offtopic - movies

Items that do not fit the categories above.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
timisimaginary
14ers: 3 
13ers: 1
Trip Reports (2)

Re: offtopic - movies

Post by timisimaginary »

Gandalf69 wrote: Sun Nov 22, 2020 7:08 pm Biggest movie question, better joker, heath ledger's joker or jack nicolson joker.
no jared leto love?
"The decay and disintegration of this culture is astonishingly amusing if you're emotionally detached from it." - George Carlin
greenonion
14ers: 50  1 
13ers: 2
Trip Reports (0)

Post by greenonion »

nyker wrote: Sun Nov 22, 2020 9:10 pm Movie talk, and no mention of these??

Jaws, a classic. "You're gonna need a bigger boat"

The Godfather: "I made him an offer he couldn't refuse"

Rocky: "Adriannnnnnn"
For sure on all 3. Especially the Godfather. Probably the best sequel that ever was - Godfather Part 2, as good as the original.
greenonion
Trip Reports (0)

Post by greenonion »

timisimaginary wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 9:39 am
Gandalf69 wrote: Sun Nov 22, 2020 7:08 pm Biggest movie question, better joker, heath ledger's joker or jack nicolson joker.
no jared leto love?
Joaquin Phoenix
greenonion
Trip Reports (0)

Post by greenonion »

Lioness wrote: Sun Nov 22, 2020 8:46 pm
Eli Boardman wrote: Sat Nov 14, 2020 1:14 am It's awesome to see Koyaanisqatsi mentioned in the first post. I'll add Samsara and Baraka, which are basically modern takes on the same idea (and simply stunning visually from 70mm film scanned into 8k...)

Solaris - the original Soviet version, while really long and pretty weird, is a wild exploration of consciousness and humanity (and solipsism?).

The Thin Red Line - a bit more mainstream, but Terrence Malick is just an amazing thinker and director.
If you could bring anyone from any time before 1960 to now and asked if they would want to go back to live out there lives or stay in this time; they would stay.

The past sucked.
Keith Richards might have a different opinion. :-D
Old Hickory
14ers: 18 
13ers: 9
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Old Hickory »

cedica wrote: Sun Nov 22, 2020 9:01 pm
Gandalf69 wrote: Sun Nov 22, 2020 7:08 pm That being said I'm sure bane could whoop both their asses in a hot minute...any batman villain thoughts 14ers.com?
Correct, Tom Hardy underneath the mask is better villain than all others combined.
Moreover, Tom Hardy driving the car and speaking on the phone for 90 minutes results in better movie than any Batman epic so far (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Locke_(film)).
Also, "never go full retard" doesn't apply to Tom Hardy (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stuart:_A_Life_Backwards). Tom Hardy is foolhardy.
Thanks for the plug for "Locke"! I have tried, but failed, to convince people that a movie about a guy driving and talking on the phone for 90 minutes could possibly be as suspenseful and interesting as it is. The script is very good -- but Hardy's acting makes it work.
Eli Watson
14ers: 58  17 
13ers: 76
Trip Reports (2)

Post by Eli Watson »

Tornadoman wrote: Wed Nov 18, 2020 3:53 pm
Eli Watson wrote: Sat Nov 14, 2020 11:26 am Dr. Strangelove or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb (1964) - Stanley Kubrick. A must-watch (#66 on IMDB's top 100, but I would feel remiss not to mention it).
I watched Dr. Strangelove during High School and I did not like it/basically slept through it. I suppose that I should give that one another try.
I was a senior in high school when I first saw Strangelove as a fun end-of-year day in my 20th Century Americas history nerd class. I was able to enjoy the overall message of it and the mocking commentary of the Cold War's mutual assured destruction doctrine, but I don't think I fully appreciated the film's snide representation of the administration until I re-watched it again as an adult. The strength of the film is in Kubrick's ability to concoct this delightfully horrible recipe for disaster, in many cases based upon elements of real Cold War military policies in both the United States and the Soviet Union. The obsession with procedure permeating the entire film ultimately is responsible for the major conflict.

I personally really enjoy when a film can put that pit in the bottom of my stomach where I think "Ohhhh no, this is going to be bad. :lol: " But to be fair, satirical dark comedy is right up my alley.

A few of my favorite Easter eggs:
- The names of characters becoming increasingly sardonic as the film progresses to the point of absurdity by the end.
- In the opening shot inside the B-52 bomber, Major Kong is browsing an adult magazine. There is a rather strategic placement of the January 1963 issue of Foreign Affairs, which contained an article written by Henry Kissinger meant to expand the United States' use of nuclear weapons including a strike-first option. Some historians believed that to be an effort to 'cover America's butt' in the event of a pre-emptive strike.
- General Turgidson's binder reads "World Targets in Megadeaths", a termed coined by military strategist and physicist Herman Kahn in 1953, reflected in a conversation about acceptable casualties. Kahn was known for his cold and calculating approach to estimating 'megadeaths' and the acceptable losses of human life which the United States could sustain and still economically recover.
- After Kong lists the supplies included in the survival kit, he declares "a fella could have a pretty good weekend in Dallas with all that stuff". The audio was dubbed to say "Vegas" instead, given that JFK was just assassinated in Dallas two months prior to the film's delayed release.
People who are hardcore don't think they're hardcore. Marshall Ulrich, Fastest Known Podcast #85
cedica
Trip Reports (0)

Post by cedica »

Slow day today, hibernation and so on. OP mentioned "films that are interesting that might have been overlooked by others on this forum", there are few that creep into my mind. These are mostly independent movies from US made in the last several years, starting with recent ones.

First Cow (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/First_Cow). Very elegant approach, feminist movie with few women only scarcely appearing on the screen. Kelly Reichardt is a total babe.

Wildlife (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wildlife_(film)). Painfully slow and devastating, just like the backdrop of 1960 Montana wildfires, but Ed Oxenbould's interpretation of teenage angst is one to behold.

Green Room (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Green_Room_(film)). Movie has everything, cover of DK song, appearance of Captain Picard, just when I thought that it jumped the shark Imogen Poots kicked it into high gear. But she could've read yellow pages on camera and I would've been sold.
(Two bonuses from the same director, Jeremy Saulnier. Blue Ruin could be his best work so far, if you don't mind that it's thoroughly depressing. Hold the Dark is already a Netflix production with international cast that deals with dark, mythological violence in the tradition of Fincher or Cronenberg. Heavy drug of a movie, not sure that I even like it.)

Ain't Them Bodies Saints (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ain't_Them_Bodies_Saints). This is probably a classic by now, notable for chemistry between Rooney Mara and Casey Affleck. Solid actors individually, together they create pure cinematic gold.

Upstream Color (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Upstream_Color). This could easily be complete bullcrap, but I still find it fascinating to watch. One might even say that it's made in Terrence Malick's vein, but I don't believe that he would ever condone biotech aspects of it. After all, there is no common Texan approach to film making.