Good peaks to bag in Utah.

Items that do not fit the categories above.
Forum rules
Please do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website. For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
IntrepidXJ
14ers:summits34 
13ers:summits57 
Trip Reports (75)

Re: Good peaks to bag in Utah.

Post by IntrepidXJ » Fri Sep 25, 2020 6:20 am

rdp32 wrote:
Fri Sep 25, 2020 1:04 am
Also, I'm not sure what you meant by "poor man's goblin valley"... is there another goblin valley?
Little Egypt?
Randy Langstraat | ADVENTR.co
drop_bear
14ers:summits54 winter10 
13ers:summits178 winter14 

Post by drop_bear » Fri Sep 25, 2020 8:37 am

rdp32 wrote:
Conor wrote:
Wed Sep 23, 2020 7:11 pm
We just got back from the henry mountains. That, a day at the poor man's goblin valley, scoping out some of irish canyons and little wildhorse/bell made for a great easy 3 day trip with awesome weather that the entire family could handle (4yo to 8yo).

Checking out great basin National Park would probably have nice weather and some easy hiking....
Conor---I'm heading to Goblin Valley with my family in several weeks and am planning on doing wildhorse/bell (assuming good weather/conditions). Which irish canyons did you do? Would you recommend any of them in particular for easy walk-through access (totally non-technical for at least part way)? Also, I'm not sure what you meant by "poor man's goblin valley"... is there another goblin valley?
Assuming you're talking about the Irish canyons in the north wash, you can hike up leprechaun a little ways to a really nice slot section. There were a couple groups that ascended the right fork of blarney, but it's not super easy. Other than that, I'm not aware of any of the Irish canyons that can be done easily without gear.
Scott P
14ers:summits51 winter16 
13ers:summits40 winter12 
Trip Reports (16)

Post by Scott P » Fri Sep 25, 2020 8:47 am

rdp32 wrote:
Would you recommend any of them in particular for easy walk-through access (totally non-technical for at least part way)? Also, I'm not sure what you meant by "poor man's goblin valley"... is there another goblin valley?
Lower Lep has a walk through slot. Death Canyon too. Hog to the waterfalls is nice. Don't miss the big pictograph panel in North Wash near Hog Springs.

Near Little Wildhorse, Farnsworth has a nice walk through slot. The road to get there has some rough spots though.

Crack Canyon has one drop, but we managed it with some babies and grandparents.

Temple Wash is a good easy hike nearby.

There are nice pictographs panels in South Temple Wash.

Wildhorse Window would be great for families, but there is some minor scrambling.

Little Egypt is what he is referring to. It is similar to, but smaller and more colorful than Goblin Valley.
I'm slow and fat. Unfortunately, those are my good qualities.
rdp32
14ers: List not added

Post by rdp32 » Wed Oct 07, 2020 4:44 pm

Scott P wrote:
Fri Sep 25, 2020 8:47 am
rdp32 wrote:
Would you recommend any of them in particular for easy walk-through access (totally non-technical for at least part way)? Also, I'm not sure what you meant by "poor man's goblin valley"... is there another goblin valley?
Lower Lep has a walk through slot. Death Canyon too. Hog to the waterfalls is nice. Don't miss the big pictograph panel in North Wash near Hog Springs.

Near Little Wildhorse, Farnsworth has a nice walk through slot. The road to get there has some rough spots though.

Crack Canyon has one drop, but we managed it with some babies and grandparents.

Temple Wash is a good easy hike nearby.

There are nice pictographs panels in South Temple Wash.

Wildhorse Window would be great for families, but there is some minor scrambling.

Little Egypt is what he is referring to. It is similar to, but smaller and more colorful than Goblin Valley.
Thanks for the suggestions Scott! (and sorry about the late reply... life has been busy). I think we'll do a trip centered around Little Wildhorse Canyon, Wildhorse Window, Goblin Valley, maybe Crack Canyon, and maybe Lower Lep and Hog. When you say "Don't miss the big pictograph panel in North Wash near Hog Springs", do you mean these"? https://www.climb-utah.com/Powell/hogspring.htm
Scott P
14ers:summits51 winter16 
13ers:summits40 winter12 
Trip Reports (16)

Post by Scott P » Wed Oct 07, 2020 5:51 pm

rdp32 wrote:
Wed Oct 07, 2020 4:44 pm
When you say "Don't miss the big pictograph panel in North Wash near Hog Springs", do you mean these"? https://www.climb-utah.com/Powell/hogspring.htm
Yes
I'm slow and fat. Unfortunately, those are my good qualities.