Gone?? "Meet the Colorado girl who hikes 14ers in high heels!

Items that do not fit the categories above.
Forum rules
Please do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website. For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
User avatar
Summit Stomper
Posts: 136
Joined: 11/1/2006
14ers:summits39 

Gone?? "Meet the Colorado girl who hikes 14ers in high heels!

Post by Summit Stomper » Tue Oct 20, 2020 8:45 am

This was an interesting read. Did it get removed or something?
Teeth to the wind!
User avatar
Dan_Suitor
Posts: 607
Joined: 4/23/2012
14ers:summits58 winter1 
13ers:summits60 
Trip Reports (3)

Re: Gone?? "Meet the Colorado girl who hikes 14ers in high heels!

Post by Dan_Suitor » Tue Oct 20, 2020 8:49 am

Century Bound, eventually.
User avatar
highpilgrim
Posts: 2873
Joined: 3/14/2008
14ers:summits58 
13ers:summits82 winter1 
Trip Reports (1)

Re: Gone?? "Meet the Colorado girl who hikes 14ers in high heels!

Post by highpilgrim » Tue Oct 20, 2020 9:02 am

It had already devolved into a bunch of old white guys arguing about a young woman doing something fun she wanted to do that none of them could.

While railing against her temerity as if none of them did anything silly, stupid or ignorant in THEIR youth. :roll:
Call on God, but row away from the rocks.
Hunter S Thompson

Walk away from the droning and leave the hive behind.
Dick Derkase
User avatar
cougar
Posts: 802
Joined: 8/9/2007
14ers:summits44 
13ers:summits83 winter2 
Trip Reports (10)
Contact:

Re: Gone?? "Meet the Colorado girl who hikes 14ers in high heels!

Post by cougar » Tue Oct 20, 2020 9:18 am

She sped off in a green subaru
http://www.listsofjohn.com/m/cougar

"If we don't change direction, we'll end up where we're going."
"Bushwhacking is like a box of chocolates - you never know what you're gonna get."
"Don't give up on your dreams, stay asleep"
User avatar
shays_days
Posts: 94
Joined: 7/18/2018
14ers:summits13 winter3 

Re: Gone?? "Meet the Colorado girl who hikes 14ers in high heels!

Post by shays_days » Tue Oct 20, 2020 10:02 am

I can’t stand people who think hiking is some noble and serious pursuit that deserves to be honored :roll: It’s a completely arbitrary and selfish sport that benefits no one but yourself. We do it because it’s fun and we enjoy it, it’s no more important than baseball or drawing or guitar or underwater basket weaving. Pretty self centered to call someone having fun with your hobby in their own way a mockery of the hobby lol. Climbing a mountain in heels is no more contrived than climbing a mountain in hiking boots.

In fact one could make the argument that the people like Erin who share their achievements with as many people as possible, and make this hobby seem fun and accessible are doing the greatest good because at least they are inspiring other people to go outside in fun ways and be healthy.
Last edited by shays_days on Tue Oct 20, 2020 10:13 am, edited 2 times in total.
User avatar
rijaca
Posts: 3107
Joined: 7/9/2006
14ers:summits58 winter4 
13ers:summits244 ski1 winter3 
Trip Reports (1)

Re: Gone?? "Meet the Colorado girl who hikes 14ers in high heels!

Post by rijaca » Tue Oct 20, 2020 10:09 am

shays_days wrote:
Tue Oct 20, 2020 10:02 am
I can’t stand people who think hiking is a noble and serious pursuit that deserves to be honored :roll: It’s a completely arbitrary and selfish sport that benefits no one but yourself. We do it because it’s fun and we enjoy it, it’s no more important than baseball or drawing or guitar or underwater basket weaving. Pretty self centered to call someone having fun with your hobby in their own way a mockery of the hobby lol.
:thumbup:

Met some random guy on top of Torreys a couple 4th of Julys ago. He was grilling hamburgers and hotdogs for all the other peeps...
GrillingonTorreys.small.jpg
GrillingonTorreys.small.jpg (30.23 KiB) Viewed 408 times
"A couple more shots of whiskey,
the women 'round here start looking good"
User avatar
shays_days
Posts: 94
Joined: 7/18/2018
14ers:summits13 winter3 

Re: Gone?? "Meet the Colorado girl who hikes 14ers in high heels!

