Star Trek vs Star Wars round 2

Items that do not fit the categories above.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
highpilgrim
14ers: 58 
13ers: 84 1
Trip Reports (1)

Re: Star Trek vs Star Wars round 2

Post by highpilgrim »

rijaca wrote: Sat Nov 21, 2020 11:08 am
highpilgrim wrote: Sat Nov 14, 2020 3:44 am Dune.
My daughter is named Jessica. Enough said.
Good call. Glad you didn't name her Feyd-Rautha.
Call on God, but row away from the rocks.
Hunter S Thompson

Walk away from the droning and leave the hive behind.
Dick Derkase
pvnisher
Trip Reports (8)

Post by pvnisher »

highpilgrim wrote: Sat Nov 21, 2020 5:49 pm
rijaca wrote: Sat Nov 21, 2020 11:08 am
highpilgrim wrote: Sat Nov 14, 2020 3:44 am Dune.
My daughter is named Jessica. Enough said.
Good call. Glad you didn't name her Feyd-Rautha.
When you could have gone with Gaius Helen?! Smh.
greenonion
14ers: 50  1 
13ers: 2
Trip Reports (0)

Post by greenonion »

Edit… Can't wait! Out this week. Dune review edit #-o https://www.google.com/amp/s/abcnews.go ... e-80682500
Last edited by greenonion on Wed Oct 20, 2021 10:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
cedica
Trip Reports (0)

Post by cedica »

^^^ :thumbup: Reviews for 1984 movie are even better: https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2021/10/ ... ever-made/
speth
14ers: 58  5 
13ers: 44
Trip Reports (3)

Post by speth »

I've watched it in the last few days - it plays pretty well. Still has problems similar to the Lynch version where you're getting an overload of world-building in the first ten minutes; if I weren't familiar with the Guild, Bene Gesserit, CHOAM, etc, I think the opening would be highly confusing.

Otherwise, it hits its stride in the middle third, and ends on an OK level.

Costumes, acting/casting, special effects, sound, music are all top notch and do a great job of selling the universe. I said to my wife that the costumes especially are knockout - a lot of sci-fi suffers from TNG syndrome in this regard where a different faction, planet or race can be differentiated because they have... a gray sweater with orange stripes...? In Dune the world feels real, down to the uniforms and fashion choices of the people living in it.

So in short, it's not perfect, but it's done well, does honest interpretation from the original Herbert material, and I'm definitely excited for the second film (this one ends about half-way through; it's the catalyst event of the novel for anyone who has read Dune).

All I want is to just have fun, live my life like a son of a gun
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Sarcasm or not, it's not even funny to post something like this. Not at this time. Reported.
CaptainSuburbia
14ers: 58  35 
13ers: 125 9
Trip Reports (44)

Post by CaptainSuburbia »

20211020_094745.jpg
20211020_094745.jpg (90.55 KiB) Viewed 1380 times
Some day our kids will study Clash lyrics in school.
Nothing drives people crazy like people drive people crazy.
Save Challenger Point
ltlFish99
14ers: 49  3  2 
13ers: 51
Trip Reports (0)

Post by ltlFish99 »

Star trek wins over star wars.
peter303
14ers: 34 
13ers: 12
Trip Reports (3)

Post by peter303 »

CaptainSuburbia wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 11:25 am 20211020_094745.jpg
Spaceman Shatner is speaking at the Bellco Theater, Denver Convention Center, Oct 31 1 PM.
Its part of Fan Expo, renamed Denver Comic Con.
I'd advise getting in line an hour early.
greenonion
14ers: 50  1 
13ers: 2
Trip Reports (0)

Post by greenonion »

speth wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 10:58 am I've watched it in the last few days - it plays pretty well. Still has problems similar to the Lynch version where you're getting an overload of world-building in the first ten minutes; if I weren't familiar with the Guild, Bene Gesserit, CHOAM, etc, I think the opening would be highly confusing.

Otherwise, it hits its stride in the middle third, and ends on an OK level.

Costumes, acting/casting, special effects, sound, music are all top notch and do a great job of selling the universe. I said to my wife that the costumes especially are knockout - a lot of sci-fi suffers from TNG syndrome in this regard where a different faction, planet or race can be differentiated because they have... a gray sweater with orange stripes...? In Dune the world feels real, down to the uniforms and fashion choices of the people living in it.

So in short, it's not perfect, but it's done well, does honest interpretation from the original Herbert material, and I'm definitely excited for the second film (this one ends about half-way through; it's the catalyst event of the novel for anyone who has read Dune).
Good review and similar to what I’ve seen. What I love most about your words above are how you referred to “my wife” and not “the wife”. Just me. Liked that a lot