Jeep rolls off Black Bear Pass

Items that do not fit the categories above.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
peter303
14ers: 34 
13ers: 12
Trip Reports (3)

Re: Jeep rolls off Black Bear Pass

Post by peter303 »

Presto wrote: Wed Oct 28, 2020 11:10 am Prayers for a full recovery for the passenger. [-o<

Ran across this video a couple of months ago. "Trapped by Hail, Flash Floods and Landslides" on Black Bear Pass road. It starts getting intense at about the 14 minute mark (though the entire video is worth a watch).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=njLv3Q18KEU
Speaking of ad spam: YouTube inserts a minute of commercials every five minutes, unless you pay them a ransom.

The guy driving one handed added to tension; expecting something bad to happen.
XterraRob
14ers: 42  7 
13ers: 14
Trip Reports (4)

Post by XterraRob »

Presto wrote: Wed Oct 28, 2020 11:10 am Prayers for a full recovery for the passenger. [-o<

Ran across this video a couple of months ago. "Trapped by Hail, Flash Floods and Landslides" on Black Bear Pass road. It starts getting intense at about the 14 minute mark (though the entire video is worth a watch).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=njLv3Q18KEU
Wow, luckily they got down the Steps before that came down on them.
RIP - M56
Re-introduce Grizzly Bears into the Colorado Wilderness™
mtngoatwithstyle
14ers: 19 
13ers: 73 4
Trip Reports (0)

Post by mtngoatwithstyle »

I have been following the posts about this couple on Facebook through the group called "San Juan Mountain Trail group" where I have found good info on trails in the area and conditions to help me with hiking.This was one of the latest updates from Sunday:

We’re thankful through all the crazy media coverage that Inside Edition covered the real truthful story about my brother Rich and his girlfriend Suzie’s accident on Black Bear Pass. This linked video covers the whole story, including a video of Decker and Suzie being reunited as well as an interview with Suzie’s family. 💕
✨For those asking about an update on Suzie and Decker, watch this video!✨
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CK-irft ... kZaQ27Du3c
🌟Please, if you’re able to donate, every little bit counts! I’ve pasted the Gofundme link in the comments! We also have a Venmo handle @helpingsuzieheal all proceeds going directly to her rehabilitation 🌟

The assenger, Suzie, had spinal surgery and is currently stable.Doctors are foreseeing 2 years of extensive rehab. My understanding is that she is from Colorado and an avid outdoors enthusiast!. Truly crazy what happened to them and to another person whose break failed while her car was parked and caused her to be disabled for almost 9 months... so since then, I do not trust any cars parked uphill or on steeps downhill and even in my Subaru I am careful when I park and need to go around the car...
Never,never give up!.
habaceeba
14ers: 27 
13ers: 93 1 1
Trip Reports (3)

Post by habaceeba »

This gives me the willies and brings back bad memories of just last summer when I lost my Tacoma above the Waldorf Mine on the Argentine Pass road. I stopped to take a peek at the first rock step about .2 mi. above the mine and didn't engage the E brake. After about 10 seconds I heard a 'POP' and turned around to see my Taco lurch backward as the parking pawl caught again, but it didn't hold and began zipping backwards down the road. I grabbed for the door to swing in and push the brakes, but it was already moving too fast so in desperation I pulled on the door like I was some kind of He-Man or something and it knocked me on my ass where I got to watch it zip off the downhill side of the road and do a couple of turns. I was hopeful that it would find a resting spot on the boulder strewn hillside when a back wheel hit a boulder that gave it a 1.75x roll and it ended up on it's side.

I was lucky I was on the uphill side of it when it started rolling and I was doubly-lucky I was alone without the dog or kids. It still brings tears to my eyes thinking of what might have been had this been a family outing. And we're all lucky that it was early enough in the day that there was no one else driving around these roads in the immediate area. Needless to say it's now a habit of mine to set the E brake everywhere I go.

bdloftin77
14ers: 58  1 
13ers: 58
Trip Reports (2)

Post by bdloftin77 »

Wow, glad you were okay!
pvnisher
Trip Reports (8)

Post by pvnisher »

I had my xj wind up in a neighbor's yard once, rolled down the driveway. Luckily no damage and I assumed I was just an idiot.
Next week I came out and saw it slowly rocking it's way down the driveway. Like, it would just ratchet forward and back, rolling down maybe 6 inches reach time.

