood the OP lmfao, we aren’t all Alex Honnold man
You don't need to smell a damn thing. Go rock climb for a little and that will be all the understanding you need. And with that, I've now entered the a**hole/elitist realm probably.
CaptCO wrote:
Sun Feb 14, 2021 6:36 pm
I understood the OP lmfao, we aren’t all Alex Honnold man
And what understanding is that if I may inquire?
Last edited by FireOnTheMountain on Sun Feb 14, 2021 6:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Everyday is a G r A t E f U L Day here in the ID...?
ker0uac
Posts: 511
Joined: 8/30/2016
14ers: List not added

Re: 2021 Goals

Post by ker0uac » Sun Feb 14, 2021 6:43 pm

I am enjoying the analogies... let keep em coming! I got one - It's like usain bolt setting a stretch goal of running the incline

Or, Tom Brady setting a goal of winning the world series?
Those who travel to mountain-tops are half in love with themselves and half in love with oblivion
User avatar
CaptCO
Posts: 1769
Joined: 7/14/2019
14ers: 58 14
13ers: 45 1
Trip Reports (5)
Contact:

Re: 2021 Goals

Post by CaptCO » Sun Feb 14, 2021 6:52 pm

FireOnTheMountain wrote:
Sun Feb 14, 2021 6:41 pm
mtnkub wrote:
Sun Feb 14, 2021 6:35 pm
Maybe that will bring the universe back in order and all will be good for 2021.
Hope so dude.
CaptCO wrote:
Sun Feb 14, 2021 6:36 pm
I don’t know if I smell ego or testosterone more in this thread... I understood the OP lmfao, we aren’t all Alex Honnold man
You don't need to smell a damn thing. Go rock climb for a little and that will be all the understanding you need. And with that, I've now entered the a**hole/elitist realm probably.
CaptCO wrote:
Sun Feb 14, 2021 6:36 pm
I understood the OP lmfao, we aren’t all Alex Honnold man
And what understanding is that if I may inquire?
Attachments
82B4F42E-BC31-48C1-B5BB-A7C600643C7A.png
82B4F42E-BC31-48C1-B5BB-A7C600643C7A.png (156.61 KiB) Viewed 742 times
"It's a thing if you want it to be a thing. What others think of something is irrelevant." -OldSchool

Proof is in the progress, patience is essence; I’m crazy as a fox

"The future no longer belongs to my generation"

DM @Capt_Alec for nudes
Post Reply