Six degrees of separation - climbing partner edition

Items that do not fit the categories above.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
John Prater
14ers: 58  58 
13ers: 343 2
Trip Reports (0)

Six degrees of separation - climbing partner edition

Post by John Prater »

The six degrees of separation idea has crossed my mind on a few occasions related to climbing/hiking/peakbagging/adventuring partners. Hoping others might share some fun connections. Here's a few from me to get started:

I've climbed with Gerry Roach (woo-hoo!).

I've climbed with Kiefer Thomas who climbed with Brad McQueen (I did cross paths with Brad in Frenchman Creek a couple of winters ago - might've been Brad's recent TR that reminded me of this idea).

I've climbed with Bill Wright who climbed with Alex Honnold who climbed with Ueli Steck (just using that Alex guy to get to Ueli, you know - I did meet Alex at Bill's that one time, and Bill and I shared the summit of the Schreckhorn with Ueli and his wife).

I've climbed with Bill W who climbed with Conrad Anker who climbed with Alex Lowe (I could probably work through Bill's connections for a while).

I've climbed with Bill W who climbed with OldTrad (see!).

I've climbed with George Bell Jr. who climbed with George I. Bell who climbed with Fred Beckey (which, I understand, connects me to every other climber ever).
Eli Boardman
14ers: 58  1  15 
13ers: 18 1
Trip Reports (16)

Re: Six degrees of separation - climbing partner edition

Post by Eli Boardman »

I've climbed with* Nirmal Purja (Nims) and Mingma David Sherpa, who made some headlines recently for their 8000m ascents. Nims was the first to climb all 14 8000ers in one year, and I met him the winter before he started that project.

*I met them both on Aconcagua; they were guiding their own team, and we were independent, so not exactly "climbing partners." However, we frequently camped next to each other, hiked sections nearby each other, etc. Not sure if this technically counts...

I've climbed with Max Manson, who's climbed with most of the famous Boulder climbers (pick one).
Scott P
14ers: 58  16 
13ers: 50 13
Trip Reports (16)

Post by Scott P »

I backpacked with Steve Allen who climbed with Eric Bjornstad who seems to have climbed with all of the most famous American mountaineers of the time period.

https://publications.americanalpineclub ... d-19342014

Outside the US, the most famous mountaineer I have climbed with (or perhaps more accurately invited to dinner and games when at camps on the mountain) was Alex Abrabov. He's probably the most famous climber in Russia and one of the most famous Himalayan climbers.

I have been to Messner's home, but decided not to knock on the door. Maybe I should have. Or maybe I shouldn't have. I don't know. It would have been cool to meet him.
Last edited by Scott P on Thu Nov 19, 2020 10:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I'm old, slow and fat. Unfortunately, those are my good qualities.
Monster5
14ers: 58  31 
13ers: 290 37
Trip Reports (27)

Post by Monster5 »

Ha! Nice, John.

Climbing with Bill Wright places someone within 3 degrees from any recognizable climber. He's even climbed with Danny Gilbert! So I'll go with Bill too.
"The road to alpine climbing is pocked and poorly marked, ending at an unexpectedly closed gate 5 miles from the trailhead." - MP user Beckerich
AnnaG22
14ers: 58  7  20 
13ers: 124 3 6
Trip Reports (5)

Post by AnnaG22 »

Not climbed, but I sold Neil Beidleman a pair of cross-country skis several years back, shortly after I read Into Thin Air.
"The love of wilderness is more than a hunger for what is always beyond reach; it is also an expression of loyalty to the earth, the earth which bore us and sustains us, the only home we shall ever know, the only paradise we ever need – if only we had the eyes to see." -Ed Abbey

"I get scared sometimes—lots of times—but it's not bad. You know? I feel close to myself. When I'm out there at night, I feel close to my own body, I can feel my blood moving, my skin and my fingernails, everything, it's like I'm full of electricity and I'm glowing in the dark—I'm on fire almost—I'm burning away into nothing—but it doesn't matter because I know exactly who I am." from The Things They Carried
bergsteigen
14ers: 58  52  18 
13ers: 538 100 12
Trip Reports (237)

Post by bergsteigen »

At first I thought maybe Steve Gladbach and all his connections, but then I remembered I skied Culebra with Chris Davenport and the Mahons. So I also have Neil Beidleman, along with a bunch of ski mountaineers.
"Auto racing, bull fighting, and mountain climbing are the only real sports ... all others are games." - Ernest Hemingway (or was it Barnaby Conrad?)
Your knees only get so many bumps in life, don't waste them on moguls!
“No athlete is truly tested until they’ve stared an injury in the face and come out on the other side stronger than ever” -anonymous

http://otinasadventures.com @otina
bmcqueen
14ers: 58  52 
13ers: 356 15
Trip Reports (24)

Post by bmcqueen »

I bumped into Alan Arnette on Crestone Peak’s summit, then our groups did the traverse fairly close together and chatted again atop the Needle. That opens up a good chunk of the 8,000 meter folks. I’ve also had coffee with Jim Davidson as we worked on having him come give one of his great Resilience keynotes to my company.

