Random health trivia

Items that do not fit the categories above.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Teresa Gergen
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Random health trivia

Post by Teresa Gergen »

Before the massive bilateral PE with infarct - 98-99%. Now 10 years later and older - 92-95% "normal" at rest. Hiking a little foothill at 6000 ft with no pack on without cold fingers - 84-86%. Carrying an overnight pack with 10 days food and technical gear over 12,000 ft passes in the summer - don't ask. Can you say "Slow AF?"
ltlFish99
14ers: 49  3  2 
13ers: 51
Trip Reports (0)

Post by ltlFish99 »

Here in Montrose, I'm at 98. I have not sampled it at high elevations.
Someday I'll try this.
AndrewLyonsGeibel
14ers: 9 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by AndrewLyonsGeibel »

I have a pulse ox that goes in a calf sleeve. Not sure how accurate it is but mine drops a fair amount at 14,000 feet. I honestly don’t notice feeling any different at hiking pace. I’m sure if I took off running it would be noticeable but never tried it. My ex wife used to have significant mental changes at 14,000 feet though which is interesting because she was clearly a better athlete than me. I’d say she had a mental breakdown 2/3 of the time over 13,000 feet. I remember one time she drop kicked a rock for absolutely no reason because she was pissed about … I have no idea what. We weren’t even talking since we were about 50 feet apart so I’m pretty sure it wasn’t me.
peter303
14ers: 34 
13ers: 12
Trip Reports (3)

Post by peter303 »

Supposedly oximeters were useful for deciding if you needed advanced treatment for covid.
Some people had silent hypoxia as a covid symptom: they'd drop below 90% without serious other respiratory symptoms. Some of my hypochondriac acquaintances purchased inexpensive finger oximeters to self-diagnoses their sniffles.

Altitude hypoxia is a different game compared to covid. I wouldnt worry so much about climbing changes. Maybe use it as an acclimatization indicator.