Top 5 Music - What Have We Learned?

Items that do not fit the categories above.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Wentzl
14ers: 58  20 
13ers: 55
Trip Reports (49)

Top 5 Music - What Have We Learned?

Post by Wentzl »

I have enjoyed scrolling through the music selections in the "Top 5 Bands" thread and had a thought that might be fun.

Never mind about your personal favorites. The point of this thread is to hear what you discovered. What has come to your attention, music wise, because of this thread.

I have to say, in my world, music that evokes an emotion is good music. And even after the novelty wore off, my initial contribution this list still makes me laugh out loud.

A couple words about my selection.

I understand it is a pretty narrow window. If you love Norwegian Death Metal, you might find it offensive how they trivialize the genre (Thurs, 7/31/18 post, I am talking to you!).

If you don't like the genre, you can't get past the growling lyrics.

But, while there were several runner ups, my favorite totally new encounter because of the "Top 5 Bands" thread is:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2BEvh6HSQc0

Looking forward to seeing what the "best of the best" turns out to be in this distillation process. . . .

Any takers?

A close second to my "favorite newly discovered" pick:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3JFb_aOn6rc

cant watch without grinning like a fool, but not quite laugh out loud, hence not first choice.

Yeah, yeah, yeah, lots of good music in the thread, but this is where you share something that was new to you!
Shorter of Breath and One Day Closer . . .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YZXKgl8turY

"Social Justice" = Injustice
Progressives are Oxy-morons
cedica
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Top 5 Music - What Have We Learned?

Post by cedica »

^^^ Ahem, both of these are from "To beer or not to beer" thread, so I will go ahead and blatantly claim that we haven't learned anything from "Top 5" thread. :iluvbeer:

(Btw have you seen "making of" that S'N'S video above, where accordion player falls into the lake?)
Wentzl
14ers: 58  20 
13ers: 55
Trip Reports (49)

Post by Wentzl »

You are missing the point.

I Learned a lot. Never heard of either of them, now I am enlightened.

What have you gleaned from the thread that is new to you?
Shorter of Breath and One Day Closer . . .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YZXKgl8turY

"Social Justice" = Injustice
Progressives are Oxy-morons
greenonion
14ers: 50  1 
13ers: 2
Trip Reports (0)

Post by greenonion »

Excellent idea for a topic. Gonna take some folks a while to figure this out due to maybe needing to revisit lots of entries in that thread. But so be be it. I’ve had a similar idea of going through that thread and being exposed to new music. Just haven’t yet in earnest. Intend to get back to this. Winter on the way. Theoretically...
cedica
Trip Reports (0)

Post by cedica »

Wentzl wrote: Fri Oct 23, 2020 8:40 pm You are missing the point.

I Learned a lot. Never heard of either of them, now I am enlightened.

What have you gleaned from the thread that is new to you?
You are probably right, but I will have to go through many many pages of that thread to figure this out.

Right now I can tell you that your contribution to "Song lyrics game" thread made me dig out first Eno's album, just to reconfirm long standing impression that it was one of the best in '70s, if not ever. So I have to thank you for reconnecting with nearly forgotten parts of myself ("I used to wake up the ocean, I used to walk on clouds" Bowie sort of thing). Grazie, Dottore!
Wish I lived in CO
14ers: 58 
Trip Reports (11)

Post by Wish I lived in CO »

Been tuning into Christian music at work the last 6 months. I learned that all my favorite 80's songs I thought I couldn't live without no longer swirl in my head. Don't get me wrong I still like them but it's been a refreshing change to listen to something that's not 30 or 40 years old. An old dog can change.
I look up to the mountains - does my help come from there? My help comes from the Lord, who made heaven and earth! Psalm 121:1-2