Six degrees of separation - climbing partner edition

Items that do not fit the categories above.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Yikes
14ers: 58  58 
13ers: 112 15
Trip Reports (29)

Re: Six degrees of separation - climbing partner edition

Post by Yikes »

I've met Chuck Norris
MV5BNThiOTBhZmItM2UwYy00YTAzLTlhNjEtYjMzNDMxNzY2MTQ3XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMDEwMjgxNg@@._V1_.jpg
MV5BNThiOTBhZmItM2UwYy00YTAzLTlhNjEtYjMzNDMxNzY2MTQ3XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMDEwMjgxNg@@._V1_.jpg (158.93 KiB) Viewed 2789 times
mtnkub
14ers: 58  1  7 
13ers: 116 4 4
Trip Reports (5)

Post by mtnkub »

This year's triumph and tragedy on K2 reminded me that i have a couple of connections to Lou Reichardt. Not that i'd expect him to remember me.
And then of course, i had the great pleasure and privilege to fortuitously share the SW ridge and summit of Mt Sneffels for my 14er finisher with Kiefer Thomas and Nona and Alise Gladbach.

So, who am i not connected with by six degrees of separation?
rleclair
14ers: 58 
13ers: 186
Trip Reports (0)

Post by rleclair »

I've had the honor of hiking/climbing many of the CO 14ers, Mt. Rainer, Pico de Orizaba and a few Ecuadorian volcanoes as well as learning some mountain skills from Alan Arnette over the years. Jim Davidson, along with others (Chris Tomer) and I, have climbed a few peaks together in the CO high country. I met Erik Weihenmayer and his friend Timmy once at Earthtreks in Golden a few years ago. Fun thread!
"Thousands of tired, nerve-shaken, over-civilized people are beginning to find out that going to the mountains is going home; that wilderness is a necessity; and that mountain parks and reservations are useful not only as fountains of timber and irrigating rivers, but as fountains of life..."
John Muir
ChristopherBird1976
Trip Reports (0)

Post by ChristopherBird1976 »

Hey there! Why were you banned for bringing up covid?
- Chris :)
Bale
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Bale »

Fun thread. Mine are just bump-intos, haven’t had the pleasure of climbing with them.
Ran into Dick Dorworth at the base of a climb in City of Rocks.
Saw Jim Donini at GT climbers ranch.
A couple years ago I was working at Needles Outpost by Canyonlands and Steve House walked in to get an ice cream for his kid. He had been climbing in the Creek.
My wife recently met a new friend while hiking in Moab. Turns out she is the ex of Jonathan Waterman of Denali fame.
My favorite was Conrad Anker lending me ice tools in the basement of Barrel Mountaineering for the Bozeman Ice Fest. It was like Michael Jordan explaining the nuances of basketball shoes.
The earth, like the sun, like the air, belongs to everyone - and to no one. - Edward Abbey
Bale
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Bale »

This might be straying further from the OPs intent, but here’s a good one. We were backcountry skiing in the Wasatch and saw a random dude at a transition to whom my buddy said, “hey, don’t you have a city to run?!” It took me a while to realize it was Ralph Becker, then mayor of SLC.
The earth, like the sun, like the air, belongs to everyone - and to no one. - Edward Abbey
jaymz
Trip Reports (1)

Post by jaymz »

Bale wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 11:39 pm.
My favorite was Conrad Anker lending me ice tools in the basement of Barrel Mountaineering for the Bozeman Ice Fest. It was like Michael Jordan explaining the nuances of basketball shoes.
That's really cool! I met him after a talk he gave at Neptune a few years back, just a "stand in line, shake his hand, snap a pic, get an autograph" kind of thing. Even though it was just a brief exchange, he seemed like a genuinely nice dude.
"But in every walk with Nature, one receives far more than he seeks."
John Muir
AnnaG22
14ers: 58  7  20 
13ers: 124 3 6
Trip Reports (5)

Post by AnnaG22 »

Not climbing partners, just encounters: my number 1 is that in my ski bum days, I sold Neil Beidleman a pair of nordic skis. I've never been so starstruck.

But then this is what some of my high school classmates do:

https://www.skimag.com/videos/beans-and ... oon-bells/

https://warrenmiller.com/athletes/baker-boyd
"The love of wilderness is more than a hunger for what is always beyond reach; it is also an expression of loyalty to the earth, the earth which bore us and sustains us, the only home we shall ever know, the only paradise we ever need – if only we had the eyes to see." -Ed Abbey

"I get scared sometimes—lots of times—but it's not bad. You know? I feel close to myself. When I'm out there at night, I feel close to my own body, I can feel my blood moving, my skin and my fingernails, everything, it's like I'm full of electricity and I'm glowing in the dark—I'm on fire almost—I'm burning away into nothing—but it doesn't matter because I know exactly who I am." from The Things They Carried