Missing Zion hiker found after 2 weeks

Items that do not fit the categories above.
Forum rules
Please do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website. For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
onebyone
14ers:summits58 ski1 

Re: Missing Zion hiker found after 2 weeks

Post by onebyone » Wed Oct 21, 2020 9:32 pm

2giqs wrote:
Wed Oct 21, 2020 8:34 pm
DeTour wrote:
Wed Oct 21, 2020 11:43 am
Today’s update makes a bit more sense.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/10/21/us/rescu ... index.html

The “tip” was someone spotting her hammock. So you can drop the conspiracy theories based on one three-letter word. To be lost so close to civilization may seem far-fetched, but I’m reminded of a woman who died a few years ago when she walked off the Appalachian Trail to pee, and got turned around. Her body and journal were found some time later. The article expands on the head injury in a way that sounds more plausible, and addresses the fact that the water which was so close was undrinkable.

I’m not saying that proves her family’s story, but I think people should entertain the possibility that it’s true. Skepticism is fine; the smug certainty of some conspiracy theorists (more on the FB group than here) is revolting to me. Comparable to armchair experts analyzing what someone did wrong after they died in a mountain accident based on a few tiny snippets of information. If true, the woman and her family went through a gruesome experience.
https://thetrek.co/appalachian-trail/bo ... ry-largay/
Wandering off the AT and getting lost in the bushes along the Virgin River with cars driving by is just a bit different. Just a bit.
mtree
14ers: List not added

Post by mtree » Thu Oct 22, 2020 9:02 am

onebyone wrote:
Wed Oct 21, 2020 9:32 pm

Wandering off the AT and getting lost in the bushes along the Virgin River with cars driving by is just a bit different. Just a bit.
Find your own wilderness.
- I didn't say it was your fault. I said I was blaming you.
Buckie06
14ers:summits43 ski2 winter3 
13ers:summits13 ski2 winter3 
Trip Reports (2)

Post by Buckie06 » Fri Oct 23, 2020 7:18 am

I cannot vouch for the accuracy of this, but it's starting to become apparent what the motive was......

"Meanwhile, over on Reddit, some people who know her are weighing in:

Holly posted a few months back about her idea to get ‘lost’ then score a movie deal out of it, there was a back and forth planning it with her daughter on Facebook. This was deleted prior to her going to Zion.

There have been so many posts on Facebook, Instagram, Reddit, etc of locals who reported seeing her in town and at the grocery store.”
mtree
14ers: List not added

Post by mtree » Fri Oct 23, 2020 9:14 am

Buckie06 wrote:
Fri Oct 23, 2020 7:18 am
I cannot vouch for the accuracy of this, but it's starting to become apparent what the motive was......

Holly posted a few months back about her idea to get ‘lost’ then score a movie deal out of it, there was a back and forth planning it with her daughter on Facebook. This was deleted prior to her going to Zion.

There have been so many posts on Facebook, Instagram, Reddit, etc of locals who reported seeing her in town and at the grocery store.”
Hahahaha! I LOVE it when a plan comes together!
- I didn't say it was your fault. I said I was blaming you.
Hiker Mike
14ers:summits29 
13ers:summits4 

Post by Hiker Mike » Fri Oct 23, 2020 9:52 am

"Just because you love the mountains doesn't mean the mountains love you."
-Lou Whittaker
CaptCO
14ers:summits58 winter1 
13ers:summits41 
Trip Reports (5)

Post by CaptCO » Fri Oct 23, 2020 10:13 am

Buckie06 wrote:
Fri Oct 23, 2020 7:18 am

And then the smoking gun appeared
"It's a thing if you want it to be a thing. What others think of something is irrelevant." -OldSchool
mountainrev
14ers:summits20 

Post by mountainrev » Fri Oct 23, 2020 12:43 pm

Her sister has spoken out to "try to clear up discrepancies." She now says that she didn't drink anything at all during the entire 12+ days, and that she was able to walk out under her own power because of an adrenaline rush. Keep digging!

https://www.foxnews.com/us/zion-hiker-h ... ies-rescue
justiner
14ers:summits58 winter4 
13ers:summits138 
Trip Reports (25)

Post by justiner » Fri Oct 23, 2020 1:04 pm

This is becoming a better movie plot than what she originally intended. I think the title should be, "Scenarios in which you pay for your own SAR"

But if all the accusations of her pre-plotting to get lost turn out to be true, that she also is able to receive counseling of some sort.
Ptglhs
14ers:summits58 winter8 
13ers:summits73 winter3 
Trip Reports (2)

Post by Ptglhs » Fri Oct 23, 2020 1:05 pm

mountainrev wrote:
Fri Oct 23, 2020 12:43 pm
Her sister has spoken out to "try to clear up discrepancies." She now says that she didn't drink anything at all during the entire 12+ days, and that she was able to walk out under her own power because of an adrenaline rush. Keep digging!

2 weeks without water? Yeah... I'm calling BS on that one.
onebyone
14ers:summits58 ski1 

Post by onebyone » Fri Oct 23, 2020 1:07 pm

mountainrev wrote:

When so called “experienced” hikers can’t even make up a story that would make sense to experienced hikers ha ha
mountainrev
14ers:summits20 

Post by mountainrev » Fri Oct 23, 2020 1:13 pm

Here's a link to an article on the Today Show, where the sister gave the interview: https://www.today.com/news/sister-missi ... al-t195709

Note the picture of the tree branch and the rows of hash marks made with a Sharpie where she kept track of the days. She did an excellent job of keeping her rows neat and even, despite not having anything to drink for two weeks and suffering from a concussion. I'm impressed.
Mtnman200
14ers:summits58 winter1 
13ers:summits358 winter1 
Trip Reports (71)

Post by Mtnman200 » Fri Oct 23, 2020 1:18 pm

Ptglhs wrote:
Fri Oct 23, 2020 1:05 pm
mountainrev wrote:

2 weeks without water? Yeah... I'm calling BS on that one.
Exactly. Three days is about as long as someone can survive without water.
"Adventure without risk is not possible." - Reinhold Messner