Really cranking the e brake fixed it, then when I had repair done I mentioned it and never had the problem again. Was weird to see though. Like it was possessed.
handonbroward
14ers: 42 
13ers: 46
Trip Reports (5)

Post by handonbroward »

pvnisher wrote: Wed Nov 04, 2020 4:55 am I had my xj wind up in a neighbor's yard once, rolled down the driveway. Luckily no damage and I assumed I was just an idiot.
Next week I came out and saw it slowly rocking it's way down the driveway. Like, it would just ratchet forward and back, rolling down maybe 6 inches reach time.

Really cranking the e brake fixed it, then when I had repair done I mentioned it and never had the problem again. Was weird to see though. Like it was possessed.
Didn't realize my e-brake cable was completely shot and had my truck run away from me in my driveway this summer while doing some suspension & driveshaft work. Fortunately wasn't under it at the time and was laughing until I realized it was going to crash through my neighbors fence, so I did the logical and safe thing and tried to stop it by putting myself between it and the fence. It actually worked, but I felt (duh) like I had been hit by a truck for like 3 days afterwards.
"I hurt, therefore I am" - Barry Blanchard
Presto
14ers: 58  6 
13ers: 308 21
Trip Reports (6)

Post by Presto »

Okay, forgive me if I'm just ignorant, but is this happening in vehicles with an automatic transmission? When I turn my truck off (2005 Toyota Tacoma) on a hill or otherwise non-flat surface, I always put the truck into gear AND put the emergency brake on. Or is it that the vehicle is left idling and people are just depending on the parking brake? :-k (And, I understand the situation of a cable failing.)
As if none of us have ever come back with a cool, quasi-epic story instead of being victim to tragic rockfall, a fatal stumble, a heart attack, an embolism, a lightning strike, a bear attack, collapsing cornice, some psycho with an axe, a falling tree, carbon monoxide, even falling asleep at the wheel getting to a mountain. If you can't accept the fact that sometimes "s**t happens", then you live with the illusion that your epic genius and profound wilderness intelligence has put you in total and complete control of yourself, your partners, and the mountain. How mystified you'll be when "s**t happens" to you! - FM
pvnisher
Trip Reports (8)

Post by pvnisher »

Manual transmission for me, left in first gear.
handonbroward
14ers: 42 
13ers: 46
Trip Reports (5)

Post by handonbroward »

Presto wrote: Wed Nov 04, 2020 3:27 pm Okay, forgive me if I'm just ignorant, but is this happening in vehicles with an automatic transmission? When I turn my truck off (2005 Toyota Tacoma) on a hill or otherwise non-flat surface, I always put the truck into gear AND put the emergency brake on. Or is it that the vehicle is left idling and people are just depending on the parking brake? :-k (And, I understand the situation of a cable failing.)
"Drive shaft repairs" eh. Loosened the driveline trying to adjust some repairs that I had done the day before on the flat in the garage, so I was being extra careless, henceforth why it rolled away. Wasn't doing anything under the truck after I loosened the driveline so did something stupid to try to line some things up and it disconnected, at which point I discovered the e brake was not working :-#

Too many years of working on cars/trucks in friends' barns leads to redneck style solutions sometimes...
"I hurt, therefore I am" - Barry Blanchard
bergsteigen
14ers: 58  52  18 
13ers: 538 100 12
Trip Reports (237)

Post by bergsteigen »

My manual ‘02 Taco had a bad habit of rolling because of because of the Fairbanks frozen factor, where you could drive with the e-brake engaged and not feel the difference. At -40 everything feels likes a brick. The tires go flat and it drives sluggishly. I always engage the e brake when parking, as well putting it in gear if turning off. I’ve had to readjust the e-brake every few years, especially as I caught it rolling towards my cabin in winter once.

Living in Colorado since, I haven’t had problems, but I’ve also not tempted fate by leaving it running on a slope. I’ve been at the exit of Black Bear Pass by the waterfalls, and it was nerve racking just turning the truck around there! No plans to drive that side of the pass, ever.

Edit: I always chock the tires on an incline.
Last edited by bergsteigen on Thu Nov 05, 2020 12:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Auto racing, bull fighting, and mountain climbing are the only real sports ... all others are games." - Ernest Hemingway (or was it Barnaby Conrad?)
Your knees only get so many bumps in life, don't waste them on moguls!
“No athlete is truly tested until they’ve stared an injury in the face and come out on the other side stronger than ever” -anonymous

http://otinasadventures.com @otina
mtree
Trip Reports (0)

Post by mtree »

I've seen too many trucks roll away for various reasons. So I ALWAYS place a solid rock or two behind my wheels when parking on even the slightest hill. And I try to park away from any potential rolling "traffic" just in case...although this is not always possible. That was one crazy video! Wow.
- I didn't say it was your fault. I said I was blaming you.