And I had lunch with Boggy, Kylie, Jomah and Monster after they dry tooled a bit the day after their winter Dallas climb - that was cool.
"Good judgment comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgment." --- Nasreddin

https://listsofjohn.com/PeakStats/Conte ... queen&t=14
Teresa Gergen
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Teresa Gergen »

Well, I've climbed with John Prater, so - there you go.

And thank you, John.
desertdog
14ers: 58  6 
13ers: 273 4
Trip Reports (1)

Post by desertdog »

I have met on different mountains Vern Tejas, Russel Brice, Peter Whitaker, and Kenton Cool (actually played cards with him at base camp, he won.)
The summit is a source of power. The long view gives one knowledge and time to prepare. The summit, by virtue of the dizzying exposure, leaves one vulnerable. A bit of confidence and a dash of humility is all we get for our work. Yet to share these moments with friends is to be human. C. Anker
Dave B
Trip Reports (9)

Post by Dave B »

I got drunk as f*ck with Simon Yates.
Make wilderness less accessible.
GregMiller
14ers: 37  4  1 
13ers: 30
Trip Reports (5)

Post by GregMiller »

Got to belay Conrad Anker at Ouray Ice Fest once. Pretty sure Dave wins, though.
Still Here
been scared and battered. My hopes the wind done scattered. Snow has friz me, Sun has baked me,
Looks like between 'em they done Tried to make me
Stop laughin', stop lovin', stop livin'-- But I don't care! I'm still here!
Langston Hughes
oldschool
14ers: 58  6 
13ers: 2
Trip Reports (23)

Post by oldschool »

In the middle 90's I was climbing at Lover's Leap in the S Lake Tahoe area with Paul, my climbing partner of 23+ years. We were on a moderate route called East Wall..a 3 pitch 5.6 or 5.7 I think.

We had reached the belay at the top of the second pitch when we noticed a free solo climber poke his head out at the top of the 1st pitch. We had not noticed him as we ascended the first or 2nd pitch. As Paul and I hung out for just a bit on the top pf the 2nd pitch belay, we glanced down at the climber. I noticed the climber was moving a bit slow, seemed to be confused or uncertain as where to go next, but what struck me most was the webbing this climber had around his waist. It was old school 3" wide ass webbing, the stuff of days gone by...and bright red. Seemed odd to me. Paul and I decided to hang even longer at the 2nd belay to see how things went down below us. The climber below us started off the top of the 1st pitch and wandered a bit, backtracked, started off again and stopped. He was looking around and noticed us above him. The 2nd pitch of East Wall is a wandering, face climb with not much pro and an unobvious line. The climber called up to us and asked us for directions to the 2nd belay. We told him the route and he set off. He climbed well and was making good progress. As he got closer we noticed he was "older"..what ever the hell that means.....looking to be in his 60's maybe. At this time I was in my 30's. When the climber got about 10 or so feet below us I looked at Paul and looked at the climber and looked at Paul again. Really? No way! The climber got up to our belay and we offered him space on the large and comfy belay ledge (more like a belay family room...nice and large) We offered him a tie-off, which he declined and kind of settled in on the belay ledge. He was gracious and thankful for our help in guiding him the right way up the face of the 2nd pitch. He mentioned top us he had climbed this route many many times but just kind of got lost this time up.

After a minute or two I looked at Paul then the climber and asked him if he was Royal Robbins. He said yes, as I knew he was. I recognized him as he was approaching us. Goose bumps!

Paul, Royal, and I spent the next hour on that belay ledge, chatting about this and that. Kind and gracious, a legend to be sure. The conversation was not hero worship but the kind you have with a friend...someone you know or have known for years. The talk was easy and personal, it was varied and elegant. Finally the time came to cast off the top of the 2nd pitch. We offered him a belay up to the top of the last pitch...he declined. We went off first with Royal behind us.

All was well on Planet Earth that day.

Mike
"There's a feeling I get when I look to the West and my spirit is crying for leaving" Led Zeppelin