Current Lindsey Gully Conditions?

Items that do not fit the categories above.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
CCofCO
14ers: 42 
13ers: 6
Trip Reports (0)

Current Lindsey Gully Conditions?

Post by CCofCO »

Does anyone have any intel from this past weekend on the current state of the NW Gully on Lindsey? The most recent conditions report is from nearly a week ago and I'm curious if there's been any additional melt to some of the ice/snow over last few days?

Thank you kindly!
9patrickmurphy
14ers: 50  1  2 
13ers: 320 24 2
Trip Reports (1)

Re: Current Lindsey Gully Conditions?

Post by 9patrickmurphy »

Don't take the gully. The gully is only safe with plenty of snow, which there most likely is not right now. The ridge is much safer and very fun. The exposure isn't that bad and the climbing is pretty easy. The gully is a bowling alley and something to avoid if it's not winter or spring conditions.
Snow_Dog_frassati
14ers: 58  8  5 
13ers: 84 4 9
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Snow_Dog_frassati »

9patrickmurphy wrote: Mon Sep 28, 2020 2:11 pm Don't take the gully. The gully is only safe with plenty of snow, which there most likely is not right now. The ridge is much safer and very fun. The exposure isn't that bad and the climbing is pretty easy. The gully is a bowling alley and something to avoid if it's not winter or spring conditions.
+1
The gully is awful.
"A good decision yesterday doesn't absolve me from a bad decision today"
JChitwood
14ers: 58 
13ers: 51
Trip Reports (0)

Post by JChitwood »

Beware the ridge. I’ve never done it only the gully 20 yrs ago and thought it was no big deal other than the usual rockfall potential. But one of my climbing partners who has stood on major summits all over the world said the most scared she’s ever been on a mountain was climbing the ridge on Lindsey.
"I'll make it." - Jimmy Chitwood
geg86
Trip Reports (0)

Post by geg86 »

Highly recommend the ridge this time of year from a safety standpoint. I wouldn't want to do the gully unless it's springtime, but if you do insist on the gully you can keep to climber's right for more stable rock (at that point, may as well stick to the ridge...)
CCofCO
14ers: 42 
13ers: 6
Trip Reports (0)

Post by CCofCO »

Thanks for your comments thus far. While I don't plan on climbing the gully, out of curiosity, how would you say it compares to:
A) Gully approaching Challenger summit
B) C3 couloir on Ellingwood (S Zapata approach)
C) Sneffels scree slopes

Appreciate your thoughts!
Snow_Dog_frassati
14ers: 58  8  5 
13ers: 84 4 9
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Snow_Dog_frassati »

CCofCO wrote: Wed Sep 30, 2020 3:35 pm Thanks for your comments thus far. While I don't plan on climbing the gully, out of curiosity, how would you say it compares to:
C) Sneffels scree slopes

I think it's maybe steeper than Challenger? - I did Challenger in the summer and Lindsey when the the gully had snow and still thought it was sketchy. I did Sneffles in the snow and thought it was fun but I can imagine it being awful if it was melted out.

In general I'd just always choose solid rock over loose rock even if the solid stuff is a little more exposed. I think its easier to manage exposure than loose rock.
"A good decision yesterday doesn't absolve me from a bad decision today"
Hooray187
14ers: 33 
13ers: 3
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Hooray187 »

CCofCO wrote: Wed Sep 30, 2020 3:35 pm Thanks for your comments thus far. While I don't plan on climbing the gully, out of curiosity, how would you say it compares to:
C) Sneffels scree slopes

I haven't done B or C, but the gully on Lindsey is way worse than the "gully" on Challenger. The rockfall potential is much worse with very little place to hide as anything coming off the ridge will head down into the gully as will the rocks from above. Personally, I thought the crux on Lindsey was really fun and not as bad as I was expecting. We went up the ridge and down the gully. I will never be in that gully again.
mtree
Trip Reports (0)

Post by mtree »

I'd say Lindsey's gully is similar to Sneffel's Lavender col... but far different than the scree slope (which is no big deal other than a slog). However, Lavender col has plenty of "hiding" places along the sides when rocks come a tumbling down. You can also avoid launching rocks by staying to the edges. Challenger's gully is not really a gully at all, more of a steep slope/hillside. It gets narrow near the top, but that's not the dangerous area. The issue I had with Challenger is the randomness of the rockfall and how quiet they can be. Silent killers on the loose.

As someone mentioned, you can climb the mostly solid rock to the right of Lindsey's gully and avoid the whole mess. Its class 3, but not bad at all. I highly recommend.
- I didn't say it was your fault. I said I was blaming you.
Scott P
14ers: 58  16 
13ers: 50 13
Trip Reports (16)

Post by Scott P »

The thing about the Lindsey Gully this time of year is that parts of it get no sun during the day. It will likely stay icy the rest of the season. It can be trecherous with a thin coating of ice (that's how it was for us). Dry weather might not help much either because it will just melt the snow on the surrounding rocks, which will refreeze when the water trickles into the gully.
I'm old, slow and fat. Unfortunately, those are my good qualities.
jscully205
14ers: 58  12  39 
13ers: 116 13 7
Trip Reports (0)

Post by jscully205 »

Lindsey's NW Gully is narrower and much more insecure than the 3 you're comparing it to. As stated, it receives hardly any sun, and this time of year specifically there's probably some ice to deal with. It's more insecure because the other 3 at least some talus to get some purchase on and are not as steep. Lindsey's gully on the other hand when I did it, was hard packed dirt that you can easily slip on if you were not using the handrails on the sides. Figurative handrails. Another vote here for avoiding and ascending via the ridge. Much more enjoyable climbing to be had and you're in the sun.