Jeep rolls off Black Bear Pass

Items that do not fit the categories above.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Bombay2Boulder
14ers: 56  3 
13ers: 269 1
Trip Reports (4)

Re: Jeep rolls off Black Bear Pass

Post by Bombay2Boulder »

My roommate was there when this happened. Crazy incident, he was quite shaken up when he was describing this to me.
ezabielski
14ers: 43  1 
13ers: 8
Trip Reports (0)

Post by ezabielski »

Video link if you don't like get assaulted by ads:

https://youtu.be/2R5cLghSWGQ
Tornadoman
14ers: 58  8 
13ers: 266 35
Trip Reports (12)

Post by Tornadoman »

That video is insane! I couldn't read most of the article without a subscription but it said the passenger ejected... does anyone know what happened to the driver?
Climb the mountain so you can see the world, not so the world can see you.
Mtnman200
14ers: 58  1 
13ers: 440
Trip Reports (85)

Post by Mtnman200 »

Tornadoman wrote: Wed Oct 28, 2020 8:43 am That video is insane! I couldn't read most of the article without a subscription but it said the passenger ejected... does anyone know what happened to the driver?
The driver had gotten out to help guide another driver, so he wasn’t in the Jeep when it plunged down the hillside. It sounds like he didn’t fully set the parking brake.
"Adventure without risk is not possible." - Reinhold Messner
XterraRob
14ers: 42  7 
13ers: 14
Trip Reports (4)

Post by XterraRob »

Good ol' Black Bear.
RIP - M56
Re-introduce Grizzly Bears into the Colorado Wilderness™
two lunches
14ers: 37  2 
13ers: 59
Trip Reports (0)

Post by two lunches »

Mtnman200 wrote: Wed Oct 28, 2020 8:53 am
Tornadoman wrote: Wed Oct 28, 2020 8:43 am That video is insane! I couldn't read most of the article without a subscription but it said the passenger ejected... does anyone know what happened to the driver?
The driver had gotten out to help guide another driver, so he wasn’t in the Jeep when it plunged down the hillside. It sounds like he didn’t fully set the parking brake.
Driver walked away with some minor injuries... I *think* both dogs are okay- I know they were looking for one for a while
“To walk in nature is to witness a thousand miracles.” – Mary Davis
cedica
Trip Reports (0)

Post by cedica »

druid2112
14ers: 46  6 
13ers: 32 5
Trip Reports (7)

Post by druid2112 »

It never ceases to amaze me that people nowadays feel compelled to record everything they do. Fine, I'm old. Just cracks me up when I see all the gopros and wonder who is ever going to watch your crappy footage of you skiing or.... driving. I guess now I know.

On another note, I'm glad those Russian drivers have cams in their cars or we would have missed out on a lot of great meteor footage.
"You can't really dust for vomit." - Nigel Tufnel
supranihilest
14ers: 58  42 
13ers: 709 1 8
Trip Reports (113)

Post by supranihilest »

druid2112 wrote: Wed Oct 28, 2020 10:18 am It never ceases to amaze me that people nowadays feel compelled to record everything they do. Fine, I'm old. Just cracks me up when I see all the gopros and wonder who is ever going to watch your crappy footage of you skiing or.... driving. I guess now I know.

On another note, I'm glad those Russian drivers have cams in their cars or we would have missed out on a lot of great meteor footage.
I would guess this is simply a dashcam that has the dual purpose of recording cool stuff they take their Jeep on as well as primarily to record, ironically, accidents as they happen. The latter is what most folks use dashcams for.
Last edited by supranihilest on Wed Oct 28, 2020 10:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
handonbroward
14ers: 42 
13ers: 46
Trip Reports (5)

Post by handonbroward »

Second dog was found unharmed 3 days later.

Passenger who was ejected was transported to Durango or Grand Junction for treatment with severe but non-life threatening injuries.

The driver actually tried to get back into the vehicle to stop it and was thrown during the first rotation. These folks were extremely lucky, all things considered.

Anyone have any further updates on the older couple that was severely injured earlier this year up there? May have actually been on Imogene come to think of it. Always wish that there was a more reliable / active CO 4x4 forum for this stuff. Even relatively big incidents / rescues often fly under the radar quite a bit.
"I hurt, therefore I am" - Barry Blanchard
Presto
14ers: 58  6 
13ers: 308 21
Trip Reports (6)

Post by Presto »

Prayers for a full recovery for the passenger. [-o<

Ran across this video a couple of months ago. "Trapped by Hail, Flash Floods and Landslides" on Black Bear Pass road. It starts getting intense at about the 14 minute mark (though the entire video is worth a watch).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=njLv3Q18KEU
As if none of us have ever come back with a cool, quasi-epic story instead of being victim to tragic rockfall, a fatal stumble, a heart attack, an embolism, a lightning strike, a bear attack, collapsing cornice, some psycho with an axe, a falling tree, carbon monoxide, even falling asleep at the wheel getting to a mountain. If you can't accept the fact that sometimes "s**t happens", then you live with the illusion that your epic genius and profound wilderness intelligence has put you in total and complete control of yourself, your partners, and the mountain. How mystified you'll be when "s**t happens" to you! - FM