Post by shays_days » Tue Oct 20, 2020 10:11 am

rijaca wrote:
Tue Oct 20, 2020 10:09 am
:thumbup:

Met some random guy on top of Torreys a couple 4th of Julys ago. He was grilling hamburgers and hotdogs for all the other peeps...

GrillingonTorreys.small.jpg
You know, I think I may have ran into the same guys on Bierstadt a couple years ago. Summited at 6am to a hot eggs, bacon and coffee breakfast. It was probably the happiest moment of my hiking career.
User avatar
Summit Stomper
Posts: 136
Joined: 11/1/2006
14ers:summits39 

Re: Gone?? "Meet the Colorado girl who hikes 14ers in high heels!

Post by Summit Stomper » Tue Oct 20, 2020 10:18 am

shays_days wrote:
Tue Oct 20, 2020 10:02 am
I can’t stand people who think hiking is some noble and serious pursuit that deserves to be honored :roll: It’s a completely arbitrary and selfish sport that benefits no one but yourself. We do it because it’s fun and we enjoy it, it’s no more important than baseball or drawing or guitar or underwater basket weaving. Pretty self centered to call someone having fun with your hobby in their own way a mockery of the hobby lol. Climbing a mountain in heels is no more contrived than climbing a mountain in hiking boots.

In fact one could make the argument that the people like Erin who share their achievements with as many people as possible, and make this hobby seem fun and accessible are doing the greatest good because at least they are inspiring other people to go outside in fun ways and be healthy.
Yes...it's not like it was her first 14er with no experience. She probably had a pair of backup shoes if needed. It's fun to be different to either see peoples reactions or just to see if you can do it! Didn't one person climb Everest only using his arms, because he had no legs?
Teeth to the wind!
User avatar
nsaladin
Posts: 608
Joined: 11/20/2013
14ers:summits58 ski1 winter5 
13ers:summits10 ski1 

Re: Gone?? "Meet the Colorado girl who hikes 14ers in high heels!

Post by nsaladin » Tue Oct 20, 2020 10:43 am

cougar wrote:
Tue Oct 20, 2020 9:18 am
She sped off in a green subaru
=D>
User avatar
brichardsson
Posts: 384
Joined: 7/19/2016
14ers: List not added
13ers:summits3 

Re: Gone?? "Meet the Colorado girl who hikes 14ers in high heels!

Post by brichardsson » Tue Oct 20, 2020 10:49 am

shays_days wrote:
Tue Oct 20, 2020 10:02 am
Climbing a mountain in heels is no more contrived than climbing a mountain in hiking boots.
why do you have a ruin an otherwise perfectly fine point by saying something to stupid?
User avatar
shays_days
Posts: 94
Joined: 7/18/2018
14ers:summits13 winter3 

Re: Gone?? "Meet the Colorado girl who hikes 14ers in high heels!

Post by shays_days » Tue Oct 20, 2020 10:57 am

brichardsson wrote:
Tue Oct 20, 2020 10:49 am
shays_days wrote:
Tue Oct 20, 2020 10:02 am
Climbing a mountain in heels is no more contrived than climbing a mountain in hiking boots.
why do you have a ruin an otherwise perfectly fine point by saying something to stupid?
I see your point but you don’t have to be rude about it.

I phrased badly. I was trying to add some perspective. Climbing a mountain or technical climbing is a contrived way of getting fit to a lot of people. How many times have you heard “lol you know there’s a road on the other side right” or “you know there’s a trail?” when you are climbing with ropes? Of course we know but it is fun to make it harder in the way that makes us happy.

In the same vein, tons of people say “lol why would you hike in heels”? Because it’s fun for me.

There, I have elaborated my stupid point.
User avatar
ezabielski
Posts: 720
Joined: 7/13/2012
14ers:summits43 winter1 
13ers:summits8 

Re: Gone?? "Meet the Colorado girl who hikes 14ers in high heels!

Post by ezabielski » Tue Oct 20, 2020 11:53 am

People on this website are, generally, under the delusion that their opinions matter.
Post Reply