Missing Zion hiker found after 2 weeks

Items that do not fit the categories above.
Forum rules
Please do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website. For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
crestone14ers
14ers:summits58 

Re: Missing Zion hiker found after 2 weeks

Post by crestone14ers » Sat Oct 24, 2020 4:31 pm

DArcyS wrote:
Sat Oct 24, 2020 3:01 pm
This is bringing back memories of a fellow who went for a winter hike up Mt. Bierstadt from Guanella Pass in conditions with low visibility and a impending storm, descended the wrong ridge to end up in the basin to the east of the Bierstadt, and spent at least two wintry nights in the backcountry. In the news it was reported that he didn't tell people where he was going, but it also came out that after the weather broke he could see where he was. Eventually a rescue helicopter spotted him and extracted him from the backcountry. The local news stations showed him getting off the helicopter wearing a down suit and he waived with a smile to the cameras. He also offered advice in a news conference that if you're lost, stay put and let the rescuers come and find you. Got all that? This was a short time after the Ralston affair, and when I "added it all up," it seemed like this guy was staging his own "getting lost" plan. You don't tell people where you're going, but your advice is to remain stationary until rescuers find you? Sure, makes sense. And you're not willing to reclimb the peak under sunny skies that you were willing to climb under threatening weather conditions?

When people get lost, I always question whether a motive exists to gain a little Ralston-esque fame. Doubt if I'm alone.
DArcy... sorry to tell you... I know the guy in question, former CMC instructor, accomplished on the peaks, Denali. he and I hiked and climbed a lot together. He simply screwed up, he admitted it, his glasses froze over, left his goggles home, lost his bearings, went down the wrong side, had gear to survive, hunkered down, the weather was downright total winter-on. Yes, he was embarrassed, but he survived. He wasn't looking to be the next Ralston, far from it. Has three kids and a wife who he wanted to come home to. Down suit? No. He had gear for Denali and a bag for survival. That's how his pack was usually for solo winter climbs. His intelligence is like yours... left brain prepared. He simply screwed up, nothing more.
CaptCO
14ers:summits58 winter1 
13ers:summits41 
Trip Reports (5)

Post by CaptCO » Sat Oct 24, 2020 5:27 pm

crestone14ers wrote:
Sat Oct 24, 2020 4:31 pm
DArcyS wrote:
This is bringing back memories of a fellow who went for a winter hike up Mt. Bierstadt from Guanella Pass in conditions with low visibility and a impending storm, descended the wrong ridge to end up in the basin to the east of the Bierstadt, and spent at least two wintry nights in the backcountry. In the news it was reported that he didn't tell people where he was going, but it also came out that after the weather broke he could see where he was. Eventually a rescue helicopter spotted him and extracted him from the backcountry. The local news stations showed him getting off the helicopter wearing a down suit and he waived with a smile to the cameras. He also offered advice in a news conference that if you're lost, stay put and let the rescuers come and find you. Got all that? This was a short time after the Ralston affair, and when I "added it all up," it seemed like this guy was staging his own "getting lost" plan. You don't tell people where you're going, but your advice is to remain stationary until rescuers find you? Sure, makes sense. And you're not willing to reclimb the peak under sunny skies that you were willing to climb under threatening weather conditions?

When people get lost, I always question whether a motive exists to gain a little Ralston-esque fame. Doubt if I'm alone.
DArcy... sorry to tell you... I know the guy in question, former CMC instructor, accomplished on the peaks, Denali. he and I hiked and climbed a lot together. He simply screwed up, he admitted it, his glasses froze over, left his goggles home, lost his bearings, went down the wrong side, had gear to survive, hunkered down, the weather was downright total winter-on. Yes, he was embarrassed, but he survived. He wasn't looking to be the next Ralston, far from it. Has three kids and a wife who he wanted to come home to. Down suit? No. He had gear for Denali and a bag for survival. That's how his pack was usually for solo winter climbs. His intelligence is like yours... left brain prepared. He simply screwed up, nothing more.
Well said, most can plan to a T. At the end of the day, s**t can hit the fan no matter what.
"It's a thing if you want it to be a thing. What others think of something is irrelevant." -OldSchool
DArcyS
14ers:summits58 
13ers:summits487 
Trip Reports (3)

Post by DArcyS » Sat Oct 24, 2020 7:44 pm

crestone14ers wrote:
Sat Oct 24, 2020 4:31 pm
DArcyS wrote:

How much time has passed? Around 20 years? So, perhaps my recollection is at fault, but this event stuck in my mind because of the circumstances. Yes, we can be forgiving and give this fellow the benefit of the doubt. Nothing wrong with that, it's being a good friend. But neither you nor I can read this fellow's mind, so we will never know what his true intentions were. All that can be said with a fair degree of certainty is that there's a probability that he intentionally got lost for a planned bivouac to test his skills and equipment, and it is not 0. In your eyes, it's darn close to 0, but it's not zero. Think Madoff, for example ... you never know.
greenonion
14ers:summits32 winter1 
13ers:summits1 

Post by greenonion » Sat Oct 24, 2020 10:52 pm

My god let this rest
Oh wild West Wind, thou breath of Autumn’s being...

