Missing Zion hiker found after 2 weeks

Items that do not fit the categories above.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
peter303
14ers: 34 
13ers: 12
Trip Reports (3)

Missing Zion hiker found after 2 weeks

Post by peter303 »

greenonion
14ers: 50  1 
13ers: 2
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Missing Zion hiker found after 2 weeks

Post by greenonion »

Wow. More to that story...
HikerGuy
14ers: 58 
13ers: 426 8
Trip Reports (9)

Post by HikerGuy »

greenonion wrote: Sun Oct 18, 2020 5:15 pm More to that story...
That's what I was thinking too.
Scott P
14ers: 58  16 
13ers: 50 13
Trip Reports (16)

Post by Scott P »

greenonion wrote: Sun Oct 18, 2020 5:15 pm Wow. More to that story...
She denfinitely wasn't lost on the Emerald Pools Trail for two weeks.
I'm old, slow and fat. Unfortunately, those are my good qualities.
JChitwood
14ers: 58 
13ers: 51
Trip Reports (0)

Post by JChitwood »

Huh???? Woman leaves for a day hike with fairly large pack but no evidence she had overnight gear or provisions but is out for 12 nights. With crews searching for her she runs into another park visitor who identifies her but she apparently didn’t request help from them. But her family shows up and she just walks out with them? And she was at the park with her daughter two weeks before all the madness? Californians.
"I'll make it." - Jimmy Chitwood
Rollie Free
14ers: 45 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Rollie Free »

Comments on Facebook are also very puzzled and suspicious of this.

Could be just a very poorly reported story. It happens a lot.
"Quicker than I can tell it, my hands failed to hold, my feet slipped, and down I went with almost an arrow’s rapidity. An eternity of thought, of life, of death, wife, and home concentrated on my mind in those two seconds. Fortunately for me, I threw my right arm around a projecting boulder which stood above the icy plain some two or three feet." Rev. Elijah Lamb
Bill G
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Bill G »

SkiFree
Trip Reports (0)

Post by SkiFree »

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.cnn.co ... index.html

I was originally expecting some nefarious twist that eludes to here going on some extravagant vacation with everyone's gofund me money.

Especially with her being discovered by a random hiker that saw her.

Now I am just puzzled that someone would encounter someone so close to death and then just call a ranger after their hike was complete

I have some serious trust issues
Scott P
Trip Reports (16)

Post by Scott P »

Now I am just puzzled that someone would encounter someone so close to death and then just call a ranger after their hike was complete.
What else were they supposed to do? Stay with her until she died? Carrying a person out isn't exactly easy. Plus you aren't supposed to move someone with head trauma unless you have to. He or she went for help.
SkiFree
Trip Reports (0)

Post by SkiFree »

I could be reading the situation wrong but if I came across someone that was so dehydrated that they couldn't open their mouth and with dried blood from head trauma that happened over a week ago. Then I would of done more than just call the ranger with a tip.

I understand that you shouldn't move someone after a head injury but this was over a week after the injury.

I understand that she would have been to heavy to properly carry with one person but in a life or death situation wouldn't you immediately go for help and then guide them to the victim to expedite the search, instead of calling the ranger tip line?

I guess I am reading to much into the text without any idea of what happened. I just feel like they wouldn't report it as a "credible tip" if someone straight up called search and rescue.

But I guess I am just a keyboard warrior over here trying to kill time on the head
onebyone
14ers: 58  1 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by onebyone »

The quotes in the story linked above don't seem to be by the hiker who encountered the supposed lost woman.
The quotes seem to be coming from the woman's daughter- meaning the whole head trauma and being disoriented story.

So far, I don't believe any of this story. I would like to hear the account from the hiker who saw the lost woman and tipped off park rangers.
I would like to know how far from the parking lot was she located. And a hiker who finds someone on the brink of death after being wounded in the wilderness for 12 days isn't calling in a "tip." You are a bit more involved than that.
Scott P
Trip Reports (16)

Post by Scott P »

Weird for sure. The NPS has only given very skimpy details, which is unusual for a high profile rescue/accident (and this one high profile because the NPS posted all kinds of messages urging the public for help in finding here. Plus SAR was looking for her.

Although there is much to be skeptical about, I guess she could be telling the truth (though it's still hard to believe).

I remember some years ago a bicycler got in a wreck under the freeway bridge in the Salt Lake metro. He was there for several days and no one could hear him scream over the traffic noise.

So I guess it is possible. There is still a lot to be skeptical about though and it does seem far fetched.