Ode to the West Wind
timisimaginary
14ers:summits2 
Trip Reports (2)

Post by timisimaginary » Mon Oct 26, 2020 1:04 pm

i think the more important question here is: did she or did she not find Forrest Fenn's hidden treasure chest?
social distancing since the day i was born...
druid2112
14ers:summits46 winter6 
13ers:summits31 winter4 
Trip Reports (6)

Post by druid2112 » Mon Oct 26, 2020 4:28 pm

I mean.... it's just too funny. (I do hope that she gets some mental help). I mean, the sharpie, the perfect hash marks on the tree, that will definitely make the movie. Maybe shoulda researched that whole 12 days w/o water thing in the research phase tho. Just too funny, or not, since a lot of sparse resources were wasted.
"You can't really dust for vomit." - Nigel Tufnel
onebyone
14ers:summits58 ski1 

Post by onebyone » Mon Oct 26, 2020 7:27 pm

greenonion wrote:
Sat Oct 24, 2020 10:52 pm
My god let this rest
You just bumped the thread.
Candace66
14ers:summits42 winter1 
13ers:summits180 winter4 

Post by Candace66 » Tue Oct 27, 2020 10:31 pm

I'm looking forward to seeing this NPS report...

"Zion National Park is currently finishing up an investigative report on Courtier's case and officials say they plan to release it to the public as soon as it is complete.

Details of the case, including how much taxpayer money the search cost, how many staff and volunteers searched for her, her discovery and other conclusions will be included in the report."

https://www.thespectrum.com/story/news/ ... 733041001/
"One criterion for climbing a peak is that you should gain a vertical height under your own power equal to your peak's rise from its highest connecting saddle with a neighbor peak...Beyond this minimum gain, you are free to gain as much altitude as your peak-bagging conscience requires." - Gerry Roach, "Colorado 14ers" :wink:
timisimaginary
14ers:summits2 
Trip Reports (2)

Post by timisimaginary » Wed Oct 28, 2020 12:41 pm

Candace66 wrote:
Tue Oct 27, 2020 10:31 pm
I'm looking forward to seeing this NPS report...

"Zion National Park is currently finishing up an investigative report on Courtier's case and officials say they plan to release it to the public as soon as it is complete.

Details of the case, including how much taxpayer money the search cost, how many staff and volunteers searched for her, her discovery and other conclusions will be included in the report."

https://www.thespectrum.com/story/news/ ... 733041001/
hopefully this will clear up whether she was hiking in high heels or not.
social distancing since the day i was born...
timstich
14ers:summits11 

Post by timstich » Thu Oct 29, 2020 9:57 am

The concussion story element is always added to explain bizarre behavior or discrepancies in what the lost person does. Remember the AWOL guy Lance "lost" in Eldorado Canyon in Boulder some years ago? I was there when his friend reported him lost. He had fallen and "hit his head" right off the trail, which explained why he was wandering off into the woods. Of course he was actually getting on a bus to another state later that day.
onebyone
14ers:summits58 ski1 

Post by onebyone » Thu Oct 29, 2020 10:16 am

timstich wrote:
Thu Oct 29, 2020 9:57 am
The concussion story element is always added to explain bizarre behavior or discrepancies in what the lost person does. Remember the AWOL guy Lance "lost" in Eldorado Canyon in Boulder some years ago? I was there when his friend reported him lost. He had fallen and "hit his head" right off the trail, which explained why he was wandering off into the woods. Of course he was actually getting on a bus to another state later that day.
The family is now starting to throw out the mental illness angle. She's now "getting the mental health help she needs" and "she has struggled with mental health issues."

This is likely what is going on here. Even if there is a "selling story" angle involved. The family is saying that the media has really blown this story up. But, in all reality, it was the family who claimed she survived because she was near a water source, she hit her head, she couldn't walk two steps without falling down, and so on. None of which was true.

There are a lot of crazy people out there and it's hard to be mad at someone who is not in their right mind. She prob went off her meds, was on her own away from family and friend support, and it just went downhill from there. Glad she's getting help and hopefully can back on her feet soon (pun unintended).
NathanRL
14ers:summits29 
13ers:summits13 

Post by NathanRL » Fri Oct 30, 2020 11:03 am

timstich wrote:
Thu Oct 29, 2020 9:57 am
Wow, I had forgotten about that. His parents were friends of friends and I helped search, which mostly consisted of wandering around hiking trails screaming his name. That was so bizarre, to learn it was all a cover story.